Circle North

Help, for a friend (Read 14 times)

L Train

Long time listener here, though I've been largely absent for the better part of a few years.

So a friend of mine has spent the last several months (years?) not exactly being fit.  He's exercised here and there, but not nearly enough and at the same time has ate and/or drank too many calories.  He's gained about 12 pounds and his pants are starting to not fit.  He'd really rather not buy new pants.

This guy is 50ish, and because he's now an old dude research would say that he needs to maintain about 2100 net calories to maintain weight at present levels.  That used to be about 2500 as little as 5-7 years ago but age is a bitch and this part will only get worse I guess.  He also needs to lose that 12 pounds because he doesn't like that feeling of being scared to rip his pants when he bends over.

He used to exercise for maybe 800-1000 calories per day and have 2500 to play with, and was already at OK weight so could consume 3300-3500 calories daily.  But now it's down to maybe 200-300/day exercise and 2100, so that's 2,200-2,300.  Oh yeah and to lose a pound a week it has to be -500 net, so now it's 1600 meaning he has to consume under 2000 calories.

This is partially in jest and this guy is not in horrible shape, but it's really easy to see why so many people have problems.  When you really start looking at it, so many things have to go if you really want to eat food.  Eating out almost anywhere, most non-water liquid, that random leftover slice of pizza his family had.  To commit to that for the long run is really committing to a big lifestyle change for many of us, even us semi-athletes.

So, what should this guy do?

Duh.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Fro

Ha - seems like your friend is missing one here - how about, just eat as much as you want and just wear sweatpants all the time.

Sleep

I find that most adults don't sleep nearly enough and prioritize tv/screen time ahead of sleep and it appears lots of studies show this as a problem.  I never get less than 7 hours a night and that's only 2x per week because of the very early morning class (5am).  Lots of other nights I get 9 hours of sleep consistently.

Eating habits

We have lots of crappy food in the house that I no longer eat.  Chez its, Chips, Nilla Wafers, Ice Cream, etc.  I've stopped eating that stuff over the last few years and my weight is better than it was when I was 25.  Since I work from home, I never go out to lunch, rarely get Dunks/Sbux, and don't have to deal with the office food that many of you do.  Also, I never put sugar in my coffee or drink soda, and that also helps.

Strength Training

This has also really helped me burn more fat and do something else other than running. When I’m running consistently and doing this at the same time my weight usually drops pretty significantly.

Running

For me, I need to make time to run no matter if I am training for something or not.  It's a great outlet for me, a way to get out of the house during the day, and something that has become a habit.  My family likes me better when I'm running (tolerate me better?) and I also find myself alone a lot any way.  Whether my kids are in their rooms, or I am sitting on the couch with my wife who is staring at a device, it seems to me that I would be better served to be in bed or out for a run.  My family seems to come together at dinner time every time night(home or out) and we do a good job of making it a priority to eat together at night when we can (although....fucking soccer). It’s family time everyone enjoys and helps us connect at the end of the day.

Other alternatives

I have a “friend” who eats tons of hemp seeds and washes them down with Kombucha which apparently makes you shit a lot. And that guy is skinny and sickly looking.....and bald.

Ha - seems like your friend is missing one here - how about, just eat as much as you want and just wear sweatpants all the time.

Eat more, exercise less and then skip the pants all together.

Who needs pants? If you get fat enough it will spill over enough to cover your junk anyway.  You're butt crack is another problem though.

What was I chasing again?

I eat a lot.

L Train

Sleep

I find that most adults don't sleep nearly enough and prioritize tv/screen time ahead of sleep and it appears lots of studies show this as a problem.  I never get less than 7 hours a night and that's only 2x per week because of the very early morning class (5am).  Lots of other nights I get 9 hours of sleep consistently.

Eating habits

We have lots of crappy food in the house that I no longer eat.  Chez its, Chips, Nilla Wafers, Ice Cream, etc.  I've stopped eating that stuff over the last few years and my weight is better than it was when I was 25.  Since I work from home, I never go out to lunch, rarely get Dunks/Sbux, and don't have to deal with the office food that many of you do.  Also, I never put sugar in my coffee or drink soda, and that also helps.

Strength Training

This has also really helped me burn more fat and do something else other than running. When I’m running consistently and doing this at the same time my weight usually drops pretty significantly.

Running

For me, I need to make time to run no matter if I am training for something or not.  It's a great outlet for me, a way to get out of the house during the day, and something that has become a habit.  My family likes me better when I'm running (tolerate me better?) and I also find myself alone a lot any way.  Whether my kids are in their rooms, or I am sitting on the couch with my wife who is staring at a device, it seems to me that I would be better served to be in bed or out for a run.  My family seems to come together at dinner time every time night(home or out) and we do a good job of making it a priority to eat together at night when we can (although....fucking soccer). It’s family time everyone enjoys and helps us connect at the end of the day.

Other alternatives

I have a “friend” who eats tons of hemp seeds and washes them down with Kombucha which apparently makes you shit a lot. And that guy is skinny and sickly looking.....and bald.

You considered this your opportunity to write a soliloquy?

L Train

Eat more, exercise less and then skip the pants all together.

Sounds good, let's run together.

We're putting the band back together.

I was trying to be nice and throw you a bone.  What I was thinking, based on this very lame topc, was much different.  Sort like when Johnny Fontane talks to the Don on the day of his daughter's wedding.

You considered this your opportunity to write a soliloquy?

L Train

Are you asking me to sing at your daughter's wedding?

Sounds good, let's run together.

I'll let you set the pace and run slightly behind you and to the side.

What was I chasing again?

gadman

Fat boy Lance in sweat pants on his anniversary. Classy