Trailer Trash

Tracking Sandy- UTMF (Read 29 times)

runtraildc

Here's Sandy's link in it's own post (Gary Horn, bib 234).   http://utmf.livetrail.net/

And to help, the time difference between EST and Mt Fuji is 13 hours.  He just came thru the 31k point at about 8:20 am EST.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I looked at the entrants list yesterday.  Three names stood out.  Rob Krar, Gary Robbins, and of course Gary Horn.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Watoni

I looked at the entrants list yesterday.  Three names stood out.  Rob Krar, Gary Robbins, and of course Gary Horn.

I do not think Krar is racing (injury). Go Gary!!! He is through 50km now

Sandy-2

Hi Guys, unfortunately I DNFed at mile 43 (aid station A3 Fijinomiya).  I missed the cutoff time. The Tensi Mountains are brutal, especially in the rain.  The trails go straight up and down and it was as slick as hell. I also won't mention that I spent 35 minutes at about mile 2 stopped by the race team, they stopped 3/4th of the runners crossing a street to alleviate congestion. I still ended up stopped at other places. They added an hour to the A3 cutoff time but I still missed it.

I'll write a RR soon, promise ;-)

tbd.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I'm sorry for your DNF, sounds as if the organization of the race was not in your favor.

When I was tracking you, I had the impression you were doing well and making up a few places in the middle miles. Bummer to hear you were stopped. I hope you still got to enjoy the run!

Run for fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Stopping runners like that sounds so unprofessional, but then that's another culture with different customs. Sorry to hear you had to DNF, especially because it was at least partially because of conditions out of your control.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

runtraildc

I'm sorry to hear about your DNF, Sandy.  I was having a hard time reading japanese and was hoping that the tracking system was down or delayed.

Looking forward to the RR-- next couple of days, right?  Wink  And safe travels back to Korea.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Sorry.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

A quick hit on the aftermath; looks like the finishing rate will be about 40%. I'm guessing there were about 1450 starters and a Japanese guy told me that drops/cutoffs at AS W1 (mile 29) were abt 300 runners and drops/cutoffs at AS A3 (mile 43) were abt 400 runners. That's nearly half the field gone before the 43 mile point.  I'd say mainly because of congestion and race management holding runners 2 miles into the race, they added to the cutoff times, but I don't think enough. The biggest issue was that there was literally no 'open' road or double track for the first few miles so there was absolutely no way to pass the slow runners who line up in the front. It was a little sidewalk for a while then super narrow, and very muddy, single track straight up. Those slow runners held up everyone else behind them. That's what I was stuck behind.

I can't put the blame (or excuse) on the race management, because I messed up and was asleep at the wheel for a while, but it sure does suck to have a huge part of your day dictated by where you stood at the starting line.

tbd.

LB2

Sorry to hear that, Sandy San. Sounds like there was a lot of carnage out there. Maybe you can get Fuji San next year.

LB2

some call me Tim

Bummer. Sandy, it sounds as though you're taking it well... no matter that you contributed to it in some ways; I'd be fuming!