UK Ultra Runners

It's getting exciting (Read 419 times)

Just got the first newsletter through from Extreme Running about the London to Brighton, it has been confirmed as 20th September 2009 and won't be starting from Greenwich Park this year Cry I was looking forward to that as we have been taking training runs to and fron the Park of late, a kind of Mecca but it will be interesting to see where it will start, I am sure time will tell I am still amazed by the sheer amount of calories that are expected to be used, they state 8000 + normal metabolic requirements, that just makes the sums bigger.Big grin

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

Depends on the person - obviously - but I would estimate 5500 calories (incl metabolic rate). I reckon on using approx 100 KCal/mile. Don't worry too much about trying to match calorie expenditure with intake, but do try to take on board 30g of carbs each hour. I was chatting to a Lucozade rep at my last race about gels for ultras - he reckoned that the body can absorb about 30g/hr of carbs. Depending on what gel you use this should be 2 or 3 an hour. I would supplement this with a few bananas etc and, of course, electrolyte balanced fluid. I will be using Nuun for the 12hr race - and will probably aim for 500 - 700ml/hr. I will also have a few cups of tea. Smile

Hi Tom I was doing some calulations and I reckoned that the estimate seems very high but I suppose they are saying this because of the nature of the run being on trail and downs. I was looking at approximately 6000 calories as well. Funny thing is I was thinking about a cup of tea as well for a nice change.....no benefits apart from being nice and warm and sweetTongue Things that are floating to the top of the list are mini Mars bars, bananas and for some reason I seem to have the idea on Marmite sandwiches. The latter maybe because of the strong taste and the saltiness. I have realised recently that when we are trailing it we are eating and drinking very bland flavoured food stuffs and even the mars bar tasted gorgeousConfused I was chatting to a colleague on the train this morning and he has noticed that my whole mindset has shifted on this challenge from just running to planning. Organising family and friends to be at checkpoints, food, equipment and logisitics.

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily