Trailer Trash

Weekender (Saturday 9/10) (Read 22 times)

LB2

I ran a hilly five this morning. I'll run 10 in the AM before church.

QOTD: How often do you run the same route and how do you stay motivated to do it?

I run the same route a lot. It has been a challenge to stay motivated. In fact, I consider it a big part of why I have been just going through the motions all summer, moreso than the heat. But, I have gone back and re-worked some routes. The change has sparked a fire in me again. I was excited about my new route this morning, and I can hardly wait to run another one tomorrow.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Pretty darn warm here so probably not going too long today.  Might go out to Pine Grove Furnace SP and run there and then jump in the lake.

Happy birthday, Sue.

QOTD:  I mix it up a lot to keep motivated. I got really burned out in my road marathon days because I basically had 2 starting options from my house. I always had to start out with the same 1-2 miles before I could even make my first turn.  Think having options is one of the reasons why I fell in love with trails. When I run trails, I often deviate from my "planned" route just because I want to check something else out.  I also study maps and google earth looking for new ways to connect trail segments.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Probably going to do a rest day today.  It's still going to be hot and humid. After melting down yesterday I don't feel like doing the same thing today.  Looking at doing some strength training.

Nice rose colored glasses there Sue. Happy Birthday.

QOTD: Last year I ran a lot of different routes and running was fun. This year It's been the same routes over and over and over.  Running has not been as fun either. Part of the reason for running the same routes is that for some reason something is always ruining my plans to get up to the trails I like. They are about 35 miles away so it it's not always easy to get to them if things don't work out right.  I'm not sure how much of my lack of enjoyment and motivation comes from running the same routes or how much is due to the miserable humidity we've been having this year.

runtraildc

Morning trailers-- Got in a miserable 3.5 miles this morning with the group.  Woke up to Sandy and LB's weather and it was a beast. 80+ degrees and extremely humid.  I can't take too much more of this.  It's been pretty demoralizing struggling to even get a few miles in.  It's supposed to break later and tomorrow is to be much nicer.  New day and all that.

Is that really Queen? I can't id her without the bottle of wine in the pic. Happy Birthday!! (and happy hunting, cougar).

qotd: I run segments repetitively every week, but exact same route, not often (maybe once a month).

Sandy-2

A very nice 15 miler this morning.  Got out at abt 5am for 5 mi, then back to meet my DD and we did our typical 10 mi loop, bumping into my old informal running group.  Great running with friends and my DD again.  Afterwards we all Went to S'bucks.

DD then left to ride horses for a few hours, she'll probably do 30 to 40 miles. She is in crazy shape at the moment.

Although it was still very "tropical", I felt much better than last weekend.

qotd:  I do have a 10 mi loop I run with some folks, it can get tiresome, but I only do it once a week and I do it with friends so there are distractions.

tbd.

some call me Tim

Good day, all, and HBD Sue! I'm just getting restarted here... got up at dawn for what was supposed to be 4x a hilly 10k road loop. Perhaps it was the run yesterday or the heat index today, but I got to the point of being unquenchably thirsty *and* nauseous from all the water. Salt deficiency maybe? Anyway I bagged the last loop and used the home trail to get the total to 20mi and 2000ft of vert, similar to last weekend, then came home and crashed, big time.

qotd: I like to switch up road routes, but I actually enjoy running the same trail over and over. Being at home caring for small children I've often simply had no choice but to run short loops on the property, but I confess I love the process of becoming intimately acquainted with a place in the natural world(this is part of the pitch for my race, too), to know every rock and root, every line through, the way the scent in the air changes as you move from place to place. It's harder to do when you're uncomfortable and for that reason this summer has been a challenge, but I think of it as a mindfulness practice and it's so important to keeping me focused and motivated for everything else.

Of course I like changing up a well known route, too. Recently I ran into a trail runner I'd never met before in the parking lot at Hunter's Creek, where I run all of the time, and he told me about a branch trail I'd never been on before and how to find it, and it turned out to be great and introduced me to a whole new area of the park/ more trails that aren't on the maps, and yeah, I can't wait to get back up there and check em out!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Happy birthday, Sue, nice pic!

At work, and as expected, it is totally crazy. Went for the first 7 hours without even a break. On the bright side, this may count as endurance training.

Hoping for for a few heat miles later, maybe with DS as my pacer. Wait, no - can't go out fast, have to go slow now. Scratch that pacer idea. 

QOTD: I am a creature of habit and can happily run the same course over and over again. Just not short loops multiple times to get in the desired distance, this kills me.

I have so many options for trails and roads, I rarely run the same route often. Only in mid-winter, when the trails and roads and even the access roads are under a deep layer of snow or ice, I have to run essentially the same old loop over and over. What I don't like about it then is not that it's always the same loop, but that that same loop gets worse every day - more ice, snow refrozen multiple times, more and more deep footsteps (aka holes) on the narrow trail, etc.

Run for fun.

NHLA

8 miles Cat Gap Loop.

qotd  new trail today. I would have run my normal route but thought of the challenge. I have past this trail many times and never tried it.

You can see 4000 roots in the first 100 yds. It never got better but this trail joins Johns Rock trail. I have to go back and get pic.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got out on the AT for a very wet 11 this morning.  The ground was wet due to downpours overnight and I was sweating bullets by mile 2 due to the thick and soupy humidity.  The day got worse.  It was real bad today.  DD scored her first goal today in soccer in only her second game ever! I was a bit proud to say the least.  Spent the afternoon into the evening painting - such a favorite hobby of mine .

Queen - hope you are having a great b-day weekend.  Thanks for sharing that pic AT.

QOTD: I will stick to a certain route for a while and then change things up.  And then I end up back at the old routes.  I don't mind it because I usually get lost in my head anyway.

Now off to bed - I hope to get out early tomorrow for one of my routine routes...

Have a great Sunday!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I wanted to run this trail to the next town...I've been down it 11 mikes but have always turn around.  I asked around and heard it was 17, 24, and 30 mikes.  17 made sense and was mist creditable.  It's my birthday and my friend agreed to run with me.  At the other end was a tiwn that had a bar and hotel; no more.  It ened up being 18 miiles, we rolled into the bar a drank a few beers.  The okd man showed up with my favorite junk food filet o fish and fries.

Qotd: I am so burned out on the first mike of my morning run.  Once I get in that mike I have tons of options..so not do board.

AT:  cone on ! I posted a picture of young you and you posted real me!!!   On my birthday 

K

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

Yesterday was 12 miles hooking up the Boone and Lenape trails at French Creek with plenty of heat and humidity. I was pretty much parched by the end despite stopping at several points for water. I think I went into the run slightly dehydrated as I golfed in the morning before the run. I hit the campground with a mile to go to slurp down some water from the first source I could find that was not a toilet. Phew. Tough one, but I was stubborn and finished up my planned route.

Today, the breeze is blowing and the humidity has dropped substantially. I am about to head out for 7-8 miles with the Lady.

QOTD: I run the same route maybe once/week, twice at the most. I have several trail places to run, and different routes at most of them. Winter road running I can go in many different directions from home though honestly I have 4 or 5 loops I do regularly. Running the same route.. mix it up some days with fartleks, tempo, or longer speed intervals to break up the monotony.

Queenie - Happy birthday again... bar at the end of your run? Well planned.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Sandy-2

11 miles this morning. Kind of a tempo run, felt good. Temp was lower today, but humidity was still through the roof.

Queenie, you sure "do" a lot of mikes.

Figured I'd take a look at next week's weather to see if a cool front might be on the way...  LOL, guess not.

tbd.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

3 miles in very pleasant, slightly windy weather.

I could have run longer, but I need to save some energy for later - the older DS is getting his own man cave (he calls it his room, but it's actually just a small cubby under the stairs, where he will have his bed and a place to just chill out), which needs to get cleaned up, painted, and the lights fixed. Wish me luck.

On the homestretch, I saw a hummingbird - PA wildlife sighting (for the Challenge), but it was too fast to get its picture taken.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

18 very hilly miles from Pine Grove Furnace SP to Kings Gap SP and back. Did a couple of vistas on the way back just because Jamie said we were supposed to have fun in September.

Sandy - Nice welcome home weather.

Marie - makes me so happy to hear you are running again. Good luck with Harry Potter's Room the "cupboard under the stairs". Penn State lost, so hope there were no riots around State College.

Queeny - Sorry, it was the best picture I could find that showed off your eyes.  I'll buy you a birthday beer in Utah to make it up to you. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

LB2

Well, I got in 9.5 this morning on that new little loop. It was not bad at all. I passed back by the house only to see my wife and kids yelling at me that they wanted breakfast. I told them I would be back in a mile. They wanted my grits. I do have a knack for cooking grits. Anyway, that was the longest run I have done since March when we made a big loop marking a 100 mile course. And frankly, I was just starting to feel really good. I would probably stretched it out to 15 if I hadn't had to cook grits and go to church.

LB2