Road to Hopkinton

Anybody run the Boston Marathon? (Read 603 times)

Jeffrey

What was the experience like for you? Give us some details, the good, bad and the ugly. What training plan got you qualified? I haven't qualified yet. I am a novice. My first attempt racing the 26.2 distance comes up on October 21st in Columbus, OH.
    btb1490

Jeffrey, for me Boston is/was a great experience. Whether I am running the race or not, I go to Boston anyway for that weekend. The entire city embraces the race, and if you are running it, you really are made to feel like someone special. You can't go anywhere without someone asking you if you're running the marathon, and wishing you good luck. Many people will say it's just like any other big marathon, and if you strictly look at it from just a race point of view, to some degree they are right. You still have crowds to deal with, lines to wait in, hours to kill before the race. But you can never escape the feeling that you are part of something really special. In a church service I attended on Sunday before the race, they took time during the service to make anyone who was running the next day stand up, and a special prayer was said just for them. Good stuff. Look beyond the actual race itself, look at the people and the places and the events surrounding it, and that's what really makes this thing special. That, and knowing that you had to work your butt off to get to the finish line. Some scenes from 2007, the year of the nor'easter. Starting out in Hopkinton Fun crowds! Looking back down Heartbreak Hill The famous Citgo sign signalling that the end is near. The sight that makes it all worth it! As far as training goes, whichever training plan allows you to get out the door as often and as consistently as possible is the one that is going to work for you. There is no magic formula. Consistency, time and patience are the key. Good luck in Columbus, and beyond!
      Jeffrey

Bob - nice reply. Thanks for the stories and the pictures. Earlier this year I was working on a project with a print-rep located in Boston. We were trying to finalize things on a Friday when she told me the office would be closed Monday. I said, but what am I missing here, which holiday is it? She said something like, well it's not really a holiday but her business was shut -- for the marathon on Monday -- because the whole city basically shuts down for it!
          Great pictures. What a way to get a feel of what it would be like to be there! Smile

Michelle

BTW Bob you are someone special! Great pictures!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks for the post--nice motivation. Are those the infamous screaming Wellesley Girls in the fourth photo?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

btb1490

Thanks for the post--nice motivation. Are those the infamous screaming Wellesley Girls in the fourth photo?
                Yes those are the Wellesley girls. Being that it was bad weather this year, the turnout there was lighter than usual. Most years they are 4-5 deep. On those years, you literally can hear the screaming start from 3/4th of a mile away. The rush of adrenaline you get as you go through there is amazing.
                  Great post and pics, Bob! I'm running Boston this April, so that post revved me up. How was Heartbreak Hill? Is it really all that bad or did you barely notice it? (I've heard runners say things at the opposite ends of the spectrum about it...).

btb1490

Great post and pics, Bob! I'm running Boston this April, so that post revved me up. How was Heartbreak Hill? Is it really all that bad or did you barely notice it? (I've heard runners say things at the opposite ends of the spectrum about it...).
                    Tanya, the people who have said Heartbreak Hill is bad, and those that said you barely notice it, are both right! It all depends on your state of being when you get there. If you started off fresh at the bottom of the hill and ran up it, you would probably say no big deal. Stick it at mile 18 of a marathon, and it can seem like a small mountain depending on how you feel at that point. Comparing it to hills that I've encountered in other marathons, there certainly are worse. But again, this one is at mile 18, plus it has other hills associated with it, collectively called the Newton Hills, that when combined together can be pretty formidable. People often get into trouble here because the early downhills of the race cause them to go out too fast, leaving them trashed by the time the hills come along. Congrats on qualifying! I hope you plan to take in the women's Olympic Trials the day before while you are there this year.
                      Thanks for that insight on the hills! Next month, I'm doing a marathon here in Nashville that is nothing but ridiculous hills, so I'm hoping that that experience will help tame HB Hill...But you never know until you get there, I guess. And yes, we're getting to Boston on Saturday in order to watch the trials the next day...I'm psyched about seeing that. Are you going back again this year?

btb1490

Thanks for that insight on the hills! Next month, I'm doing a marathon here in Nashville that is nothing but ridiculous hills, so I'm hoping that that experience will help tame HB Hill...But you never know until you get there, I guess. And yes, we're getting to Boston on Saturday in order to watch the trials the next day...I'm psyched about seeing that. Are you going back again this year?
                        I think the best thing for taming the Newton Hills is to get to them with some gas left in the tank. In other words, run a smart race! For training, I'd suggest trying to imitate the Boston course on your long runs, making sure you add a few good uphills about 2/3's of the way through. Yep, I'm heading up again this year. Wouldn't miss it!

Imminent Catastrophe

... I'm doing a marathon here in Nashville that is nothing but ridiculous hills ...
                          Doing the Monkey? Just curious, so am I...

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Doing the Monkey? Just curious, so am I...
                            Yes! Was it the "ridiculous hills" comment that gave it away? I'd like to think that mile 19 of the Monkey from the Stone Gates to Luke Lea will make Heartbreak Hill seem more like Ant Hill. Are you in Nashville? I think there's a 20+ training run this weekend in the park.

Imminent Catastrophe

Too bad, I'm in North Georgia.

What's going on? Where is everybody? Boston is less than 6 months awaY!! Evil grin