Road to Hopkinton

Why run Boston? (Read 271 times)

Carl A

On my coffee break, I'm sitting here thinking about something for which I don't have a definite personal answer. So, I'll ask each of you: Why do you want to qualify for and run Boston? - Bragging rights? - "Because," like Mallory said, "it is there"? - Want to hear the cheering at Wellesley College? - For the jacket? - It's the public pinnacle of distance running? - Other reasons?

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

huskydon

Hi, I would like to qualify for Boston. The running at Boston would be icing on the cake. It would be a challenge, and conquering that challenge would mean a lot to me. (you can look at my log, I figure I need to cut 20-30 sec/ mile at least). I consider myself a serious runnier and to qualify would affirm (mostly to myself) that I have some skill at running. It would also mean much to me, as I was not athletic in my younger years. huskydon
      jpnairn

straw man

Here are a few things: To some people, mostly non-marathoners, Boston is THE marathon, and none of your other marathons mean anything to these people. To feel yourself become part of the history and tradition of the Boston marathon. Qualifying says something about you. It is a beautiful marathon course through picturesque, historic communities. The community is really into the race. The crowds, and the people on the street before and after the race, and the people you run with, and the volunteers, are tremendous.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

Carl A

Those are great reasons, and just what I needed to keep my long-term goals in focus. Thanks, both of you.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.