Swim Bike Run

Swim training (Read 327 times)

I'm a new swimmer. I started swimming Jan 15th and have logged just under 2 miles since my first 300 yard swim in the pool. I have never had a lesson and didn't have friends that were swimmers. I messed around in the water as a young lad, but have pretty much stayed out of the water over the last 15 years or so. I really don't care for it, never have.

The deal is my wife is into triathlons and as the kids are getting older, I would like to start training and competing in them with her. I think it would be real fun to travel to different parts of the country with her and do a triathlon. I have a dream of doing an Ironman by my 45th, I'm 41 now. I want to do a couple sprint tri's this summer because she is the race director for two local tris and I can compete for free, always a bonus.

My swimming has been progressing, just not like I would like it. I have been watching video clips on proper technique because that is apparently the number one focus for getting faster and gaining endurance. I have also noticed the occasional vid on the use of a snorkel in training. I'm thinking about getting one and am wondering what some of guys and gals think about using one.

I'm particularly interested in its use to help me with form. I can breathe, but after a few laps I feel that my breathing goes into a survival mode and my form goes to hell. I was hoping that swimming with a snorkel would help me get past the "survival breathing" and help build my endurance. I was thinking if I concentrate on breathing with the strokes as I should, I could also train my breathe.

Thoughts?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

protoplasm72

There are cases where a snorkel can help but for the most part I think it re-enforces poor form.  It's good for drills so you can focus on parts of your form when you are just starting out.  The problem is people use it as a crutch to help get longer workouts in.  You need to work on your form first and endurance second.  Don't re-enforce bad habits.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Gotta TRI

+1 to that. I'd use as I would zoomers, paddles, or kickboard. Form and technique are the key to a good swim. Losing your breathing after a few laps may not be as endurance related as much as form. You may be swimming too hard incorrectly. Slow down, focus on form and you'll find breathing won't be as difficult.
        2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
          +1 to that. I'd use as I would zoomers, paddles, or kickboard. Form and technique are the key to a good swim. Losing your breathing after a few laps may not be as endurance related as much as form. You may be swimming too hard incorrectly. Slow down, focus on form and you'll find breathing won't be as difficult.

I've watch some snippets of the TI method (i will be ordering the freestyle and breathing videos) and think I understand what they are teaching. I'm currently swimming a 50 anywhere from 1:08 to 1:30, not very fast at all. I'm good for a couple laps with bilateral breathing, then I have to go every other stroke.

I'm one of those people that when I push out all my air, I can literally sink to the bottom of the pool. Thats probably where the "survival breathing" comes from.

I was thinking of using the freestyle snorkel once or twice a week in a five day a week schedule. I wasn't thinking about using it exclusively, just more of a means to add some extra yardage for a cardio workout. But then again, I know absolutely nothing about swimming besides the fact that I haven't drowned yet.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life