Road to Hopkinton

Training thoughts (Read 528 times)

I am not one to follow a training plan. I tried, it never works. My general thought is to build up a tolerance of long distance at one pace and get to a max of 20 for my really long run and then circle back around in a sense, and start to add in faster miles during a long run, starting at maybe 10 mile runs and buidling up again. Does that makes sense? Do you think that will prove to be helpful? I don't think I can maintain a fast pace for the entire marathon distance but if I have system of either splitting the race into two and running two different paces, or doing an every other 5k distance paces (say 9 min miles and then 8 min miles). Maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong. Any suggestions? MTA: I know I am way out of line for setting a goal of under 3:45 for next year but I'm hoping that motivates me to get close.

Michelle

va

Hi Michelle, I don't think you're out of line for shooting for 3:45 next year. I think if you train well, and dont get injured, it's definitely within reach. What makes me think this is you have some good shorter distance speed. Ýour prediction based on your 10 miler finish is around 3:48. I suspect you could do this with any of the popular ready made plans, or develop your own plan. Many books on running have chapters on writing your own training schedule (e.g., The Competitive Runners Handbook by Glover). If you have some of your own unique training ideas, that would fun to try them out, and see how they work, but it may not give you the greatest chance of success (simply because it may take some time to develop). Your idea of splitting the race into 2 paces is interesting. In some sense it is like the Galloway walk/run method.

Imminent Catastrophe

I am not one to follow a training plan. I tried, it never works...
        I'm with you there. A formal, rigid training plan won't work for me either, due to my work schedule and my personality Wink What I've done is study a lot of training plans and take the basic principles to design my own flexible plan. Most plans boil down to the same thing...Mostly long, slow (aerobic) runs, some tempo/speed work (tempo, fartleks, cruise intervals, or the like), possibly some hill work depending on the race you're doing. The most important factor, IMHO, is CONSISTENCY. Running 5/6 days per week really has made the difference for me and will help to ensure that the second most important factor, WEEKLY MILEAGE, is met. So I set a weekly goal, instead of a daily plan, of total mileage, long run, and any harder workouts such as hills or speedwork. Instead of having to do my long run on Sunday, or a speed workout on Wednesday, I can make it fit my schedule. I don't think that my body really cares whether I do the long run on one day or the other. I also think you are onto something with your training plan, it follows the basic principle of getting a good solid base with slow, aerobic training, then adding faster workouts as you approach your race. As far as your race strategy goes, you might try it out on shorter races, like HMs, 15ks, or the like, leading up to your goal race, to see how it works for you, but you must have the discipline to stick to your plan and not get caught up in the excitement of the race. Treat it like a training run, but you get a cool T-shirt and have people handing you water or gatorade along the course! Just keep in mind, this is advice from someone who hasn't yet BQ'ed Sad But I got close...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Carl A

Michelle, Your general idea of training to build endurance before working on speed is, I think, a good one. I have also used the perfessorR's idea of weekly mileage goals, which allows for more flexibility for us family folks. The problem I had was the Sunday-night pressure that resulted when circumstances prevented much running during the week. With three boys in scouts, basketball, piano, and just finished with soccer, I've been getting better at working in a run during my weekdays. Right now, I'm trying to get in 8-10 miles each workday, during scheduled breaks. However, today's office lunch made this a carb-loading, rather than much of a running, day. Finally, although I think that running different paces during the marathon itself might not give you the best possible time, if you think it will work for you, you should give it a try and then let us know!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Thanks Stephen, Russ & Carl, Smile I truly appreciate your thoughts! Again, I am horrible with a plan, but my "plan" is to increase a mile per week till I get to 26. During the week I'll make sure to do mostly easy runs, but add in a 6.2 mile tempo run once a week (to work on my 10k) and then at least one run that includes a medium paced portion of my longer runs. I will increase on Sundays when it most allows for time away from the family without having to force me to run on the treadmill. I figure that I'll add in a speed workout here and there too. Hills are another challenge for me. I have an ideal hilly course (my usual 5k course) and I need to get out there and run it more often. Improving with that will work wonders (I think).

Michelle

I have also used the perfessorR's idea of weekly mileage goals, which allows for more flexibility for us family folks.
              I find that I get frustrated when I can't get my mileage in on the days I figured I would. My house is always hectic with three teenagers and a 1st grader. In the mornings I can't rely on the kids enough to get themselves up. My husband leaves at 6:00 a.m., and the older kids need to get up between 6 and 6:30...out the door by 7:00 and 7:20. So I really need to be done running by 6:30 at the latest. On days when any of them oversleep it's a nightmare since we have only one shower - and THEN often I end up driving at least one of them to school. I joked with a friend of mine that this working 35 hours a week thing is really getting in the way of my running. If I didn't have to constantly watch the clock and be at work by 9:00 each day I could just run after taking my youngest son to school. Roll eyes But since I don't get paid to run, I don't think my husband would understand if I decided to stay home instead. Big grin

Michelle

But since I don't get paid to run, I don't think my husband would understand if I decided to stay home instead.
                Hehe, agreed! (but wouldn't it be nice if Under Armour decided to sponser a middle of the pack runner? Wink) As for training plans: I enjoy following them, but I can see what others might not. IMO, the what's important is: getting in 'enough' miles, getting in your long run weekly, and getting in some speedwork. Someone on RA said this to me a while ago, and I think it's true: the major plans are very, very similar.
                2009: BQ?
                mikeymike

Any suggestions?
                  Not sure what I'm doing here. I have enough group(s) in my life already; one. But somehow I wandered in here and found your question, Michelle, so I figured I'd chime in. I'm with you on not liking formal training plans. Some people need them as motivation and that's cool but to me it's more important to have the flexibility to change things on the fly to fit my training into my life and not the other way around. Like Prof, I tend to have a weekly mileage goal and I also have an idea what I want my long run and mid-week mid-long run to be and what general kind of workout I want to do--but I reserve the right to make changes right up to and including the moment when I'm 4 miles into the run. I may be alone in this but I find that a long, easy paced run is mentally a lot more difficult than if I incorporate some speed, and most of the time I feel like a run like that is an opportunity lost. Often it is as simple as just picking it up to near MP for the last 4 miles or so, but it's really, really rare that I go out and do a whole 2 hour+ run at a consistent, easy pace. I'm not really sure there's a lot of value in doing that unless you're running a certain distance for the first time and just want to make sure you can. But you've run a marathon so this is not an issue. To me I have to really work to fit 2 hour runs into my schedule so I want to make them count. Next, I don't think alternating 5ks at 8 pace and 9 pace is a good race strategy at all (it's probably a great workout for one of your long runs though.) You'd use fuel really inefficiently that way. It's a good strategy to start slow and pick it up late, but the change in pace in a race cannot be as dramatic as going from 9 pace to 8 pace. I think the best way to think about the marathon is as a 20 mile warmup and a 10k race. I've still never completely carried out this strategy but at least trying to do so has helped me. And there's always next time. I'll second Prof's suggestion to run a lot of races at 15k and up but I would say go ahead and race them, don't treat them like training runs or MP runs, unless you're within 3 weeks of your goal marathon. Just race them. The best way to get good at racing is to race. I find that races in the HM to 20 mile range are the absolute best training runs you can do, and also are really good practice. I plan to include a 16 miler, 30k, HM and 20-miler in my Boston build up. I'll race them all except maybe the 16 miler because it comes so early in the year (January) that I'll probably be just building up mileage at that point, plus it's likely to be cold as hell in Derry, NH on January 28th. You race some harder thhan others but a race is a race, not a training run. I don't think 3:45 is out of line at all for you. The last thing I'll add is that to run a BQ marathon you don't need much if any speed work at all. I'll have long stretches, weeks at a time, when I'll barely crack MP pace except for the occiasional strides. Even when I do run fast, it's never as fast at the McMillan calculator or other such message-board-dogma says I should be training. I may do a workout of 5 x 1000m that's supposed to be at 5k pace and the 1000s wind up at 6:05 pace, then I'll show up at a 5k race and run 5:45's. Train slow, race fast. That works for me. I think it's really important to give yourself a wide range when it comes to target training paces, and adjust based on how you feel that day. Trying to hit some pace for a workout because the book or schedule says you should is a great way to get burned out, injured or generally make running un-fun.

Runners run

of either splitting the race into two and running two different paces, or doing an every other 5k distance paces (say 9 min miles and then 8 min miles).
                    This is JMO, but going from a 9 min mile to an 8 min mile late in the marathon will be, at best, very difficult, and at worst, impossible.
                    2009: BQ?
                      This is JMO, but going from a 9 min mile to an 8 min mile late in the marathon will be, at best, very difficult, and at worst, impossible.
                      I was thinking that very same thing. This is what happens when I'm running, I try to come up with some creative plan to improve my marathon time but when it comes down to race day I'll just get out there and run, totally ignoring any consideration of a plan. Roll eyes

Michelle

Smile

Michelle

Not sure what I'm doing here. I have enough group(s) in my life already; one. But somehow I wandered in here and found your question, Michelle, so I figured I'd chime in.
                          Thanks Mike, I appreciate this. I'm a slow learner with running. I'm eager to get out there but am finding out that my schedule isn't as running friendly as I need it to be. At this point I have realized that what I need most is more mileage. I am running my next marathon with Pam and will hope to keep up with her enough to at least keep her within sight the whole race. I'm not sure what the odds of that are but I'm going to give it my best try. Until then, I keep on increasing with my weekly long runs and not worry so much about my tempo runs. Now that my treadmill has died I'll be running outside all the time and I have a feeling this is going to help more than I had imagined it would. Just in the past week or so I've noticed that my per mile time dipped down a little as my muscles are getting used to runnig outside.

Michelle