Road to Hopkinton

Boston 2009 (Read 589 times)

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I'm running the First Light Mobile Marathon in January (and possibly the Austin Marathon in February, if my husband decides to race), hoping to qualify for Boston 2009. I'll need to finish in under 3:40:59. The Macmillan pace calculator (based on recent 5Ks (inaccurate, I know) - I've been avoiding longer races lately to get my training in), claims that I should expect to finish in 3:43, so I have some work ahead of me. I think I can do it by a hair, if I work my butt off, work out smartly, then get a good race day. I'm following Hal Higdon's advanced intermediate training program, except that I've started doing speedwork with a local running club on Tuesdays. This would be a 45 minute improvement over my last marathon time (October 29, 2006) of 4:14. Anyone else looking for Boston '09?
    btb1490

Erica, if you snoop around in some of the other threads here, I think you'll find at least a few people looking to qualify for 2009. Even if you miss you goal in January, that still leaves you with plenty of time for another shot later in the year. Just keep plugging and putting in the miles, you'll get there!
        Erica, if you snoop around in some of the other threads here, I think you'll find at least a few people looking to qualify for 2009. Even if you miss you goal in January, that still leaves you with plenty of time for another shot later in the year. Just keep plugging and putting in the miles, you'll get there!
        *raises hand* I think I'm going to try. I'm not 100% sure yet though. Smile

Michelle

btb1490

*raises hand* I think I'm going to try. I'm not 100% sure yet though. Smile
          Maybe I need to post some pictures of canolli's from Mike's Pastry to help you make up your mind! Wink Michelle, with your speed at shorter distances, if you work on your endurance to go along with that, I think you, along with Pam, are both shoe ins to qualify.
            Maybe I need to post some pictures of canolli's from Mike's Pastry to help you make up your mind! Wink Michelle, with your speed at shorter distances, if you work on your endurance to go along with that, I think you, along with Pam, are both shoe ins to qualify.
            I'm at a confusing stage of training. I am desperate for my 5k goal and yet I want to venture into longer distances. I'll figure it out.

Michelle

btb1490

I'm at a confusing stage of training. I am desperate for my 5k goal and yet I want to venture into longer distances. I'll figure it out.
              Here's some food (canolli's!) for thought... Yes, the training to excel at 5k's is a lot different than the training to excel at the marathon. But, few people while training for 5k's will improve their marathon time in the process. But many people often improve their 5k times while training for the marathon. Granted, you won't improve your 5k time as much while training for a marathon as you would if you were training specifically for a 5k, but why not go for the marathon and see what your 5k times do along the way. Have your cake ( or canolli ) and eat it too!
                Here's some food (canolli's!) for thought... Yes, the training to excel at 5k's is a lot different than the training to excel at the marathon. But, few people while training for 5k's will improve their marathon time in the process. But many people often improve their 5k times while training for the marathon. Granted, you won't improve your 5k time as much while training for a marathon as you would if you were training specifically for a 5k, but why not go for the marathon and see what your 5k times do along the way. Have your cake ( or canolli ) and eat it too!
                DITTO!!! Oh and thanks for the vote of confidance Bob!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thank you Bob. Those are all very good points! And you just have to keep mentioning sweets don't you?!? Big grin What I think that I need to do is get my 21 minute 5k goal, after all, it shouldn't be this difficult! Once I do that I'll feel a lot better and I'll be able to then focus on building up my mileage. I just feel like I'm cheating myself until I reach my original goal and I keep getting off track making this take too long.

Michelle

btb1490

Thank you Bob. Those are all very good points! And you just have to keep mentioning sweets don't you?!? Big grin What I think that I need to do is get my 21 minute 5k goal, after all, it shouldn't be this difficult! Once I do that I'll feel a lot better and I'll be able to then focus on building up my mileage. I just feel like I'm cheating myself until I reach my original goal and I keep getting off track making this take too long.
                    Good luck with your goal, I hope you get it soon! A lot of people successfully do what you are doing, which is start out with shorter distances and work your way up. It's a good plan. I mentioned a book to a person in another thread... "Road Racing for Serious Runners" by Pete Pfitzinger. It covers what you need to know about training for races from the 5k up to the marathon. A lot of good stuff is in there.
                      Good luck with your goal, I hope you get it soon! A lot of people successfully do what you are doing, which is start out with shorter distances and work your way up. It's a good plan. I mentioned a book to a person in another thread... "Road Racing for Serious Runners" by Pete Pfitzinger. It covers what you need to know about training for races from the 5k up to the marathon. A lot of good stuff is in there.
                      At least I have an idea of what some other distances are like. This year I ran a 10 miler, a HM and a Marathon. I still have yet to do an 8k or a 10K. I will have to check out that book. I've been reading the Complete Book for Runners, but I'd like to focus more on the road races. Thanks again! Smile

Michelle

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Wait, are you guys talking about Mike's Pastry in the North End? I love that place!
                        btb1490

Wait, are you guys talking about Mike's Pastry in the North End?
                          Aha! And how do you know about Mike's Pastry on the North End???? Wink Busted! So what's your take on that place?
                          seeEricaRun

Awesome

Aha! And how do you know about Mike's Pastry on the North End???? Wink Busted! So what's your take on that place?
                            Funny story - we had a fairly severe house fire last month (four days after we bought the house), and we spent a few nights in the Marriott Long Wharf, eating out in the North End. This is actually also why my September mileage is so low - er, not because of eating in the North End, though that would actually make sense. We had to bop around from hotel to hotel for several weeks, and run constant errands. Yummy.
                            btb1490

Funny story - we had a fairly severe house fire last month (four days after we bought the house), and we spent a few nights in the Marriott Long Wharf, eating out in the North End. This is actually also why my September mileage is so low - er, not because of eating in the North End, though that is certainly a possible scenario. We bopped around from hotel to hotel for several weeks. Yummy.
                              Where's the funny part? Geez, that's awful! But I guess if you are gonna be stuck anywhere, it might as well be the North End, especially if you are a runner! Are you back in your house again hopefully?
                              seeEricaRun

Awesome

Where's the funny part? Geez, that's awful! But I guess if you are gonna be stuck anywhere, it might as well be the North End, especially if you are a runner! Are you back in your house again hopefully?
                                Not yet - in fact, the contractors haven't even started. The estimated finish date is six weeks from whenever they get around to showing up. I'm in an apartment in Arlington now, which I don't want to leave!