Swim Bike Run

A potentially Embarrassing Question for Guy cyclists (Read 494 times)

This is tough for me to ask and I chose this forum since i am not a regular on it. I post on the masters running forum here and there.

But here goes...trying not to overshare...I have been dating my cycling partner for a few months. We just crossed the line and made it exclusive just a week ago. Here's the issue, in bed he cant perform (for lack of better words without TMI). I have been told that long rides on a road bike cause this. We have been putting the miles on lately too from 45 to 55 mile rides at a shot. He doesnt like padded butt shorts. Not sure why not. Plus as you all know road bike seats are hard as rocks. So 55 mile rides on a rock hard seat could possibly be causing it.

I am in a weird position as I dont want to further frustrate him but it affects me too so I want to help find a cause.

Any suggestions  or advice would be appreciated.

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

The voice of mile 18

padded shorts and properly fitted bike seat could help.  he may be constricting flow to the his male bits

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html#impotency

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

protoplasm72

Invest in a split saddle like an Adamo and have the bike fit adjusted.  He might have to live with a slightly less aggressive fit but it's a small price to pay.  If it is caused by biking, it can be fixed.  If he picks his bike performance over his bedroom performance then he's got bigger problems.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Doesn't like padded shorts?  What...guys in cycling shorts are hot!  It's probably the only reason I watch the TdF in any capacity--I hate televised sports!

Seriously, though, I hope you two can find a solution.  I am just now getting into cycling and the seat issue is proving to be, well, an issue.  I don't think the seat that came with my bike is wide enough for my sit bones and I may benefit from a seat with the hole in the center/nose area.  I notice a lot of men's seats have this feature, too.  No sense constricting blood flow and causing nerve damage to these areas if it's not necessary--for men or women.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks. It was a tough question to ask. I will mention the seat to him. Its a tough subject to bring up to anyone. I feel bad for him and dont want to further frustrate him.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Yeah, it ain't the bike, or riding a bike, or anything like that.

#1, he needs proper bike fit, including saddle position and angle (Counterintuitively, it may help to RAISE the nose of the saddle - that pushes you back on to the wider part, where you have bones to support your weight). 

Then he needs the right saddle - don't get overly hung up on a hole or split saddle, the important thing is that right saddle. Mine, a Fizik Aliante, is comfortable for me for 100+ mile rides, and has no cutout or soft spot whatsoever. 

Then he needs to look at good shorts, and he needs to get them on right, i.e. pulled up so the chamois is tucked up against you, with no gaps or anything. Bibshorts are almost universally regarded as more comfortable for guys - and don't get cheap ones (unless they work for him). 

The places to spend good money are the places where you contact the bike - butt, hands, and feet.

Finally, he needs to see his doctor about it.

did

Thanks Did.

I hate bringing up the subject. I feel awful for him. But I will find the right time to mention it.

Laurie

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

I wear tri shorts exclusively, they have almost no pads.  I have the opposite problem.  My wife will have a special place in heaven .  I don't think his choice of shorts is an issue.

I have heard that sitting on the soft spots can cause vascular damage in men.  I would say he should see a urologist and see if it could be that or something else.  If it is determined that it relates to a vascular problem, I'd tell him to ride a road bike (as opposed to a triathlon bike).  Get a good bike fit so (1) his legs are extending at the bottom of his pedal stroke and (2) he is sitting on his "sit" bones (the bony part of his a$$) and not the soft spots. 

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Thanks T bone. Dont forget to stop by the newbies running thread. Just dont mention my little issue over there. I dont want to be teased mercilessly by them. They are good at that.

Laurie