Trailer Trash

Where's the Wet Wednesday (Read 26 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

We have been rain free now for 2 weeks.  How do I know that? Because I just had my lawn overseeded 2 weeks ago and I have had to water it daily.  How annoying!!! Anyways, a nice run last night - 5-6 miles. Will get out for something short tonight.

Oh, and I signed up for a race.    Fire on the Mountain 50k on Nov. 6th.  Could be fun, could be a suffer fest.

QOTD: Aligning with yesterday's QOTD - who do you miss on the forums?

I miss Marie.  I am sad that she no longer posts.  Her stories were great.  I miss others too but Marie the most.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

I sort of have a floating SRD this week, which I took today. I have a 50 mile run planned for tomorrow night, so I take the front end of this week as a mini taper for that. I can tell that the actual taper toward the middle of October is going to be rough. Right now, my legs are itching to run. This past weekend was a light weekend with no long run. The weekend before was back to back 20's, and the weekend before that was a fast 50K run, which seems like a year ago. I have high hopes for tomorrow night. If it goes well, I will finish out the last couple of long runs feeling good, which is important. It should go well; I feel pretty fit right now. I have tons of miles in the bank over the past three months, good miles. I just have to take it slow and easy tomorrow night.

QOTD: I guess I miss John the most. I just learned a lot from him, and although I did have an opportunity where I conveyed that to him, it would be nice for him to see that in practice.

I also hope Marie is doing well. I know she was in a really bad situation. Has anyone heard from her?

LB2

muppy

10.1 miles on the rail trail. I’ve been trying to stay within certain heart rate zones and it wasn’t  happening. Normally my slow pace is 65-70% yesterday it would shot up to 85-90% right away. It was humid out but it’s been like that all summer.

QOTD Marie, John, Kelly and I forget her name on here but I think her name was Dani, I did the Dirty German a few years ago  and she was there.

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today. Taking this as a step back week, even though my mileage is still limited right now. Last week was a lot of running / walking since we tend to run our way through national Parks (Badlands, Devils Tower, etc.)

Gatsby - glad you are healing as expected.

QOTD:  +1 on John and Marie. John and I shared a lot of messaging back and forth before he died, and he never let it known that the end was a close as it was. That doesn't surprise me.

Also remember someone named Mandy who used to post. 

On the RA absentees, how's Jonferg and Moon doing.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Daydreamer1

Did 5.4 miles last night in the heat. Got the heart rate up to 184 several times. The cardio system was rested after the layoff but the legs were sluggish so the speed was slow. Met DW and DD and walked with them about 3/4 of a mile.

Going to head out on the bike for about 30 miles.  Going to try to hit a lot of hills.

QOTD:  I miss all those that were mentioned. The one that hasn't been mentioned that I really wonder about quite often is Trail Tromper and Marley.  After he moved to Florida he had a bad time of it and seemed like he received bad medical care.  Often wonder how he made out. I kind of figure that if he was back to running he would have posted so I'm afraid that it never worked out for him to get back into it.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

strength training yesterday evening- week two of the Wendler program, slightly bastardized by me

going to try and get 3-4 miles with Tiny E this evening

qotd: I enjoyed posts from all the above mentioned, maybe some day a few of them will reappear

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

QOTD:  I miss all those that were mentioned. The one that hasn't been mentioned that I really wonder about quite often is Trail Tromper and Marley.  After he moved to Florida he had a bad time of it and seemed like he received bad medical care.  Often wonder how he made out. I kind of figure that if he was back to running he would have posted so I'm afraid that it never worked out for him to get back into it.

He is doing well.  Not running at all, but doing some biking. Marley was still going strong, last I heard.  Pete is making hammered dulcimers now and they are beautiful.  I might e buying one for my daughter for Christmas.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Where do you run a 50 miler by yourself? Or will you not be by yourself? Loops? Out n back?

Just curious.  I think I would struggle to do that mileage by myself.

I sort of have a floating SRD this week, which I took today. I have a 50 mile run planned for tomorrow night, so I take the front end of this week as a mini taper for that. I can tell that the actual taper toward the middle of October is going to be rough. Right now, my legs are itching to run. This past weekend was a light weekend with no long run. The weekend before was back to back 20's, and the weekend before that was a fast 50K run, which seems like a year ago. I have high hopes for tomorrow night. If it goes well, I will finish out the last couple of long runs feeling good, which is important. It should go well; I feel pretty fit right now. I have tons of miles in the bank over the past three months, good miles. I just have to take it slow and easy tomorrow night.

QOTD: I guess I miss John the most. I just learned a lot from him, and although I did have an opportunity where I conveyed that to him, it would be nice for him to see that in practice.

I also hope Marie is doing well. I know she was in a really bad situation. Has anyone heard from her?

LB2

Where do you run a 50 miler by yourself? Or will you not be by yourself? Loops? Out n back?

Just curious.  I think I would struggle to do that mileage by myself.

I have a 2.83 mile loop through the woods around my house. I wish it was 5 miles out and five miles back. Or better yet, 25 out and 25 back. Actually, one way to do the loop is an even 3 miles. However, to get an even 3, you have to do a little .0425 mile off shoot to the stop sign at the end of the gravel road, outbound and inbound to make up the .17 mile for an even 3 in one loop. With 2.83 mile loops, you have to do 18 loops and end up with 50.94 miles. I may do 17 and a short cut for 49.11 or so. The 3 mile even loop is 16 loops with the shortcut at the end. The little .0425 section pisses me off so bad that I just don't even bother with it. I fully understand how irrational and completely crazy it sounds for me to just totally lose it over that little distance, but I just can't get past it. Running to that stop sign makes me want to destroy things. It burns my guts. I hate little out and backs. And the craziest part of that is that the "loop" itself is really an out and back. I have absolutely no problem running the entire thing that many times, but that little section just sends me into a rage. I have no idea why. I just accept it and avoid it. Also, I run with music on those long solo runs like that. I love music, so that helps. However, there are a few songs (and I never know which ones it will be) that totally piss me off when they come on in the playlist. God forbid "that song" ever come on when I have a visual on that stop sign. On a good note, it is convenient to make it back to the house every 30 minutes or so. And, it is hilly enough that I can practice walking ups and running downs.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

I have a 2.83 mile loop through the woods around my house. I wish it was 5 miles out and five miles back. Or better yet, 25 out and 25 back. Actually, one way to do the loop is an even 3 miles. However, to get an even 3, you have to do a little .0425 mile off shoot to the stop sign at the end of the gravel road, outbound and inbound to make up the .17 mile for an even 3 in one loop. With 2.83 mile loops, you have to do 18 loops and end up with 50.94 miles. I may do 17 and a short cut for 49.11 or so. The 3 mile even loop is 16 loops with the shortcut at the end. The little .0425 section pisses me off so bad that I just don't even bother with it. I fully understand how irrational and completely crazy it sounds for me to just totally lose it over that little distance, but I just can't get past it. Running to that stop sign makes me want to destroy things. It burns my guts. I hate little out and backs. And the craziest part of that is that the "loop" itself is really an out and back. I have absolutely no problem running the entire thing that many times, but that little section just sends me into a rage. I have no idea why. I just accept it and avoid it. Also, I run with music on those long solo runs like that. I love music, so that helps. However, there are a few songs (and I never know which ones it will be) that totally piss me off when they come on in the playlist. God forbid "that song" ever come on when I have a visual on that stop sign. On a good note, it is convenient to make it back to the house every 30 minutes or so. And, it is hilly enough that I can practice walking ups and running downs.

I was reading this thinking how crazy, and then I remembered I ran 81 times around a 1.543 miles course this year. 

Good luck with your long run. That's a long enough by yourself that you might start seeing things (like clowns, gnomes, etc.).

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Image result for a stop sign

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Have  mentioned the new deck makes the bedroom very dark...so hard to get up.  I slept through 3 alarms and 6 text messages.  So no run but I am playing hooky from work in the afternoon so I run 6 later today in this beautiful sunny and 70s weather.

qotd: Cgerber, trudgingalong, scrapster, a girl name Andy ...on RA Northern Harrier, that Missoula girl, Kelly, Jonferg, I love you guys but it would be nice to have a little more activity.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I think them loopy things are crazy...then again I am thinking of signing up for a 6 or 12 hour run with a 6 mile loop.  At least it's in the coastal woods.  I figure if others go it's kinda like a Ragner race except that you can run with your friends.

I was reading this thinking how crazy, and then I remembered I ran 81 times around a 1.543 miles course this year. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Nothing crazy about that. I ran 125 laps around a 400m track for one of my 50K races.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sandy-2

I'll do 5 mi after work today.  Just maintaining and avoiding Stop signs.

qotd: I also miss the old gang mentioned by everyone.  Believe it or not I received a message from Marie a few hours ago!!  She said things are overall good. She was doing some short runs a while back and that she'll be working at the Tussey Mountainback and wondering if anyone from here is doing it.

tbd.