Barefoot Runners

Giving it a try (Read 682 times)

Hi all,

I'm going to give barefooting a try.  I've had a history of back and neck problems.  I figure it can't hurt (or maybe it can) to try barefoot for a while.  I've gone on the treadmill a couple times in the last couple days.  1 mile each time.  Its interesting, 4mph which would be a brisk walk is the pace I'm starting out at.  I'm just looking for a way that I can continue to run....maybe this is it, maybe it isn't, but there is only one way to find out.  

If you know of anyone who has had back issues with herniated discs etc and runs barefoot with success, I'd love to hear about it.

Slosh

Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Got some good stares today....

Went out for a walk at lunch because it was so nice - 70 degs and sunny.  Didn't have my running stuff, so I was wearing shoes, slacks and dress shirt.

After 1/2 mile, was in a back neighborhood so I took off the shoes and jogged.  Met up up with a schoolbus letting off kindergarteners...  One kid was dumbfounded.  He just stood there staring at me as I went by.  His dad was smirking too.  So I held up one of the dress shoes and said....don't want to wear these babies out. 

Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Imminent Catastrophe

I can only give you an anecdote. I herniated a disk L3/L4 many years ago and I used to have a lot of back soreness for a couple days after a long run (18+) but since I've converted from heel-striker to mid/forefoot striker, I don't get that any more. I really think there's a lot less shock (and therefore less spinal compression) when running this way.

So for me, it's not so much being barefoot but more about heel striking vs. forefoot. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I've had a bulging disc L5 S1 and I am interested in converting to a midfoot strike.  I have a pair of Vibram KSO and those might get you less stares, but total barefoot is definitely cheaper.  If you are really serious about barefoot, I encourage you to join the Running Barefoot group on Yahoo Groups http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/RunningBarefoot/

They know their stuff when it comes to barefoot running and it is a great group for support on how to handle the stares and comments you will get.  I've also ordered another pair of Vibram KSO Trek which are supposed to be better for trail running.  Whatever you can do to lessen the impact seems to be the key for disc problems.  Also, consider trying McKenzie exercises.  If it wasn't for doing these, I wouldn't be running right now.  More info on my blog http://ilove2runraces.blogspot.com/

Andy

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

Professional Antagonist

I second the Yahoo Group.  The format is a little difficult to follow, but Ken Bob and the rest of that gang are truly experts.  I teach what is essentially the same methods... drop me an email if you ever have specific questions.

barefootchronicles "at" gmail "dot" com

Barefoot Running University- Jason's barefoot running site

I can only give you an anecdote. I herniated a disk L3/L4 many years ago and I used to have a lot of back soreness for a couple days after a long run (18+) but since I've converted from heel-striker to mid/forefoot striker, I don't get that any more. I really think there's a lot less shock (and therefore less spinal compression) when running this way.

So for me, it's not so much being barefoot but more about heel striking vs. forefoot. 

Interesting....I've tried changing footstrike in the past and had difficulty maintaining it.  I've found thus far when barefoot, it comes naturally.  I don't tend to revert back to heelstrike because I seems to know subconciously that its going to hurt if I do that.  I say thus far, because its only been a week that I have been experimenting with this, so I can't exactly draw any conclusions. 

Andy, thanks for the McKenzie reminder.  I have that book, I think I'll did it back out and see if I can ease into some of that.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I've tried changing footstrike in the past and had difficulty maintaining it.  I've found thus far when barefoot, it comes naturally. 

Bingo.  That is the whole reason this barefoot thing works. 

In principle, you could run flawlessly in shoes.  In practice, that's really hard for most of us to do, because they interfere so much.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Bingo.  That is the whole reason this barefoot thing works. 

In principle, you could run flawlessly in shoes.  In practice, that's really hard for most of us to do, because they interfere so much.

I am a little concerned with what the speed feels like.  So far, I've only gone down to a 10mm pace briefly.  Mainly staying around 12mm.  The 10mm pace feels FAST.  I can't really tell, but I suspect my stride has shortened up considerably. 

Is that normal and will it lengthen out over time, or will I just get used to taking baby steps?

You want your stride to shorten up,  you should be taking about 180 steps per minute regardless of how fast you're going. 

When you go faster, your stride gets longer. When you go slower, your stride gets shorts.  All the while, your legs are turning over at a consistent rate. 

From what I've read of the barefooting you've done, you're just getting going, so if it feels fast, then you're just a bit outside your comfort zone.  Keep on practicing and you will adapt. 

It just takes time and a little effort. 

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

I am a little concerned with what the speed feels like.  So far, I've only gone down to a 10mm pace briefly.  Mainly staying around 12mm.  The 10mm pace feels FAST.  I can't really tell, but I suspect my stride has shortened up considerably. 

Is that normal and will it lengthen out over time, or will I just get used to taking baby steps?

Go on youtube and check out some barefooting videos, Its interesting to see how quick their legs are turning over. I think you have to have a high cadence to keep yourself from landing towards the heel of your foot.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life