Road to Hopkinton

Baystate (Read 336 times)

I'm thinking of running Baystate in October ... 1/3 of the field BQ'd in 2007 (of course, a high percentage of the runners were there TO qualify, but still). It's that or MCM.
    2009: BQ?

Imminent Catastrophe

I haven't done Baystate, but did MCM in 2006. It's a good course, but hills and crowds in the early miles might cost you a few minutes. Really beautiful and memorable scenery though, and the finish at the Iwo Jima Memorial is priceless.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I haven't done Baystate, but did MCM in 2006. It's a good course, but hills and crowds in the early miles might cost you a few minutes. Really beautiful and memorable scenery though, and the finish at the Iwo Jima Memorial is priceless.
        I did MCM in 2006 also!! It's a beautiful course, and the crowd support is nice.
        2009: BQ?
          I'm thinking of running Baystate in October ... 1/3 of the field BQ'd in 2007 (of course, a high percentage of the runners were there TO qualify, but still). It's that or MCM.
          I've run Baystate the last 2 years and plan to run again this year as I try and get my BQ. In fact I train on the course since I live less than 2 miles from a point on the course. The course is run twice over a 10 mile loop with 3 miles early in the race and 3.2 at the end to fill up the 26.2 miles. If you need a huge crowd and lots of people to run with then this isnt the race for you. If you like having a bit of space and not having to worry about being boxed in this is a nice race. It is really flat. There are a couple very small inclines and only 1 hill you have to run up twice that is only a couple hundred yards long. Another advantage is that it is run in Oct and any time is good for the next 2 Boston races. The last two years the weather has been great. Race started in low 40s and warmed into the low 50s with a little bit of wind.
          PRs 2 mile: 12:30 7/07 5k: 19:39 8/08 10k: 44:12 5/07 HalfM: 1:35:06 2/08 25k: 1:57:30 9/08 Mar: 3:19:07 10/08
          seeEricaRun

Awesome

I did MCM in 2006 also!! It's a beautiful course, and the crowd support is nice.
            I was there as well. I thought the crowd support was awesome, and loved the course (except for that hill in the last .3 miles). It was hillier than I expected, but still not terribly hilly. Anyway, I MIGHT do Baystate or Steamtown this fall for a qualifier. I dropped my training in January and didn't make it this winter. E