Trailer Trash

Fourth of July Hangover Day (Read 23 times)

moonlightrunner

There should be a law...the Fourth of July should be a three day holiday. Nobody should have to go to work today!

I don't have a hangover...but I know a few who are suffering.

Yesterday's 6 miles were done in pounding heat and humidity. The fun came only when it was over and I cranked up the AC in the car. Oh...and the deerflies! Nailed me repeatedly.

QOTD: What is the weather outlook for your neck of the woods? Supposed to be in the 80's, less humidity...but dry. We could use some rain...even the mosquitoes would agree.

Happy miles! We are now rushing to winter! Yippee!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I'm more tired than anything else.  Still got up at 5 AM this morning to walk the dog and go to work.  Might try a 4 mile bridge run this evening.

QOTD:  Still hot and sticky here.  Thunderstorms should roll in tomorrow morning, which should help.  On Sunday the lows will be in the 60's upstate, which will be nice for a longer run.  Can't wait!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Sandy-2

I got up and ran early yesterday because I knew thunderstorms were on tap.  It rained for the whole run, sometimes quite the freakin' downpour, but no lightening so that was good.  I don't mind running in the rain at all, keeps the temps reasonable. After a while the glasses were uselessly fogged and wet so I took them off. I think it was about 76 deg the whole time.  Did 15 soggy and fun miles. Of course it was still supersaturated humidity, and I was sluggish and even had some cramping in the end, I was drinking a lot but still managed to loose 4 pounds.

Afterwards, I took a nap and enjoyed listening to the pounding rain on the roof.  I think we got about 5 or 6 inches of rain in our area yesterday.  This is from the local newspaper (fortunately not in my area).

Plan is to run a few miles after work today, dodging thunderstorms.

qotd: my 90 rule is in effect. That means either 90 deg or 90 % humidity....  or both.  We're supposed to get more thunderstorms in the afternoon for the next few days.

tbd.

XtremeTaper

I agree with the extra day off after the 4th. We need more longer summer holidays. No hangover here though, as I took things easy yesterday for the most part. I did jump into a July 4th 5k and once again am embarrassed about my quote "5k pace". I did actually have fun though, as the race was held on the golf course at Reading Country Club, which is one of my favorite public golf courses. The course was 2 loops of the back nine, mostly fairway and grass running over rolling hills and one sort of nasty hill just before the finish. Sort of like a cross country run in a way I suppose. There was free beer (Sly Fox Lemon Wheat Ale) hot dogs and burgers at the finish. A good workout, and a healthy breakfast!

Run today? This evening, I will look to get in 6-7 miles on TTBD.

QOTD: Still hot and muggy here, but slightly better than earlier this week. We had some rain last night, but it did not break the heatwave. That is going to happen tomorrow or so they say. Heat indexes well over 100 here this week, real temps around 95. Maybe only low 90's today?

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

No hangover, but I did have a couple of beers. I got up and ran this morning at 5:30. I got up earlier and drank coffee, but after that, I ran. It was not bad at all. I expected to step out into a sauna this morning after yesterday's run, which was in the middle of the day.

QOTD: Same as it always is around here this time of year: 90+ F and 90%+ humidity with a dew point in the mid to upper 70's, not conducive to human habitation but here we are anyway. I think they are calling for some thunderstorms this afternoon (Refer to Sandy's rule). Basically, he and I have the same weather. The Houston area is the same as the Baton Rouge area when it comes to weather.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

agreed, don’t call it the “4th”- it’s Independence Day, first Monday of July- three day weekend like Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc

got a nice 6.5 miles in on the trails with DW and Tiny E; then late afternoon a feast of streak and lobster 

strength train after work

qotd: we’ve for the most part enjoyed a very nice May and June- lots of 60’s and 70’s; that comes to an end today with temps in the 90’s, it was nice while it lasted

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

GC100k

3+ hours on the road this mid-morning. Biting flies were pretty bad even on the roads. Overcast until the last hour, so not intense heat. But muggy and no wind, so pretty wet. I undressed on the back porch and hung my stuff up out there. Shirt, shorts, socks all were dripping and left puddles underneath. Sorry if tmi.

QOTD: looks like some rain and cooling next few days.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice 10 miler yesterday morning along a mountain creek.  Splashed off a couple of times to prevent from overheating.  Then pool for a bit until thunderstorms rolled through. Had to man the grill under an umbrella and eat inside, but still fun.  We skipped driving into town for the fireworks, and I'm glad we did, because it started raining again once they began. We could see them from our back yard, and a neighbor provided some as well, so still felt like 4th if July.

Ran 8 this morning and was still buggy and muggy.  Came back on a old logging road, and passed a Honda Civic driving by.  No reason for a Civic to be on a road like that unless there up to no good.  Bumpy rocky road with huge pot holes and pools of water.  Driver never made eye contact with me as he passed, and I always wave.  They used to make drug drops in that area but I thought that had stopped.  I stopped into the SP office on my way home and they appreciated the tip. Ranger agreed no car like that should be on that road. 

QOTD:  See above, but supposed to break for the weekend. DW and I might do an overnight with 2 runs Sat-Sun if it does break.

FYI - Harvey Lewis is really slowing down with the hot weather. He's way behind pace and probably no hope of making up the time.  Well at least he's getting good training for Badwater. He's won it before, and is planning on running this year after he finishes the AT (with or without the FKT).

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Count me in...I feel a little out of it today and sunburned.  Ran 6 in the morning and than kayaking, and than fairgrounds for firework show.  So ya, no run this morning.  There was a buff and tattooed guy cruising around the lake on a paddle board with a stereo fixed to the front cranking out tunes.  It was kind of funny sight.

QOTD:  Actually cooler yesterday and today and always sunny.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Sandy - Good luck dodging the thunderstorms!

XT - Free beer makes any race worth while!  Nice job on the 5K.

LB2 - Glad you got to run in some "cool" weather, whatever that really is down there.

warden - Your lobster inspired me to pick up some snow crab legs yesterday, which I will enjoy this evening with lots of butter and some lemon.

GC - Yep, DW hates it when I leave sweat puddles from my running clothes.  Not much one can do about it in this muck.

AT - Yikes on that Honda Civic!  Yeah, sounds like they were definitely up to no good.  I hope the SP checks it out.

Sue - Can you name a song he was playing or were you distracted? 

3/17 - NYC Half

GC100k

FYI - Harvey Lewis is really slowing down with the hot weather. He's way behind pace and probably no hope of making up the time.  

They haven't even mentioned the record in the past few days.

runtraildc

Got in just under 4 miles yesterday. I waited until about 10:30 so I could catch the parade on it's route, but that meant the heat had kicked in (actually, that was 7 days ago). Ugh. Lots of walking at the end. Then we went for korean bbq for lunch, which meant lots of salty meat. I'm feeling a bit of a meat hangover today.

qotd: It's slowly cooling down a little. I can tell a distinct difference sinice Monday, but it's still way too hot and humid for me.

Ultra Cowboy

If I can run tonight there might be a chance of me doing a streak from July 4-Labor day.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Sandy-2

Then we went for korean bbq for lunch, which meant lots of salty meat. I'm feeling a bit of a meat hangover today.

That’s funny!!! When we go out for Korean bbq we always say that we have a garlic hangover the next day. Darn, now I want to go out for Korean food.

tbd.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

runtrail and Sandy - When eating Korean bbq, you have to load up on the soju.  That will replace the meat and garlic hangover with a legit one. 

Rocky - Get your butt out there and go for that streak!

3/17 - NYC Half