Trailer Trash

Sandy's Forgotten Florida 100 RR (Read 8 times)

Sandy-2

Forgotten Florida 100 mile Endurance Run, Christmas,FL, Feb 17, 2024

It took me a little time to get to this post. . . .  the last two 100s I attempted (and didn’t complete) were both very tough mountain hundreds at altitude and lots of vertical, so the Forgotten Florida 100 was a “get back on the horse” sort of run for me. The run followed a lot of the Florida Trail east of Orlando and went through a few natural areas such as the Charles Bronson, Chuluota, Seminole Ranch, Orlando Wetlands and the Tosohatchee. All really cool areas with great scenery and I guess places off the beaten path, hence the Forgotten Florida name.  In general terms the trek was a 75 mile point-to-point and then the last 25 miles back tracked on the same trek to make it 100.

While this run is flat and at sea-level, it also had its ‘charms’ and tough moments (not to mention it’s still 100 miles). Plus the rain started 30 minutes after the Saturday morning start and it didn’t stop the whole time I was out there which was until Sunday afternoon. I’d say during the run we had between 2 to 3 inches of rain. The real star of the day was my excellent and super experienced crew Devan!!! She braved the wet cold elements, muddy wet dirt roads, and stayed up all night just to keep me going. I can’t tell you how great it is to see her out there along the way at all times of the day and night.

The first 40 miles were ok with nice firm single and double track trails that did have some wet low areas. But then we were routed to some mucky low-laying swamps where the real fun began. “The swamp mile” was a highlight, at one point I sunk up to my knees, lost balance and had black gunky arms over my elbows – would have made a nice race photo I guess.  Luckily there was a stream that I was able to wash off in a few miles later. I did see Devan at miles 30 and 45. I made it to the hallway point in pretty good shape in 12 hrs and 38 min (abt 3:20 ahead of the cutoff time), a little fast but the first half trails were still pretty good shape and it was light except for the last 3 or 4 miles. Devan patched me up again and quickly sent me on my way. With the 50 mile runners finished the trails were much quieter and I was now on my own for many miles.

After 50 miles the trails completely changed, it was now mostly all slippery muck and water with only the odd dry parts, plus of course we’d be picking out the trail blazes and ribbons with headlamps and heldheld lights in the dark. I was still running the firm bits, but reduced to trekking the underwater sections with the crazy slippery footing.  Here the race cutoff times started becoming a little more generous so that was good.

So I continued traipsing through the dark woods thru the dead of night trying to keep up the pace as well as I could, looking forward to the spots where I’d see Devan. I should add that there was a remote aid station where crew could go to but we got word that the road was washed out and only high clearance 4wd vehicles could get there, so Devan drove as far as she could parked the rental car on high ground and hiked the rest of the way thru the high water and mud to hang for hours at the aid station while I did some out-n-back sections out there, she’s the super crew!!! Meanwhile I was going along ok and even managed to pick up a little time on some of the cutoffs.

Eventually the remaining miles were down to below 20 and then down to single digits, you can start to smell the barn. The highlight at this point was going along a power line easement with a canal/ditch next to it, shining my light over and seeing the red glow of about 8 or 9 alligators shining back at me out of the green algae-covered water. So cool.

Before the start.

Early miles.

More early miles.

Coming into Joshua Creek AS, mile 30.

Yup that's the trail, follow the orange blazes and pink ribbons.

Charlie Lake AS, under the bridge.

I guess mile 85.

Saying "hi" to the RD, Fish Hole AS, mile 88.

I guess mile 95.

The Finish.

The bling.

tbd.

Kudos to you and your stellar crew, Devan, for getting it done despite miserable conditions.  I'm not sure I could have summoned the mental fortitude to keep going after the knee deep muck.    You're definitely back in the saddle now, and your mental game is well dialed in.   Enjoy your recovery and keep us posted on what's next, besides lots and lots of food.  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

LB2

Awesome!!!

LB2

XtremeTaper

Well, that little section on the blue connector trail looks pleasant enough. Ha.

Well done Sandy, congrats to you and your super crew!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

Gatsby: Thanks. I’ve been eating and sleeping a lot!! Not sure what’s next…. yet.

LB: Thanks!!!!

XT: Thanks. Yeah some of those early miles were sweet. I should add that I actually liked the light rain and clouds, better than full sun and warm.

tbd.