UK Ultra Runners

Thames Trot 5th Feb 2011 (Read 2579 times)

I purposely done 24milers the last 2 weeks on flat routes, one of which was along the Thames Path just to get the legs

used to this and i have to say i really felt it in my hip flexors and quads, In truth my legs felt more achey and sore than

from the Downland 30miler. So this is a bit of a worry, but something i am sure my body will adapt too after a few more

20 to 30milers on flat routes.

Food for thought for those mad enough to be doing the GUCR (you know who you are!!!!)

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

A very good idea as I remember my legs aching after C2C as I prepared for the Crawley track run. I will definitely be going to the track more often now just to get some work done on my IT Band and quads as you say.

You can guess from my plans now I am vectoring in the Moonlight Challenge and the 12 hour track for those very reasons.....very flat, although I dread the turn around at 6 hours.

I was thinking there must be a technique we/I can introduce that involves different speed/stride apart from the run/walk strategy that will allow for a break in stride and cadence...I shall have to ponder on this

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Personally from a training point of view I don't have issue with flat.

Essex is just like this where I am Big grin

Yes, I was wondering if you had got over the altitude sickness yet after going above 400 feet last Sunday Wink

Jerry

ha ha

I think for Thames I will keep food / drinks minimal. So a waistpack with 2-3 9bars will be sufficient along with 500ml bottle.

Checkpoints are not to far apart so this should be more than enough.

Although I am getting a new micro 5L pack for christmas so that could get a run out.

How is everyone only a few weeks to go now?

Jerry

How is everyone only a few weeks to go now?

Hi Jerry - Yes, pretty good. 10milers the last 3 days, including 3.2miles of hill sprints and jog back recoveries on Tuesday (felt a bit

queasy on the last one - too much food in belly - haha). Looking forward to Thames Trot and catching up with you, would like to discuss

my April plan in more detail with you and see if you can assist in hopefully some large role to fill the gap left by Bobban on the running side of

things (i hope Bobban can still be my organiser/logistics/support crew just to keep him busy Smile).

Not sure what, if any plan i have on this race, would be nice to have a bit of a blast as i think i am in pretty good shape (recent surprise Mara

time confirms this), but am mindful that i need to get some big time on feet runs under my belt (as do you sir) but may do the Wiggle 12hr Lightning Run in March for that.

How about you, and has the snow now cleared where you are?

PB's

Yes, busy, busy mileage took a big hit this month what with the snow and festivities although we/I have been undertaking some real quality runs. What with Gatliff 50km last month and Winter Tanners 50km next week.

This week I did a 14 miler on Monday, same again on Tuesday and then tonight a tempo run of 10km which I was very happy with as I ran at 7.29 min/mile pace which was great especially after the earlier week's runs

There will be a sharp increase in weekly mileage over the next 4 weeks in time for TT50, God knows what time we are planning but it will certainly be a good practice for the GUCR, get pacing set and train the legs for flat running.

Injury-wise I have a problem with my left buttock that is affecting my IT Band and upper section of the quad but I am trying to stretch it out may go to see a sports physio soon  though.

Certainly interested in your endeavours so keep me informed

Jerry

Sounds like everyones plans coming together nicely

Unfortunately I have had to defer entry this year to TT50. Training has been inconsistent and having suffered with flu this past week I am in poor shape to run well so it's better to pull out. I cannot get to Winter Tanners either due to a family birthday on the same day so I am feeling pretty disappointed about this.

Still, I have the bigger picture to consider for BGR attempt in June so plenty of running to be done. If I can fit in any events it will most likely be a hilly one Smile

Purdey

Self anointed title

I think that I will be pulling out of this too.  Haven't run for months.

I think that I will be pulling out of this too.  Haven't run for months.

How is that knee of yours, I have been meaning to get an update?

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

How is that knee of yours, I have been meaning to get an update?

Knee is still weak. Went for my first run in months this morning and it didn't hurt, just felt weak. I am pretty certain that I'm not going to be running a 50 miler in 4 weeks!

That is both good and bad news.

Good that you are back running, bad you won't be running the challenge to clarify Big grin

Jerry

Not long to go now for this event. As I have bigger palns in April I will probably not be tapering for this, in that i will have the next

2 weeks at full weekly mileage and then probably Tues 6mi, Weds 4to6miles and then 2 days off before the run. Should ensure

i am running on slightly less than optimal legs (as per normal then!), and might be a good idea not to go for anything other than

a finish rather than push hard for a sub 8.30 poss sub 8 and risk getting a niggle or not be in optimal shape for the April challenge

in the process.

Any ideas on what the terrain is for this i heard approx 15miles hard pack/tarmac path and 35miles grass/fields/tracks on the

runnersworld thread, but if anyone has done it or trains on it would appreciate a heads up.

PB's

Dave

I saw on Lee Chamberlain's blog that it is a bit rough under foot in places which he puts down to his knee injury.

My training has been a little hectic of late and I am very tired of late but my fitness is really good, in fact the best it has been for a little while. This week will be another 55 miler including a back to back on Sat/Sun. As by luck design I have a Cycle Down week next week to give my legs a rest and then on the week of the run a 10 mile easy run on Tuesday and then rest up to do the 50 miles.

Tapering is not an option for me at the moment but I am using the Cycle Down weeks wisely

Jerry