Trailer Trash

Alternative healing weekend dailies (Read 24 times)

Daydreamer1

All week I'd been looking up at the moon and dreaming of being up on the mountain running under a full moon.  So last evening I headed up for a planned 17-18 mile run. All uphill or downhill, some nice trail, most on dirt road.  Training for Tussey Mountainback.  For once the temp and humidity were both decent. I was going to do two loops of the course. The first loop started off while it was still daylight and was on the trail portion. Now this is a really nice trail that is really a logging road that is starting to grow over. Pretty smooth with a few divots and ruts but mostly smooth. The biggest problem with it is the weeds that would make it easy to step on a snake. Everything went well and when I hit the road portion I was cruising along on a real nice downhill. The uphill portion is about 3 miles and varies from 2-15% grades for a average of about 7%.  After getting to the top in much better condition than normal, I was ready for a nice cruise back to the car for a resupply and do the second loop.

On the way back down I passed another car that was parked with at least two people in it. Couldn't tell what they were doing and didn't really look. Apparently they had the windows down and were burning something that gave off a real pungent smell. Think I got high on the second hand smoke .

Got back to the car and started the second loop. The moon was rising nicely, it was cool and I was feeling good. I broke out the light and headed down the trail. About 3/4 of a mile in there was a nice weed patch and as I went through it my foot landed on something that gave way and down I went. Lost my light which promptly went out . I heard/felt the cracking as I went down and knew my night was done. Sat there for awhile and started looking for the light. It had landed with the lens up and a little bit of moonlight glinted off it. Then the damn thing didn't work.  Walked back to the car at a fairly slow pace contemplating where this puts me.

I have a race next weekend. 24.2 miles of rocks, roots and misery. It's hike-able. It's about 40 days until Tussey. My fitness this past month has sucked. Last night I felt great with a good bit of power on the hills and this was a high mileage week. Things were looking like I was turning a corner.  I got home, assessed the damage and as my ankle sprains go this one is moderate. Some swelling and stiffness and pain, but not as bad as my last three that took me off my feet.

I put myself on crutches to avoid any undue stress on it. My last sprain was among the worst and healed the fastest. In that case I didn't have the ability to ice it very much. I had done some reading about not using ice as it reduces the inflammation which while it feels better, delays the tissue repair.  Eastern medicine teaches that you should use heat to increase blood flow to the area and promote faster healing.

So I decided to not ice, keep it warm by covering it with a heavy, tighter sock, do a lot of massage and movement exercises while keeping the weight off it for about 24 hours. We will  see how it goes. Maybe I should try acupuncture .

So no running today, or this weekend and probably no beach running .

QOTD: Do you ever try any alternative forms of medicine and healing?

Right now, of course, is what I'm trying with my ankle. For years I've been taking Lipitor for my cholesterol. Started having some problems that I related to the Lipitor so I cut that out and got better. Now I'm trying to eat a grapefruit a day because that it supposed to bring cholesterol levels down. Also increasing my oatmeal and cinnamon consumption.   Otherwise I've never been big on following alternative healing practices, such as those found in eastern medicine.

NorthernHarrier

Bummer, Daydreamer, real bad bummer. Running thru the real tall weeds and grasses has gotten me a couple times in the past too.

So far it's been a great morning and the prospects for the rest of the day look good. Spent the last hour sitting on the pier drinking coffee while Cloe worked the shoreline searching for minnows. The lake is like glass and not a soul anywhere. About to head out for a 5 miler near a town with a bakery and a hardware store so there will be a little side trip.

QOTD--Off the top of my head the only thing that may even come close would be Arnica gel for all my little issues. That stuff is great but not sure that qualifies. You may want to try some on your ankle. How about dark chocolate every day in lieu of a statin.  BTW--you were smart to get off the Lipitor.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Dude- that sucks!  Definitely give it some rest, but also think about active recovery- this is one you have to really be listening to your body carefully- if there is any pain, go back to rest.

Going to try and get a short run in sometime today, going to work on my truck today- change tranny, diffs, transfer case fluid.  Tomorrow going to get a 20-ish mile run in the Elkhorns- don't tell NH, but am bringing my .22 revolver (sacrilegious not using a shotgun!) in case any grouse are trying to commit hari kari :4:

qotd: nothing comes to mind as alternative, but on days I run I usually take a 1000 mg of vitamin C as it's suppose to help with inflammation

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

runtraildc

Got in 4.5 miles, some rocks and roots in Rock Creek. Legs felt heavy and the hill back out of the park was a challenge. Got it done though and now sitting back enjoying my coffee, though I wish I were lakeside like Harrier.

DD- sorry about the ankle.  Mine usually don't have a lot of swelling, so I've found heat helps a lot-- especially starting a few days afterwards.  I also have an air splint that I think is the best thing ever for sprains. I can walk, but it limits the side to side motion that aggravates the sprain, and provides a good amount of compression, too.

qotd: Not a lot of experience with it.  Does yoga count? I do know that it helps me a lot in preventing injuries.  And it is very calming and stress relieving.

AT-runner

Tim

DW had to work a bit this morning so we went for a mid day 10 miles on the AT.  Temperature was pleasant but some humidity.  Saw 10-12 section hikers along the way. One group of middle aged men were way over packed and way under trained. They were stopped sucking air 1/2 way up a climb as I came running up from behind.  I've seen some big packs before, but some of these were huge, as in Reese Witherspoon in the start of "Wild" Huge.

Congratulations to Mr and Mrs Muppy.

Dd - Ouch. Man you do seem to have bad luck with ankles. Ice / Heat debate has been around forever. If the swelling is causing more pain or pressure use ice. Otherwise I advise heat for increased local blood flow. Do you ever do any stability exercises, like with a wobble board, for ankle fexibilty?  Might be good with you chronic history.  Also, you should have hunted down that "reefer car" and tried their alternative therapy.

QOTD:  I'm pretty open to anything. Years ago there was a magnet craze, and I had an elderly patient ask me my opinion about her use of them. I asked her if she thought they helped, and she said yes, so I told her to keep using them.  There is so much we don't know about the body, and so much information we have lost, as in natural ways ancient people used to heal with plants and herbs. Most prescription medications have some origin to older home remedies or to plants.  I refer to an acupuncturist for some chronic pain problems.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Dd - Ouch. Man you do seem to have bad luck with ankles. Ice / Heat debate has been around forever. If the swelling is causing more pain or pressure use ice. Otherwise I advise heat for increased local blood flow. Do you ever do any stability exercises, like with a wobble board, for ankle fexibilty?  Might be good with you chronic history.  Also, you should have hunted down that "reefer car" and tried their alternative therapy.

QOTD:  I'm pretty open to anything. Years ago there was a magnet craze, and I had an elderly patient ask me my opinion about her use of them. I asked her if she thought they helped, and she said yes, so I told her to keep using them.  There is so much we don't know about the body, and so much information we have lost, as in natural ways ancient people used to heal with plants and herbs. Most prescription medications have some origin to older home remedies or to plants.  I refer to an acupuncturist for some chronic pain problems.

I have a BOSU ball that I use, although not as much as I should. Also had been doing some one leg balancing exercises as well as range of motion exercises with both ankles. Both of them are the first thing to bother me when I increase mileage.  I rolled one of them really bad at work carrying an obese patient. They sent me to an Ortho Doc and he told me it's just a matter of time until I need surgery to tighten things up. That was something like 3-4 sprains ago and after I had probably sprained them 7-8 times before that.

I like your attitude on doing whatever seems to work. So much of our current medicine is centered around pushing pills.

"Also, you should have hunted down that "reefer car" and tried their alternative therapy."

I didn't think about that. That might have really good for the pain . At least calm the nerves a little .

Sandy-2

The numbers this morning:

20 - miles.

4:45 - am start.

4 - hours, slow as hell.

78 - degrees

98 - %

1 - beautiful full moon.

1 - new headlamp (not needed much this morning, but like it).

1 - new pair of shorts (necessary).

13 - mile when I barfed.

3 - miles run with some friends.

2 - dunks in lake and pond (mucky and warm water sucked, but needed).

90 - minutes of nap afterwards.

20 - miles tomorrow.

DD: bummer about the ankle, hope that it mends up soon!!  By the way if you need a headlamp the new one I bought yesterday is the Black Diamond Spot (on sale for  30 bucks at Acadamy Sports).

qotd: not usually. Although I did that head position manouver to get rid of my vertigo, it worked great!!

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Sandy- back to back 20's- nice!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NHLA

11 miles trifty cove and estatoe trails.

qotd  DD is a vet tech in an alternative vet clinic.

muppy

Hope you heal up fast Daydreamer!

10.8 trail miles Friday and 8.5 around town yesterday morning. That gives me 70.9 miles since Sunday which is the most I ever ran!

Hope me everyone is having a great weekend!

Sandy-2

Only one number counts today, 20 done.

Thanks mt.

Sandy- back to back 20's- nice!

tbd.

AT-runner

Tim

Didn't get to run with Jamie but DW and I ran 20+ on Stoney Valley Rail Trail. First half was awesome second half not so much. Mid 70s but very very humid. Had to conserve my water on way back and I still ran out with 1.5 miles to go. Not a good thing on a long run. After stopping for lunch and trying to hydrate I was still down 4 pounds. Can't wait for cooler less humid days.

NHLA

8 miles Eagle Rock.

AT-runner

Tim

8 miles Eagle Rock.

Cool rock. Not too close, but makes me think of Sam, the eagle from the Muppets.

LB2

Cool rock. Not too close, but makes me think of Sam, the eagle from the Muppets.

Hahaha. That is the first thing I thought of, too.

LB2