Road to Hopkinton

Articles... (Read 442 times)

va

va

Boston Marathon Qualifying Statisttics Check-out Figure 1, "Top Ten BQ Rates".
      Carl A

Thanks for the short but informative articles. I like the writer's incremental approach to getting faster at long distances, and I noticed also that the homepage has a bunch of other running info.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Great article, thanks for sharing. I get so jealous when I hear that ppl qualify for Boston at their first marathon. But --- I know that my years of training will be worth it when I finally DO BQ!
          2009: BQ?
          va

Great article, thanks for sharing. I get so jealous when I hear that ppl qualify for Boston at their first marathon. But --- I know that my years of training will be worth it when I finally DO BQ!
            This is a true story... I know this woman who ran Richmond as her first marathon. She didn't train for it. I think she decided to run it within 2 weeks of race day. Her longest run beforehand was a half marathon race. She is a tennis coach and in good physical shape. She is also a good runner. She has run 2 local halfs that I know of, one in 1:32, the other in 1:34. She completed Richmond in 3:19, beating here BQ time by 20 minutes. The next day she was at work giving tennis lessons. This remarkable story doesn't really make me dwell on my genetic deficiencies or envy here abilities. It makes me regret not taking care of my body and getting so out of shape. The contrast is amazing. I trained, as a beginning runner, for 15 months, and ran Richmond in 4:16. She didn't train, and ran it in 3:19.
              It makes me regret not taking care of my body and getting so out of shape.
              I think some people are just made to run fast(er), though. I don't think that I've ever been really out of shape , but I could never not train for a marathon and run it in 3:19 (or run a 3:19 ever. period. Wink).
              2009: BQ?
              seeEricaRun

Awesome

This remarkable story doesn't really make me dwell on my genetic deficiencies or envy here abilities. It makes me regret not taking care of my body and getting so out of shape. The contrast is amazing. I trained, as a beginning runner, for 15 months, and ran Richmond in 4:16. She didn't train, and ran it in 3:19.
                I would definitely have to think this is a case of inherent ability - no one would argue that Lance Armstrong was out of shape last year, though his training also lacked, and he barely beat the WAVA equivalent men's time for this woman.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yep, Tucson is on that list, although the course has changed a bit. 4 days to go...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

va

Yep, Tucson is on that list, although the course has changed a bit. 4 days to go...
                    Did they make it easier or harder?
                      This is a true story... I know this woman who ran Richmond as her first marathon. She didn't train for it. I think she decided to run it within 2 weeks of race day. Her longest run beforehand was a half marathon race. She is a tennis coach and in good physical shape. She is also a good runner. She has run 2 local halfs that I know of, one in 1:32, the other in 1:34. She completed Richmond in 3:19, beating here BQ time by 20 minutes. The next day she was at work giving tennis lessons. This remarkable story doesn't really make me dwell on my genetic deficiencies or envy here abilities. It makes me regret not taking care of my body and getting so out of shape. The contrast is amazing. I trained, as a beginning runner, for 15 months, and ran Richmond in 4:16. She didn't train, and ran it in 3:19.
                      That is pretty impressive, but there are a few things to consider that might make everyone feel better. If she was running 1:32 half marathons close to the marathon, that would calculate to (roughly) a 3:10-3:14 marathon. Granted, her "long" runs were only of half marathon distance, but some top athletes only do long runs of 16 miles or less in preparation for a marathon, focusing on speed and tempo runs instead. Plus, if she's a tennis coach, she's (I would guess) doing quite a bit of running all day long. Even so, she's definitely got unusual talent. Yeah, I hate her too. Big grin

jpnairn

straw man

I just learned about this page of Boston qualifying data mentioned above. I used to look at the BAA list of the races most frequently used for qualifying times: http://www.baa.org/BostonMarathon/Qualifying.asp and I assumed it showed a set of at least fairly good qualifiers. Now I know better. Twin Cities 7.7% of runners qualify. Rock 'n' Roll 7.2% Marine Corps 5.7% Disney 3.3% (Ranks 175th out of 179 marathons as far as percentage qualifying for Boston.)

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Imminent Catastrophe

Tucson's percentage will go way down after the course change last year. Not a particularly fast course now.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

jpnairn

straw man

Hmm, I've run Tucson the last 5 years. There have been several slight changes over that time. Last year was my best time there. I don't think it was easier, but it wasn't noticeably harder, either. Anyway, part of the changes last year were required because of construction which will be completed next year, so it will be different again. That page of statistics listing Tucson among the top 10 was based on the past two years, so apparently there were still a lot of Boston qualifiers last year.

Imminent Catastrophe

Maybe it was just me (although I heard a lot of runners saying the same)--the hilly Biosphere section really took it out of me, I never got my energy back after that, and the last 2 miles put the nail in the coffin.

jpnairn

straw man

Dang, I forgot that run out the biosphere road. I must have blocked it out. That was nasty. Well, with any luck it will be gone this year.