Road to Hopkinton

2010 (Read 597 times)

va

I think the best case scenario has me qualifying in fall of 2009, for the 2010 marathon. In this case, I would have 2 years of training, or 4 marathon seasons – Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009, and Fall 2009. If I plug a 3:30 finishing time into the McMillan running calculator, I get equivalent performance numbers for 5K (21:32), 10K (44:45), and half marathon (1:39:34). I will use these as targets to train towards, first focusing on the 5K, and then working my way up to the longer distances. For each season I will have a primary target race which will be the focus of my training for that season. Other races will simply act as gauges of progress. For example: Spring 2008 5K_____________0:22:00___0:07:05___primary target, ~3:30 5K equivalent 10K____________0:47:30___0:07:39 marathon_______4:00:00___0:09:10 Fall 2008 10K____________0:45:00___0:07:16___primary target, ~3:30 10K equivalent half marathon____1:50:00___0:08:24 marathon_______3:50:00___0:08:47 Spring 2009 half marathon____1:40:00___0:07:39___primary target, ~3:30 HM equivalent marathon_______3:40:00___0:08:24 Fall 2009 marathon_______3:30:00___0:08:01___primary target, BQ What do you think? Do these goals sound achievable, or am I kidding myself?
    Carl A

I'm still learning here too, but I think that your numbers describe a good plan. The ten-minute PRs sound gradual enough to be achievable. And, like you, I'm also hoping to track my progress by completing shorter races and time trials, though right now I'm thinking that I'll probably stick closer to bi-weekly 5Ks in the spring, and not do many or any medium-length races. Also, I think it's important to keep in mind that, as last weekend has shown all too well, conditions can vary widely among different marathons. Even if you miss a goal due to poor weather conditions, a tough course, or even just having a bad day, you may still be on track for the overall plan. I say go for it!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

btb1490

Stephen, I like your long term goals. I really think it takes a few marathons and a few years to start to become proficient at a marathon. What do you think your training plan will look like? How do you plan on getting these goals?
        va

...What do you think your training plan will look like? How do you plan on getting these goals?
          Good question. I won't be following any particular training plan during the month and a half after Richmond, just enjoying the running and burning calories. I want to reach my target weight by the end of the year. I will be doing around 30 miles per week. In January I will start some form of training which focuses on improving my 5K time. I need to shave 3 minutes off of my 5K PR. Any recommendation for 5K plans?
          btb1490

Good question. I won't be following any particular training plan during the month and a half after Richmond, just enjoying the running and burning calories. I want to reach my target weight by the end of the year. I will be doing around 30 miles per week. In January I will start some form of training which focuses on improving my 5K time. I need to shave 3 minutes off of my 5K PR. Any recommendation for 5K plans?
            Stephen, since your plan is to race everything from a 5k up to a marathon, might I suggest getting the book "Road Racing for Serious Runners" by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas. It covers all the training basics needed to maximize your performance for each distance. http://www.amazon.com/Road-Racing-Serious-Runners-Pfitzinger/dp/0880118180/ref=sr_1_1/104-0070218-5039977?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192278946&sr=8-1 Just realize that the training needed to excel at a 5k is quite a bit different than the training needed to run a good marathon. So as you move from one race distance to the next, your training methods will change accordingly. It's a very well written, concise book. I think you will benefit a lot from it.
            va

Thanks Bob. I'll check it out. MTA: Wow, the reviews on this book are quite good. I ordered it, only $12.98 + $3.99 for shipping...
              Jeffrey

The Pfitzinger/Douglas book "Advanced Marathoning" is another good one. Plenty of online reviews praise their training schedules in the book.
                derek

If you are following one of the Pftiz plans, I had created a training plan generator that you may find useful. You can set your goal date and it'll generate a schedule telling you what to run each day leading up to your target race. You can also create a PDF of the schedule. I don't have ALL the plans, but I do have the what seem to be the more popular one. http://www.roadtoboston.com/djapps/trainingPlans/overview/

Derek

va

Thanks Jeffrey, Derek. The tricky part I see for myself, is how to have my primary focus be the 5K in the Spring while still being adequately prepared for a Spring marathon. I suspect that 5K training plans have less emphasis on mileage and the long run, different interval/paces for the speed work, and different paces for tempo runs. I may need to create some form of hybrid plan. For example, with intervals and tempo runs tailored to the 5K, and long runs tailored to the marathon. Need to learn more...
                    Jeffrey

Derek: Thanks again for the PDF generator at your site. As you know, that's what I used to create my 18/55 plan for my October 21 race. I hope you keep your site up so I can create a spring plan! Big grin Stephen: One of the nice by-products of using the Pfitz marathon training plan has been a noteworthy decrease in my sub marathon distance paces. I wasn't planning on running a faster 10k, it just happened as a result of the LT workouts. Several weeks ago I surprised myself running a 6.28 pace 10k TT. Later on in the plan is when he has you incorporating VO2max workouts. This phase could help with your 5k abilities. I ran a 5k back in June at a 6.45 pace. If I were to run that distance today I think I could be around 6.2x or faster based on my 10k pace.
                      va

Jeffery, I can definitely see how marathon training would result in pace improvements at shorter distances. The question in my mind is what is the best way fro me to get to a BQ? Note, I am very very far from BQ-ing, and it could be that I may not even be capable of ever BQ-ing. As I see it, there are two main approaches: #1 Focus on progressively longer distances, only changing focus to a longer distance once certain performance objectives are met at the short distance. #2 Focus only on the marathon distance, repeat mararthon training cycles until you BQ. I am favoring #1, since I have such a long way to go, and I have this notion, that if I break the goal up into smaller "easier" goals, I may have a better chance of success. For example, I think it will be easier for me to run a sub 22 minute 5K than it will be for me run a sub 3:30 marathon. And so on, with the 10K and half-marathon distances. Also, if I can't run a sub 22 minute 5K, I probably will never be able to run a sub 3:30 marathon. On this topic, I read the following in the "Competitive Runner's Handbook" (which I am finding to be a a good book): "We often see runners who are successful at shorter distances struggling to be marathoners. Make the most of your ability at 5K first, then move up gradually in racing distance if you choose. Okay, get your first marathon out of your way if you insist, but then go back to the 5K until you have developed enough endurance and strength to transfer your 5K speed to longer distances." This makes alot of sense to me.
                          Stephen, Just wanted to share what has helped me and how far I've come. In 2005 I ran my very first marathon in 4:40:can't remember the seconds right off hand. Anyway I used Higdon's beginners marathon training plan (not very much milage at all). Anyway after finishing the marathon I took 6 weeks off (should have NEVER done that). Got back running but milage was kept usually in the teens and twenties (no longer than 35.6) until the end of Feb this year when I started getting in around 40 miles a week. At that point I decided I really needed to get my marathon base stepped up so that I would be good come 2007 fall marathon training. I started getting consistant with my weekly milage creeping it up and up and up until I started getting 50+ a week on a regular basis. I really didn't do alot of "speed" work though I found my self running progressions on a semi regular basis. Anyway long story short I did my first fall marathon in Sept. Cut almost 30 minutes off of my time from 2005. Last week I cut another 10 minutes off, and I really believe if I had really tried I could of cut off another 5-10 minutes. We'll see what Philly has instore for me. But if I can do it, there is DEFINETLY a possibility of you doing it. I really think consistancy and lots of miles are the key! GOOD LUCK!! MTA: I started running around may-june of 2005. MTA: GREAT RACE!!!! Nice PR!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

va

Pam, Thanks for sharing this and for the encouragement. You've done so well, and it gives me hope. Btw, I think both Steamtown and Philly have the reputation for being fast, so it will be interesting to hear your perpective after running them both in the same season.
                              I took up running again in August 03', being an off and on runner for years. No particular sturcture or race goals but when I was able to run 12 miles, I decided to run a marathon that was nine months out. I think I ran 900 miles or so in 2004 and ran CIM in December of that year in 4:07Tight lippedx. My path took an unorthodox route after CIM as I signed up for a 50k trial race a week after CIM although I never really ran trails. The race was in March of 05 and I've ran a lot of ultras since. I'm not fast by any means at ultra, maybe a solid midpacker on a good day. I've run 4 road marathons and maybe 14-15 ultras. I find that a trail 50k or a 50M to be easier on the bod than a hard road marathon. And I felt that I've built a good aerobic base by training for ultra and I've never hit a wall in a marathon. Some of my training runs will go out 6-7 hours and then the occaisional race. A lot of that time is spent in the 11-17 mpm pace depending upon the hill climbing. Going out with the group, we sometimes stop, enjoy the scenery or maybe poke around for some time in an old mining camp, then get back on the trail. My 70% HR is 131 and maybe a 6-7 hour run might register an average heart rate of 122-126. I don't do much speed work. But I acknowledge the specificity of training so when I wanted to BQ in 2006, I dropped trails for the most part, ran roads, some 10k's and used the Pfitz 18/55 plan and BQ'd at CIM in December of 05, 3:34Tight lippedx and ran Boston this year. In a perfect world I would like to start a buildup in January and run a goal ultra in June, take off some in the summer and train to run a fast marathon in the late fall, take off December and start the process again.
                              va

Hi Bill, Good to hear from you, and thanks for sharing your story. Nice job going from a 4:07 to a 3:34 in one year. That is great. It's also interesting that you did this without much speed work.