Swim Bike Run

Fitting it all in... (Read 417 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, so this year I am tackling my first sprint duathlon (late April) and a couple of century rides, too...in addition to a 25k, a trail relay, and a couple of HMs.

What I'm running into is figuring out how to set up training plans for these things.  Even the more difficult plan I have for a sprint du is assuming that a person is training ONLY for that race...but 2 weeks after the du I will be doing a 25k.  Training for my first century ride and a HM a month later also has me scratching my head.

I put together a rough-draft training plan for the duathlon, including training for the following 25k.  At least one of those weeks would have me working out for 12 hours that week.  Granted, I know time on the bike will be less of a physical toll than the same amount of time running...but TWELVE hours.  Seriously.  My concern is that my body is going to say "f you, bitch!"  I think my max week training for my last marathon was about 10.5 hours of training...and I was feeling a little beat-up and burned-out by that point.

So what do you all recommend?  Cutting back a bit on the running mileage?  I had hoped to hit 1500 running miles this year (had 1800 last year, but without any substantial bike miles), but now wonder if I might be better off simply setting a goal of 100 miles on-foot each month.  I'm guessing that the time on the bike can substitute for some of those short recovery runs, as long as I am still getting a long run and some mid-length support runs...is this right?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Marathonmanleto

Kirsten--i wish i could offer some advice. I stupidly signed up for Bayshore again in light of Ironman Louisville at the end of August.  Any suggestions? Do I run Bayshore as a long?even though all summer remains to train for Ironman??  I'm reading up and am beginning to formulate a plan--you?
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm doing the Steelcase Grand Duathlon on 4/27, then Riverbank Run 25k on 5/8, then North Country Trail Relay on 6/12, Holland Hundred on 7/17, Oktoberfest HM on 9/19, then another century ride on 10/9...after that just 2 fun races without any pressure to perform.

Will this be your first IM?  Wow...I can't even fathom that.  Just the marathon part would make me want to die, but after the swimming and biking...ack!  I look forward to following your training.

~ Sarah Kay

Marathonmanleto

First IM-yes.  Pre-kids (14 years ago) I was an avid triathlete.  Longest at the time was a 70.3.  Decided during the Christmas break that IM would be this year.  Figured it wouldn't get any easier next year...I'm and old fart (46).  Now or never...Bayshore is planned as a training run.  Don't want it to set back training for IM.  Good luck!! Will check in on your progress also.
          protoplasm72

What are your goals for each race and which event are you best at?  I would treat one event as the primary event and fit the rest of my training around it.  If it were me I'd have to train primarily for the biking events and then I'd run the HM's on low volume because I have a much bigger running base.  If my goal was to run a fast HM and just complete the centuries then I'd follow a HM plan and fit the biking in the evenings and long rides on cutback weeks.  The centuries would probably end up being painfests though.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If my goal was to run a fast HM and just complete the centuries then I'd follow a HM plan and fit the biking in the evenings and long rides on cutback weeks.  The centuries would probably end up being painfests though.

This is pretty much where I'm at.  I'm anticipating the century rides hurting...a LOT! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Zoom,

It gets really hard...when I trained for my first Duathlon last year I was also training for a 1/2 marathon.  I did my 1/2 plan to a tee and then added the bike on off days with a double maybe once or twice a week.  But, I only run 4 days a week.  I have found it more difficult this year as I also added swimming and trying to get everything done.

Happy Running,
                Troy
                "Start with your Head, Finish with your Heart!"

I now have to get up early and do doubles 4 days a week.

Mon:  Bike am, swim pm

Tues: easy run, track intervals

Wed: see Mon

Thu: easy run, tempo

Fri:  bike am, beer pm

Sat: easy run/bike

Sun: long run

as you can see, I follow all my hard runs w/biking the next day, I treat it like a recovery.  Oh, and in the winter, almost all of my biking is on the trainer :-(

Most of my events the last couple of years have been running events; when I start training for HIM's again this summer, I'll go back to swimming Tues. & Thurs am, move the easy runs.

My wife and I are both competitive runners, and fitting the training around our 5 yr old can be challenging.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My wife and I are both competitive runners, and fitting the training around our 5 yr old can be challenging.

I totally get this.  Our guy will be 9 in a couple of weeks, so he is more self-sufficient, but still can't be on his own.  Maybe by the time he is 10 we will consider it, but he's ADHD and without his meds has horrible impulse control.  On his meds he's an absolute saint who thinks everything through, but we hate to medicate him on non-school days, so Summers can be a challenge.

My hubby also bikes a lot, so for us to both get our workouts in is sometimes tough.  I can't wait until DS is ready for his own road bike.  I think that is probably about a year or two away, so we're getting there.  He LOVES cycling, so we won't have to push him to go on rides with us when that day comes. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Fri:  bike am, beer pm

Ha, I just noticed this.  Shower beers are the best post-workout recovery! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

I totally get this.  Our guy will be 9 in a couple of weeks, so he is more self-sufficient, but still can't be on his own.  Maybe by the time he is 10 we will consider it, but he's ADHD and without his meds has horrible impulse control.  On his meds he's an absolute saint who thinks everything through, but we hate to medicate him on non-school days, so Summers can be a challenge.

My hubby also bikes a lot, so for us to both get our workouts in is sometimes tough.  I can't wait until DS is ready for his own road bike.  I think that is probably about a year or two away, so we're getting there.  He LOVES cycling, so we won't have to push him to go on rides with us when that day comes. Smile

You'll be luck if he loves to cycle with the two of you. I have two daughters at home (13 and 16) and a son in college (19). Our oldest girl (our tomboy) will go biking pretty much when ever asked, but the younger one (100% girl) would rather not go. I bought bikes for everyone and a yakima to haul the bikes to some paved trails in the area, but rarely go as a group.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Fitting it all in is the real challenge.  It's about LIFE, not just swimming, biking, running, etc.  But swimming, biking, running IS life.  Hmmm.

Confession of an OCD tri guy - work 40+ hours per week defending doctors in medical malpractice lawsuits, train 20 hours a week, dad to an autistic son and a gifted daughter (guess which one is more difficult to raise).  Married to a very talented athlete with goals of her own.

The answer?  Get up really early and work out.  At 5:00 am I can workout and no one misses me.  Not my kids, not my wife (well maybe because she's a "morning person") and not my boss.  Work out at lunch when you can and work out after work when you can.  The rest of the time spend with your kids and spouse.  Drink wine with your spouse after the kids go to bed.  Try to do dishes and some laundry.

You can be a rock star at running on 10 hours per week.  Triathlon in different. 

Zoomy - to answer your question - don't cut back on your running.  Add biking around it.  Do several short rides during the week and a long ride on the weekends.  I do my long ride on Saturday and my long run on Sunday.  Try to run for 30 minutes after your long ride.  Add it slowly.   Don't worry if you running suffers a bit at first.  You'll get used to it.

I'm an idiot (don't tell my wife).

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, Troy...you may be an idiot, but I'm impressed by all that you accomplish.  My nephew is autistic and I know what a challenge that is, alone.  And a gifted kid...ha, they are a handful.  My folks had 2/3 of us that were categorized as gifted and my brother and I are also likely ADHD (guess where my kid gets it from, heh?).

My biggest challenge to finding time is that I am so friggin' slow.  In the time it takes me to put in a 50 mile week there are folks running 80-90 miles.  It's true that running more makes us faster, but finding the time to run more when one starts out slow is a shitty catch-22. Tongue

I have fun, so I'm just going to do what I can and see where I need to concentrate the most training after my first duathlon.  I have a feeling the cycling speed is going to come MUCH easier.  These big quads aren't for nothin'. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Darla1

Great suggestions!  I have a hard time fitting it all in and my kids are out of the house, I admire both of you.  I'm thinking that I need to do 2-a-days to get my swimming and biking in too.  Great suggestion about running after your long ride, I did a baby tri last summer - it was a blast.  I'm not sure I can afford to get too deep in the tri world.  I'm already thinking I need a new bike!
                                I did a baby tri last summer

Baby Tri?????

That must be like one of those 5k marathons.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life