Trailer Trash

Whoa!! It is Wednesday!!! (Read 40 times)

LB2

5 more tonight, easy.

QOTD: What is an important lesson you are reminded of from time to time concerning running?

A couple of days ago I decided to run/walk a portion of my run for a couple of reason. I was tired, and I know that long trail races/runs require me to focus, to varying degrees, on a fast, determined, focused walking effort. I haven't been doing much walking over the past few months, and I was reminded on Monday of a few important things:

1. Walking works different muscles, which also need to be conditioned.

2. You lose less time than you think if you stay focused and keep moving forward, even if you are walking.

3. Walking is a skill that should be practiced and worked into your (my) training more frequently; it can save the day.

LB2

Occasional Runner

6 road miles this morning. Nothing special, just keeping my legs turning over and getting a feel for my overall condition before my race this weekend. For some reason, I'm not really feeling like an ultra right now. I'm physically prepared for 100 miles but something is a little off mentally. I'm hoping that changes in a day or two.

QOTD: In racing, base mileage is important, but proper nutrition and hydration are KING! I'm reminded of this every time I witness a DNF. With the exception of obvious injury, it can almost always be tied back to proper fueling.

LB2

QOTD: In racing, base mileage is important, but proper nutrition and hydration are KING! I'm reminded of this every time I witness a DNF. With the exception of obvious injury, it can almost always be tied back to proper fueling.

I second that!!!

LB2

URD #2. Been dealing with weird foot pain for about 3 weeks...figuring that with the sub-zero wind chills I might as well give it another day off :/

QOTD: Timely topic. Never take it for granted. I haven't had a good, pain-free run in about 3 weeks....not complaining too much yet because I can still run but I'm definitely missing the days of painless running right now.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Afternoon all,

Last night I did 6 miles in the driving snow.  I kept the effort level high because 1. I wanted to get back indoors and 2. Tuesday is my speed work day  We got about 8-10 inches of fine powdery stuff.  It was just me and the plow trucks...those guys are my snowstorm buddies (in my head).  The plan is for 7 today.  The sidewalks will probably be shoveled this time.

I drove into NYC today...man those people are crazy.  Overall there is a low level of preparedness for this kind of weather...there were some cold looking people out today.  Two times I saw women almost fall and upon closer inspection, both were wearing high heeled boots.  Nothing like looking good while you bust your ass.  Today would be the perfect day for a pair of yak-trax.

QOTD: I've been reminding myself about consistency since running Stone Mill 50 unprepared.  When I look back at 2013, I ran ~1250 miles.  I can't help but think that if I would have organized those miles in a more consistent, goal oriented manner I could have benefitted much more...almost feels like a waste.  Consistency and slowly/steadily building are my lessons/resolutions for 2014.

**Ask me about streaking**

sugnim

Howdy all. I had to be creative to get my run in today. I'm with my 3 month old son this morning and will be working late tonight. So, while he napped, I measured the distance from the end of our living room to the end of our kitchen, and I kept a tally on the wall for the number of times that I ran back and forth through the house. I only got 3.18 miles before he woke up, but that's better than nothing. I may do the same thing tomorrow & Friday.

QOTD: Have fun is the most important lesson in running for me, and I constantly re-learn it.

AT-runner

Tim

Going to do 4 tonight with the "Gettysburg Beer Runners" group, then have a craft beer.  I hope I brought enough clothes with me.  -15 WC forecasted for our run.

QOTD:  +1 walking training. +1 fuel and hydration.

I don't do well with "drink when thirsty", and it really shows in winter running when I rarely, if ever, feel thirsty.  I have to remind myself more in the winter to take in fluid otherwise I'll really feel it late in a run (like yesterday, for example).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

For the first time since early December, Rocky and I ran on the trails. The temperature was 9 degrees so the ground and flooded sections were frozen, and it was a pretty enjoyable run. We ran 8 miles and finished just as the sun was coming up.

QOTD: To stretch, and to watch out for roots.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

TripleBock

8.5 TM before work

Plan for 16 TM after work with 5x5minutes @ CV pace

QOTD:  I need more to my fitness life than running.  I am mentally and physically healthier if I fit in many other activities that I love to do.

Truth around walking using different muscles ~ I have been trying to add a little walking every post run to build my walking ability.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Rest day, since it was 6*F this morning and windy, and there was a foot of snow.

QOTD:  I am reminded from time to time that body glide is my friend.  Sometimes chafing hurts worse than my muscles.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No running...nothing at all.  Wait...did some x-training last night with the boys -- shoveling the driveway.

QOTD: stay healthy...much easier said than done

Have a good day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Low_O2

Hello all.

The dog and I got in 9 stroller pushing miles last night, with 4 miles at a tempo type effort. Felt pretty good, but it is always awkward to run fast while pushing a stroller and keeping the dog under control as ducks, geese and cranes are flying overhead.

sugnim - Nice work getting it done at any cost, 3 miles of "house running" is very impressive!

QOTD: I would say it is probably that for me, Less is More. I usually do better with a little less running than I do if I run too much. Too much usually results in an injury or just general sluggish, run down feeling. While if I'm not running really high miles I usually feel much more energetic and speedy. Tough to hold back though when I always want to go out and log big days in the mountains...

Sandy-2

Went to core training at lunch today. More like core stretching, but it was good.  I'll do a very easy 2 to 4 miles after work later.

qotd: Remember, "this is supposed to be fun."

tbd.

Gator eye

Nothing today, used the 13 below weather as a excuse to give my right calf muscle a break. It has started giving me fits out of no where.

QOTD: Even if I feel bullet proof I'm only human, if I push to hard sooner or later I will break. See above

Nothing today, used the 13 below weather as a excuse to give my right calf muscle a break. It has started giving me fits out of no where.

QOTD: Even if I feel bullet proof I'm only human, if I push to hard sooner or later I will break. See above

Hm sounds like we are in a similar position!