Barefoot Runners

Introductions (Read 1533 times)

I ran 30 barefoot minutes last night on a treadmill, set at 10 minutes per mile. That is the farthest/longest I have gone. Previously I did 10 minutes (1 mile) Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The balls of both feet feel as if blisters are forming, but no visual evidence appears. My plan is to run outside (40 to 120 minutes) in Asics 2120 trail sneakers four days a week, and barefoot run 10 to 30 minutes three days a week. Good running all
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

In order to start though, will I benefit from switching from a heel strike to a midfoot strike running technique with my current running shoes? Are there any good books or guides out there on running technique? Does Chi Running apply?
      I have read the Chi Running book, I found it a useful start. But I never really "got" it until I tried it without shoes.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I am fortunate to live near the beach so I can also try some soft sand running to see if that helps.
        Actually, I don't think beach running is especially helpful. Running on soft sand is very unlike running on any solid surface, so you don't learn much. But if there's a boardwalk or other smooth but hard pathway near the beach, that could be an excellent place to start.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Wasatch Speedgoat

Thanks for starting this group, Ed.... Big grin I have been running in big clunky shoes for over 30 years and just recently started to work my way down to lesser shoe and also have started ChiRunning (also started a Chirunning group). I have moved from the Asics 2000 series training shoes, that I've been wearing for as long as i can remember to now the Mizuno Elixirs because they are a light trainer with a lower heel. I ran in the Asics the other day and I could not get the midfoot strike that I have learned to prefer because the heel is just too thick! My next shoes will be the Mizuno Ronan racing flats and possible the Nike Free's in the Spring. I'm not sure I'd ever go barefoot, but will get close, maybe as far down as vibrams or aqua socks. Steve

Life is short, play hard!

I've been impressed with Ed's story, too, and am glad this group was created. My Vibram KSO's just arrived (first pair wasn't good sizing) and I'm hoping to improve my gait and keep injuries at bay. I've got a few questions, but will put them in a fresh post so it's easy to track...

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

This group caught my interest since this is my first year running and I have struggled with knee and hip pain. I haven't run barefoot yet, and probably won't be starting real soon since winter just hit here and I hate cold. Maybe if I end up on the treadmill this winter I will try it there first. I do have one question though. Many years ago I tried wearing toe socks and didn't like them at all. I think that the extra fabric between my toes put them in an un-natural position and made walking uncomfortable. Has anyone experienced this with the fivefingers?
              Rudolf

I do have one question though. Many years ago I tried wearing toe socks and didn't like them at all. I think that the extra fabric between my toes put them in an un-natural position and made walking uncomfortable. Has anyone experienced this with the fivefingers?
                No, actualy I think it forces the toes to be natural. for the first few times in 5F, my little toes on both feet just could not fit in and I was very nervous from their position. I realize that I am used to curl them up and under the next toe, perhaps running walking like this all my life (maybe here the problems for decades ?) It was mental game to resist and stay in 5F, and get use to it, still when putting 5F on it is a struggle to straighten up the little toes and fit them in, but running is than perfect. As for the socks, here in aussieland, in chinese shops the toe socks are available for $2, these are kinda funky novelty ladies socks in funny stripes and colours and not suitable for long runs-ultras etc, but I run in these sock and 5F on the mountain trail race, about 11kms up hill, and after I did run down to get the car so altogether about 22kms and 4 hours (I was controling my MAF HR so taking it very slowly) and there was no problem with these socks in 5F. Runners using regular heavy shoes in ultras or road marathons wear injinji socks just for the reason to prevent blisters and all are happy so nobody seems to have issue with separating toes.

I have a friend who wears the injinji socks, he says that they are fine except if he wears some specific shoes where they already have a narrow toe box, since with the injinji socks it pushes his toes apart enough to make it a too tight fit and he gets blisters from that. Most of his shoes, though, the socks are fine.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I'm one of those 'adult onset runners'. I'm running for two years now, and have been injury-free until now. A few weeks ago, dh (who's father is a shoemaker that made orthotics his whole life...) told me he heard somewhere, that a great part of foot-, knee- and hipproblems are due to wearing shoes, and that people who never wear shoes have much less orthopedic problems. He couldn't believe that article (after all his father made a living out of making shoes that should correct/prevent orthopedic problems). Knowing next to nothing about barefoot running, I replied that I could immediately believe the article. After all, nobody is born with shoes on his feet, and only a very small part of mankind has been wearing shoes, and only during the last few millenia or even shorter. I find it completely normal, that wearing shoes actually weakens the feet, the muscles, since part of those muscles in your feet don't have to work or aren't able to work properly when confined in shoes. So, to the defense of barefoot-running, but without any experience. As in America, here in Belgium winter is coming closer, so I don't think I will try to run barefoot in the next few months. But I'd like to inform myself in the next time (and search for a place where I can find those Lizards... Those Vibram-things seem only to be sold by 'Bever-zwerfsport' in Belgium/the Netherlands, but they only seem to cary sizes in the larger range (don't woman run barefoot?)

Running in Belgium
                    Ann

Half Fanatic #846

I became interested in BF running after developing plantar's faciitis Sad in August. I'm not running right now, but definitely plan to return to BF in the next few weeks. There's a nice local double track (grass & dirt) 20K nearby each fall that will be perfect for a barefoot race, and gives me time to prepare for. However, I was able to start BF with short comfortable distances on the treadmill (man, it felt good to do that! Big grin) and some walking BF outside on various surfaces - dirt, gravel, and asphalt all near my house. I was using this as a supplement to "shod" running , going a max of 4 mi on the TM and 2 mi outside before deciding to give my PF a rest for a few weeks. I got a little black stuff on the bottoms of my feet, but not much (tire particles from asphalt and TM belt residue) - it washes off easily. Had no problem with glass - most of it is lying flat anyway, but rocks do hurt! If I can see where I'm going, I'm okay. I've heard you get used to stepping on rocks you don't notice and it just hurts for a millisecond anyway! It will be interesting to see the progress we make in BF running and how we apply it to our individual goals.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Going to jump on board! starting to pick up some injuries and fed up with shoe manufacturers changing there specification just when you think you have found a decent shoe. Will check in soon with my first impressions.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Queen of 3rd Place

I've been thinking about decreasing my dependency on shoes for about a year...have mild PF in the am off and on...the recent discussions about PF tipped the scale, finally yesterday I picked up some racing flats yesterday (Saucony Kilkenny XC2, which were the flattest of the flats) which I'm going to try out today. Any thoughts about going with flats as a transition? I was a little nervous about going straight to FF or BF. Arla

Ex runner

C-R

I run in these as well and love the Kilkenny's. I would say go slow to get accustomed to flats. I kept initial runs to 5k or less and started with 2 per week and built up from there. Doing the same with my 5F and it seems to work. You will find your feet and ankles get stronger and running is more fun. This from a chronic Achilles Tendonitis type. Haven't had issues since last December - about the time I started switching to flats. Good luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mummydust

Happy to find this group. My PF has been under control for four years, but I feel like I am wearing heavy casts on my feet with the custom orthodics and stability shoes. I never walk anywhere without my orthodics or cork sandals. I am sure that parts of my feet have atrophied even as I have run about 120 miles per month and done 11 marathons in 2008. After 12 years of running and 11,000 miles I finally ran barefoot for the first time. I was so worried about how it would feel but so glad that I did it. I have run for just a few minutes BF after a regular easy run once each week for the past four weeks and have built up to a whole half mile now. Plan to continue to build very slowly. I am running on lush grass soccer field and it feels great. As soon as I get to the asphalt I can barely walk though. I am looking for something intermediate like a dirt road. So far so good.
                              Rudolf

I use the sharp knife and performed shoe surgery, changed Nike frees 5.0 into 1.0 or perhaps lower ? simply cut off everything from the bottom between the deep grooves, so left only about 1 mm of material. I still left the front part of the sole so it feels like sprinting spikes and will use it like this - negastive heel for a while before cutting the fron away as well. they are now incredibly light. I do not understand why they cant cut it out in factury during manufacturing and only make those grooves for people to cut it at home Big grin