Road to Hopkinton

It just ain't fair... (Read 305 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

So I trained really hard last fall (I said hard, not smart, but I digress). Lots of miles, tempos, and so on. Came close to BQ (missed by 2 minutes in the hardest effort of my life). Then DW, who runs about 15 miles in a good week, none at all in an easy week, all very slow (she lets me run ahead because my 9:30 pace is too fast for her), decides, spur of the moment, to run the Mobile, AL First Light Marathon. Against everyone's advice. She almost never runs longer than 6 miles, slowly, and her last "long run" was a HM on Dec 16. She finished with a 3:54, BQ'ed, and won Women's Master division. I'm proud of her, and happy for her, but... It just ain't fair!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Oh wow!! That's awesome. I'm sorry that it seems to be unfair-- but that is so cool. All those slower paced shorter runs were just helping her to store up the energy to kick butt in the marathon. Big grin

Michelle

Carl A

That's funny! I think I want to run Boston just because it seems so impossible right now. Personal scarcity is creating a demand, I guess. She's got some strong running talent, that's for sure!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Came close to BQ (missed by 2 minutes in the hardest effort of my life). It just ain't fair!
          Stop whining! train more, harder, longer and try again! BTW I missed BQ by 5.4 seconds last year. Heading for "Last chance for Boston in 4 weeks"
          Goals 2008 1: BQ/PB <3:30:59 done feb 17th bq 3:27 2: half ironman done aug 10 3: 2 or more m. done feb 17th and boston april 22. 4: sprint tri done july 5 goals 2009 1: the norseman done="" feb="" 17th="" bq="" 3:27="" 2:="" half="" ironman="" done="" aug="" 10="" 3:="" 2="" or="" more="" m.="" done="" feb="" 17th="" and="" boston="" april="" 22.="" 4:="" sprint="" tri="" done="" july="" 5="" goals="" 2009="" 1:="" the=""></3:30:59 done feb 17th bq 3:27 2: half ironman done aug 10 3: 2 or more m. done feb 17th and boston april 22. 4: sprint tri done july 5 goals 2009 1: the norseman>

Imminent Catastrophe

You kind of missed my point, and your editing changed the intent of my original post but, I hear you. No whining, just musing.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I hear ya, Prof! Good for your wife, though ... wow ... Surprised (if my husband ran a marathon like that, without much training, BQ'd, and won his division, I'd be whining while congraulating him ... AND continuing to run my butt off!!)
              2009: BQ?