Road to Hopkinton

Back on the road (Read 214 times)

Carl A

Although it's been a few years since I've run a marathon, I've just talked a few of my old high school friends into running the Northern Central Trail Marathon next November. So, this year I'm adding marathon training back in with my ultra training, and I hope that I can train well enough to make it to Hopkinton sometime soon. How has your winter running been going? Several of you, I think, are in the middle phases of actually training for this year's Boston. Good luck, especially, to you, and let us know how it's going!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Hi Carl, I am hoping to BQ sometime this year and am currently training for my first attempt in Charlevoix Michigan on June 27th. If that doesn't get me there my second marathon will be the Spirit of Survival Marathon sometime in October in Oklahoma. They have not picked the dates yet. I ran my first marathon last May The Bayshore in traverse City Mi and ran a respectable 3:51:10 I trained for the Detroit Marathon and felt I had a BQ in me until I fell on a run and injured both my shoulders in September and could not make it to Detroit in October. I am currently building miles 7 days a week with Some hills and MP miles in my longer runs. I hope this group gets some activity as most Boston groups are for people that are already going . Good luck with your goals this year and I will check in every once in a while to see how its going with you. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Carl A

Larry, good to hear that you're persevering through the training. Falling in September, when you were so close to your goal, must have been the worst. I think that you've got the right idea - achieving a BQ seems to be largely a matter of getting in enough training miles. Thank you for the good-luck wish, and here's hoping that 2009 is a great year for you, too. Things are going well for me so far this year, and I'm slowly but steadily increasing my miles. I just decided this week to start running on more of my day-job work breaks. Most days, that means I'll get to run up to three times a day: 2 two-milers during scheduled coffee breaks, and a lunchtime run of about six miles.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.