UK Ultra Runners

Stour Valley 100k (Read 527 times)

I need to run an idea past you guys.

For various personal reasons my race diary is being blown to hell and I need to find an ultra in June. I don't want to travel massive distance though. Not to say that I wont travel but I'd rather not stay overnight somewhere.

So I've been trawling the interweb looking for alternative races to do and I'm coming up short.

Then is occurred to me that what I really want is an ultra but based on a route I want to run and in a place I want to run it. So I'm thinking of inventing my own event. Nothing formal or official but I reckon I know an excellent candidate route and I've figured out the logistics as well.

Here's the route: Stour Valley Path

It's 100 kms long, starts in Newmarket and end up a place called Cattawade which is on the coast in Suffolk. The route is along a river pretty much the whole way and looks fabulous.

Unless someone can be found to drop off and pick up then I'd plan to park at the finish and then get a train to the start which would take about an 1 hour and 15 mins.

The route itself is an LDWA walk so it's documented and well known.

Is this a daft idea? Do you reckon anyone could be found to share the madness? (I'd rather run it with someone if possible) All comments welcomed.

Matt, I haven't ignored this, just researching and see what problems there may be.....tough little number either way

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

Matt, I haven't ignored this, just researching and see what problems there may be.....tough little number either way

+1

Tough run.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Thoughts:

1. The  event would have to be staged on a Saturday to ensure that the trains are actually running
          2. We'd all travel on the same train which would be a great time to meet people and ponder the day ahead
          3. Cost of entry is the cost of the parking and train ticket
          4. Would have to ensure there are places on the route to replenish stocks (of water mainly)

The route itself goes through Constable country and should be utterly fabulous to run through.

I've yet to come across a good reason why it wouldn't make a good day out for some like-minded ultrarunners.

I'm getting rather keen on the idea....

Purdey

Self anointed title

Any thoughts on using cars instead of trains?

IE - meet at finish, transfer to one car, drive to start, run ridiculously long way to finish, somebody ferry back to their car at start, travel home.

It's an excellent option. If someone were passing the start on their way home it makes total sense.

Train travel is optional then.

100km through fabulous countryside sounds awesome.

Facebook group created to gauge some interest: Stour Valley Ultra
                  Website created: Stour Valley Ultra

Going to put all my ideas about the route in there.

Well guys, this challenge is becoming a reality. It's now called the Stour Valley 100k and it's going to be on the 27th June. Myself and a friend are going to be doing it, I'm running, he's mountain biking. I've also got some people from my running club coming along to support us.

I've started training runs on the course so the route will be well understood before the day it's and we're working on a full set of maps. It's not a difficult path to follow though as it's marked along it's whole length.

It's going to be a hell of a challenge and I'm really excited about it.

If anyone wants to take part in the organisation, planning or taking part then let me know.

I am very tempted but am hanging off a decision as by leg is still playing up and this will be a BIG call

Jerry

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

it does sound like a fantastic idea but I am on a training plan for the ridgeway and I have now decided that no more than 30ish miles as per the plan until the summer.

As a mere ultra-mortal, one step at a time for me. If I have an injury free summer/autumn then I would like this for next year.

http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/
                          I am very tempted but am hanging off a decision as by leg is still playing up and this will be a BIG call

It's going to be tough going that's for sure.

I'm targeting 11 hours for the distance and I reckon my mate who's doing it with me on a mountain bike is going to find it harder going than me. Smile

MattHearne

I'm sure most of you know already, but I am pushing ahead to make this race a reality. Check out the website www.svp100.co.uk for further details. There are 41 people currently signed up (still 149 days until the race), so it should be an enjoyable event.

MattHearne

By the way, the race is called the 'Stour Valley Path 100km Ultra Run' or simply 'SVP100'

Thanks Matt, I know there has been some chatter about this with a few of the regulars on Facebook and Twitter recently. I think a lot of people are a bit nervous about the cut off but should be doable

Jerry