Trailer Trash

Mondaily (Read 24 times)

LB2

I may run today. I haven't run since Wednesday of last week. Fighting some congestion and some sciatica issues.

QOTD: What makes you pick a race? I know this has been asked before, but sometimes it changes.

I was thinking about this question over the weekend as I look to next year's schedule. The only two races I ran this year were picked for very specific reasons: one was a ten mile trail race that I thought I could be competitive in, but, it is on some trails that I really love to run about an hour from my house. I got second, so that was good, and I had a good time on the trails, really pushing hard since the winner and I got lost and had to pass everyone in the race to get back to the front. The other was the 100 miler I ran two weeks ago, and I chose it because the course seemed pretty easy, and I had not run an out and back 100 miler. Plus, I figured I could run a pretty fast run. That did not work out, and I was thankful just to finish it. So, as I consider next year's race schedule, I am only planning to run 3 races. I'll run that 10 miler again to push hard; I'll run the Bobcat Bait 50 miler as my last, long training run before my fall 100, which will be Pinhoti again. I won't ever run another race just because I "think" I can run a fast one on the course. For long races, I really need to have them mean something. I still can't figure out why it took so long to finish that race in Florida, not that I am a fast 100 mile person, but crap, I should have run that course faster than that.

LB2

XtremeTaper

Nothing yet today, but plan on 5-6 on the road at lunch. Easy pace. My quads are just a teensy bit tired from yesterday's 15k trail race...

Mini-race report: Ok, yesterday's race was a bit ironic, funny, but really a great run for me. I ran a 1:20 something time for the 15k Dirty Bird trail race, which is sub9 minute average pace by quite a bit, and the fastest time I've run this course since 2007 (1:17) when I was in stellar shape (for me). The funny part is that I spent most of the entire race chasing this tiny little 10 year old girl. She was second OA female by the way. I don't know how this shit happens to me but I've done battle with her before. Anyways, she was a little bulldog out there and the few times I tried to pass her she just wouldn't give any ground and I would fall back cracking myself up. In the second half of the race some other guy running near us did the same thing and he really had to work hard to get by her. I was back there watching that scene chuckling to myself. I actually did get past her on the steep climb on the purple trail but a 1/2 mile later she went by me again, and I said to her, well "I was waiting to see you again" and she replied sort of stubbornly "well it took me long enough!". Ha. The last 1.5 miles the course is pretty fast and I did chase her down at the finish but decided to hold off on a sprint as I did not want to get chorus of boos at the finish chute. Very happy about my run though.. some other dude crept up behind me in those last few miles and I put the hammer down to hold him off. Good day for a race. Gorgeous weather (mid 40's) and just a touch of moisture on the trails from the morning rain.

QOTD: Well, much of my race schedule next year will be based on the results of a lottery next weekend. I tend to focus on one or two big races (ultras) anymore and then other races are just a matter of convenience. Typically I try to get something in down south (GA or FL) since I have family there. Also there are quite a few local trail races (10k-half) around here that I jump in from time to time. The Dirty Bird trail race I did yesterday is a pretty regular event for me if I am in town. It's a good way to end the year, and I like fast trail running on occasion.

LB2 - I've never done a "fast 100" either. I've done Massanutten twice, Superior once. I'm not sure a fast course appeals to me... too much pressure. Ha.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hoping to get in a long run today or tomorrow.

QOTD: Very interested to see why everyone chooses their races. Locally I run road races so I look for convenience and flat, fast courses. I chose a fixed time race for my first ultra and picked one that offered the most convenience for support, easiest course, and the opportunity to meet up with many on-line running friends. Since then I've selected races mainly on the basis of recommendations or as prep races for my goal race. I plan for the HURL Elkhorn 50K in MT to be my first foray into racing out west in the mountains, so my other races leading up to that will be mainly PA trail races to get as much experience on similar terrain as living in PA allows.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Occasional Runner

Short trail run with my little pup this morning. Coming back from a week in South Carolina made it tough to endure the 14 degree weather. The good news is, my trails are runnable again. They've been a disaster since it started snowing.

QOTD: I try to avoid paying entry fees, so I run races that I get comped into. Once those races are on my schedule, I sprinkle in the races that I really enjoy, like Leadville and foreign races.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hello!  I am back from California and still alive!  I'll try to get a small trip/gear report up in the backpacking thread in a few days.

I ran 8.5 miles yesterday, which felt easy compared to lugging a heavy backpack up and down mountains and canyons.

QOTD: Depends on what I'm looking for in a race, I guess.  Lots of factors.  Right now I'm not racing at all, so it just doesn't matter.

Running is dumb.

muppy

5.6 cross country miles last night. I saw about 25 deer on the course, I hope they make it through today safe! (It's the first day of rifle deer season in PA)

QOTD Not really sure, usually I just pick one that seems like a good time. If I can stay healthy, I plan to do a few races for training and then a 24 hour event next November.

runtraildc

Hi everyone.  Stopped raining, but trying to figure out some motivation to get in a run.  It'll happen-- probably 4 or so miles, plus some strength training.

XT-- nice race!  And good for you to keeping it classy at the end and not crushing past that little girl.  though somehow, it doesn't sound as if she would have let that happen.  10 years old-- wow.

qotd:  Only did a couple of races this year-- and none ultras.  Proximity and schedule are the biggest considerations for me.

NHLA

Raining this morning but might run later.

qotd  I like to race close to home because I feel like hell and want to go home after race.

We have 5 races that have been around for 40+ years so they are tradition and everone shoes up.

I like  to run trail races at DuPont Forest because only 800' of elevation and trails are not too rocky.

I like hilly races because I can win my AG. The little guys can beat me on flat.

Daydreamer1

I might get in a few miles tonight after dark. If I don't feel like running in the dark I'll hit the elliptical. A lot of hunters out today here around the house so I won't run until it's dark.

XT - Been there, done that.  Losing a race to a 10 year old that is. Ran with him for quite a while. He beat me on the final descent. I was having a knee issue that slowed me going down hill, but even without that he still would have won.  If that lottery is the PowerBall and you become so filthy rich that you can run any race you want, just remember to occasionally stop back in here to say Hi .

QOTD:  Schedule, schedule, schedule. I hate to burn PTO just to run a race. If I do It has to be a special one.  Location also plays a role, both in being close to home, or the race being in a area I want to see.

AT-runner

Tim

No running for me today. Had nice weekend of running the flat roads in Chincoteague and Assateague.

XT - Sorry we missed the Dirty Bird, it's a great race. Must have been different with no snow this year.  I think I've seen that little girl, and she cruises. You're right, there would have been a nice chorus of Boo's if you ha taken her down at the finish.

Lace - Sorry to hear about your dog.

QOTD:  Interesting travel locations used to drive my marathon race schedule (years ago).  Now it's mostly scenery and I like smaller races with nice support.  I help sponsor a 24hr race, so I do that every year. After that, adventure running trumps races for me.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

Lace - Sorry to hear about your dog.

Thanks, Tim. It's been rough.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Spent the weekend at the beach tent camping.  It was super cold at night and mornings so running didn't happen.  The tide was too high and I would have had to get up a 5AM but it was too cold than.  I ran about 16 Sunday and then scooped up pine needles for another 5 hours!  Woke up this morning and my ankles are killing me.  Must be the cold.  Plan today; maybe a lunch time run we shall see, not feeling the best as I did not sleep well at all last night.

QOTD:  I love running in the woods and single track so I try to pick a course close to home that is in the woods with single.  I also have signed up for races because friends are doing them.

XT:  If it had been a little boy would you have passed?

AT:  Your QOTD on Saturday.  I work in the Social Service System and yes their are plenty of folks who cannot take care of themselves.  There are also a lot of folks who can but choose not too.  It's those people that really grate on my nerves.  They come in her expecting someone to do everything for them!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

1. Our weather continues to suck- below zero now five days running, the worst part is the "weatherman" has said we'll be in the upper 20's with a warmup coming for the same last five days  I need a job where I can just wing it! 

Got in 10 miles yesterday and said screw the weather I'm going anyways. Froze my arse off, but beat sitting on the couch

Will strength train this evening in the warmth of the gym

qotd: it's all about the mountains for me, I'll select races in places I'd run anyways

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

harder to post pics on a phone

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

Lace - What happened to your dog?

Queenie - That little girl also has a brother who races as well. I think I'd let him win too. I talked to him one day at a different race and he complained about school and not letting them run far enough. Hopefully they don't burn out before HS.

AT - I think similar trail conditions to last year, though no snow. A bit slick in places due to rain and leaves but still pretty good.

In dog beers, I've only had one.