Trailer Trash

Torrid Tuesdailies (Read 31 times)

Watoni

Well, it is not hot yet (I got into work at 4am), but the forecast for my neck of the woods is right at or over 100 for the next three days. Hoping for 8-10 with hills this afternoon when it is really hot Smile

I got back from celebrating my mom's 75th over the weekend, punctuated by a day at Disneyland Friday. Lots of driving, some running, some skipping and walking in Disneyland (16.5 miles worth according to the step counter on my Garmin watch).

QOTD: Have you ever tracked heart rate on your runs? It is fairly passé in cycling due to the advent of power meters, but I know people who do and my running "coach" asked me to start tracking it, so I bought a chest strap for the Garmin.

DigDug2

Easy 7+ this morning on the roads - humid but not too hot (yet).  Had a fun 13 mile run yesterday, felt energetic enough to pick up at the end, and nothing is sore today.  Supposed to be hot today and tomorrow in CT, then revert to more fall-like weather (hopefully for good).

QOTD:  Never have.  I've thought about it and sometimes think it would be useful, but I've always been put off by the chest strap.  Plus, I've become less and less detail/data oriented over the last decade of running - loosely track mileage, never keep track of pace.  Too many things to think about - I'm happiest when I keep it simple.

NHLA

5 miles  Echo Mt. Nice morning.

qotd  I check HR on TM just to see how high I can get it and how quick it drops.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I got a bunch done yesterday at home, one last time at the pool , some school work and then drove to the gym at 9:30 last night only to find it closed.  I really thought they were open all holidays except the big ones.  Guess I was wrong. I will try and get in a run tonight at DS soccer practice although he came up lame yesterday and complaining his leg really hurts.  Hmmmm...hoping it's nothing major.  My thought is just a pulled muscle.

Digdug - keeping life simple is good.  I try to do the same.  Doesn't always work though.

QOTD: Not for me.  My heart rate monitor is basically if I feel it trying to come out of my chest, I slow it down or stop.  That's about it.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

Short trail run with the pups this morning. We ran into dozens of mule deer this morning, and ended up in the middle of a big pack of coyotes that were howling and yelping back and forth to each other. A few were really close and my dogs were pretty curious about it. A big fire started near the Wasatch course this weekend, so the valley is full of smoke. If they don't get the fire tamed in a day or two, they may have to change the 100 mile course. Either way, it looks like we'll be have smoky conditions on race day.

QOTD: No. I can tell when my heart beats fast without using a monitor.

AT-runner

Tim

Never really felt good today but grinded out 6 miles of trails. Really humid at the start and low 80's. Just never got my breathing under control, but 6 was all I was planning, so I didn't cut it short like I wanted to at times.

QOTD:  Used to with swimming to judge effort level (take pulse after a set), but never with biking or running. I go by my breathing and can tell when I can push or should slow down.  I too like to keep it simple and rarely time my runs anymore.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Got in 30 minutes of hills this morning.  Temps are soaring, but they were better in the woods.  Another day of this heat and humidity and then cooler temps.  And hopefully some rain.  Will get in some yoga later.  My ankle is still stiff and slightly swollen 6 weeks out, so I need to do some work on it.

qotd:  have never used the strap with my garmin, though I unearth it every once in a while looking for something else.  Occasionally check my HR on the treadmill, but do not use it as a training tool.

XtremeTaper

Sort of back from the dead here an the holiday.. picked up a weird bug last week that made me feverish, sore, and tired. I didn't really kick it until Saturday or Sunday. Plus I was in Pittsburgh for a nephew's wedding and being under the weather sucked. I would have liked to party more but I was constantly on fire and sweating buckets. Well, it's gone now.

I ran a fairly pleasing 7 mile loop at Coventry Woods yesterday with my partner in crime and LadyB. fast time for the loop but I was chasing a faster runner most of the time. We did not get there until 1pm so yes it was sort of hot but "shrug" I am sort of used to it and barely noticed. Granted had I been running long it may have been an issue but for just over an hour not really bad. The Lady and I will chase the sunset tonight out on the trails somewhere. Probably at Green Lane.

QOTD: Nope. Never. I don't even track pace these days. Well, I do track time like I know the big climb to the ridge on the run yesterday.. 21-22 minutes to the top is good, 23-24 minutes is average, 24+ is slow and it must be a recovery day.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I misread as "Horrid Tuesdailies", which is just what my day has been so far. Left work early (first time ever) because I could not bear it any more. No, did not quit or get fired, just took "sick time". Now trying to recover, just unfortunately there's not enough time for a run.

Glad to read that it's not as bad a day for everybody else!

Maybe a jog late at night with DD.

Nice and hot (90 degrees), I wish I could take the kids to the pool, or go for a heat run to relax (works similar to Sauna for some reason).

QOTD: No, I just sometimes take my pulse when I have a stopwatch with me (which does not happen often, only every few months). I use it to gauge the effort and to stay "in tune" with how hard or how easy it feels.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Weather here is like Fall. 39 degrees this morning with a high of 70- heaven!!!  Going to get 5-6-ish after work, might do my big hill repeat session if I'm feeling froggy

qotd: I've read some interesting articles on monitoring heart rate for running, but never have

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

some call me Tim

I'm about to get in another 5. After a day racing all over town getting last minute stuff for the kids' school done, I just beat my way through the brush, marking intended trail routes. So. Much. Bramble. Now I'm off to enjoy the fruit of my labor on the trails that are already established, and I'll sweat buckets while I'm at it I'm sure.

qotd: I've done it, though I'm loath to add extra gear into the mix if I can avoid it. I did low heart rate training for a bit after listening to Larisa Dannis talk about it on URP. Speaking of which, Eric is looking for new theme and outro music and considering my band has written some running inspired stuff I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. No money involved, but it'd be cool all the same. Here's hoping.

LB2

I ran this morning, about 5 miles.

QOTD: No. I haven't ever done that, but I can sure tell when my heart rate spikes. And, for now, that is enough for me.

LB2

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I haven't ran in 4 days, you know due to Earl's limp  but he appears to be doing better so running will resume tomorrow.  Oh that and the fact that I am  starting to tip the scales. 

QOTD:   Have the strap but have never used it.   As long as my heart is beating I am  happy with that.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

Just got back from a 22 mile run. My last long run before my marathon so now it's taper time. Things went good for the first 16 miles then the legs started dying. Not real bad but enough that I decided to walk on a nice level part of the trail. Stepped in a very tiny divot and rolled my ankle . Really??? Seems like I can roll a ankle walking on flat asphalt. Walked that off then ran a little more again. Ankle was OK but then the legs just didn't want to go. I think it had a lot to do with the heat. I didn't feel really hot it just felt like my central governor kicked in and was limiting me. Ended up mostly hiking the last 4 miles and looking at the scenery so I wasn't a total loss.

QOTD: I did almost all the time on the bike. Used it extensively for training for the race up Mt Washington.  I still use one when I'm on the elliptical or the TM. My strap for my Polar watch went bad and I'm too cheap to replace it. The watch itself is starting to die so when I get something new I'll get a HRM with it and use it again for the bike and road running. The problem with using it on my trails is the terrain varies too much to get in a zone and stay there.  At the same time it would be useful for me to detect over training. Writing this makes me think of all the possibilities so now I'm itching to get one .

Watoni

I'm about to get in another 5. After a day racing all over town getting last minute stuff for the kids' school done, I just beat my way through the brush, marking intended trail routes. So. Much. Bramble. Now I'm off to enjoy the fruit of my labor on the trails that are already established, and I'll sweat buckets while I'm at it I'm sure.

qotd: I've done it, though I'm loath to add extra gear into the mix if I can avoid it. I did low heart rate training for a bit after listening to Larisa Dannis talk about it on URP. Speaking of which, Eric is looking for new theme and outro music and considering my band has written some running inspired stuff I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. No money involved, but it'd be cool all the same. Here's hoping.

Good luck!

On HR, a Trail Runner article about Larissa Dannis and HR training just hit my inbox. I am not sure I buy the low effort training model, especially for someone with limited time.

http://trailrunnermag.com/training/training-plans/1901-heart-rate-training-train-slow-race-fast