Trailer Trash

Eastern States (Read 33 times)

Gator eye

anybody here run this race?

Thinking about giving it a go but the Aug. 3 rd date scares me. I don't handle heat well

XtremeTaper

I've never run it, but know some folks locally that have done the race. It's very difficult from what I've heard and of course the August date can mean high temps or just normal summer temps with typical PA humidity.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Not run it but difficult course and August in PA, as XT said, is usually hot and humid. If you don't handle heat well, this is quite a risk.  Best case scenario is high of low 80's in the day with relative humidity and lows in the 60's overnight.  But worst case scenario is high 90's with wicked humidity, lows in the upper 70's at night - but in PA the humidity can actually be worse overnight than in the middle of the day.

FTYC ran this race a few years back.  I wonder if her RR is somewhere archived on here...

ES100 on my bucket list to do since it's the closest 100 to me, and beautiful backcountry, but certainly won't be my first attempt at a 100.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Gator eye

Hummm.... high humidity is a no go for me.

Any suggestion for a fall race in that area?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Found it:

https://www.runningahead.com/groups/Trailer_Trash/forum/a6c5d9f3f47b4dabb708d7e1f0ecc7c4/resume#focus

BTW - there were a lot more people that used to post in trailer trash years ago...

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Hummm.... high humidity is a no go for me.

Any suggestion for a fall race in that area?

Depends of what you mean by "that area"

Oil Creek!!!!!!

(OC100) is in the northwest part of the state.

I am semi planning on running it this year.

Early October.  Usually good weather (although I probably just jinxed it).  Good course unless you cannot stand loops.  It's three giant loops plus a tiny 7 mile loop at the end.

AT-runner

Tim

Just reread Marie’s RR. I miss the days when we had more RR’s on here and RWOL.

Gator, you can always come this way in May and run a 24 hr trail race. Montour 24.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Didn't run the Eastern States but ran the Call of the Wilds which up until last year was on the same day and shared the first 17-18 miles of trail.  COTW is a 28.2 mile marathon.

Up hill, down hill, roots, rocks, mud and generally poor footing.  My understanding is that the 100 miles is mostly the same.  As others said the weather can be a bitch. The first year I busted up a ankle and DNF.  Weather would have been decent as in not blistering hot. The humidity?????  Well there were some Texans who dropped at mile 17 and claimed that it wasn't so much the hills as it was the humidity.

The second year I finished. Temps got into the 90s and the humidity was having a race to see if it could keep up. When we came by the rattle snake den they were all lying way back under the boulders in the shade trying to stay cool .  It's a nice race in a beautiful area but it's quite tough.  There is a reason for the high drop rate.  That being said I'd still consider doing it if I had the time to train for it, just not as my first 100 miler.

As AT said the Montour 24 is in May and is a pretty nice place to run if you want a timed race.  With the course it would be possible to break 100 miles there.

I hear nothing but good things about Oil Creek. One day I may try it.

Another one if you would be interested in a 50 miler is the Tussey Mountainback in the state college area. It's mostly on dirt roads but it's all uphill and downhill.  Sometime I'd like to do the relay portion of that.  That's in October. Did that two years ago. Finished DFL.

Gator eye

That area being PA, up state NY or any mountain race in the east

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Oh, mountain race.  Well then.  OC100 is not really considered a mountain race but it has some decent climbs throughout.  Grindstone in VA might be a better option for a mountain race.  It's in October as well.  I think Sandy ran that a couple years ago? Or maybe that was MMT? MMT, also in VA is a mountain race and is run in May I believe.

I don't know of any hundreds in upstate NY but there is a wicked 50+ miler that has a longer race feel to it.  Manitou's revenge http://www.manitousrevengeultra.com/ is run in June and said to be ridiculous for climbs and descents.

Daydreamer1

If you look through Bryan's blog you can see some of the eastern races that he's run and get a idea how they compare. I know you've seen a few of his race reports on here but this would refresh your memory.

http://keystonerunning.blogspot.com/

XtremeTaper

That area being PA, up state NY or any mountain race in the east

Don't forget VA!

Massanutten 100 (MMT) in the spring. Today is the last day to enter the lottery. Odds are pretty good at getting in from the wait list even if you miss the lottery. MMT is sort of a big loop course. I've ran it a few times, volunteered several years as well.

Grindstone in October, but that is a little further south in Virginia. Out/back course. I've never done that one but it has an unusual evening start time.

Not sure what sort of race are up in New York State. Used to Virgil Crest 50/100 miler in late September but I believe that race went belly up.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I've run ES and finished. I have run other difficult 100-milers, but I still think that ES is the most difficult one. The course is brutal, and when looking at the results, it becomes clear that the hot and humid weather is only one factor, and not the most important one.

Hyner (the short distance, 16k or so) is a good comparison. The Hyner 50k has too many "easy" sections to truly compare to ES.

Run for fun.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Just wanted to mention, if you have any questions, just ask. I'll be happy to share my knowledge of and what I have learned from this race.

Run for fun.

Gator eye

Missed the sign up date and ended up 39th on the waiting list.

What are the close towns with shopping,food, beer, hotel..etc