Diabetic Runners

Mixing it up (Read 369 times)

Joe I really like the plan you picked. I did a similar plan for my first marathon. The hardest part for me was the tapering. Especially the whole week of not running b4 the marathon. I cheated and ran a slow 5k the day b4 as I was going crazy not running at all. By the sound of your posts this part will be hard for you too but believe it or not it works and you will feel very strong on race day. Be sure to follow all the rests your program recommends. I'm jealous as I am not far along yet to even consider a marathon again. Are you trying for a specific time or to finish? Dave
    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
      Dave, From your logs you look to be further along then me. Pace is faster, more experience, running about the same distance. Remember I am targeting Dec of 2007, so more than a year away. I have changed the rest days etc, my long runs are on Sat, not Sundays, I work Sundays, but other than that I am sticking with it I do not know what to expect for a pace then, but I would like to get in 4- 5 hrs. I have no way of gauging if that will be realistic for me or not over 26 miles. I don't think I would be happy with just a finnish, but as we older folks know, time has a way of modifying opinions. The slowest runner last year did it in over 8hrs, that seems too long for me. By spring I should have a better idea of where I am at. Yea, I have seen what this rest week has done. I may have blown it today though with the Racquateball, but at the same time I can't give up on life for this, after all it is supposed to be fun. Like everything else, I'll just press on. Been much cooler this week, just teasing us, I am sure the next few weeks will be hotter than this rest week. Can't count out summer here untill the middle of OCT. Joe
      Age is not an illusion
        Joe Brrrrrrr, fall is in the air here now. Very cool evenings. 55 tonight. Can only run mornings on the weekend because of early start at work.Thanks for the compliments on my training. I am not sure about focusing my training on races yet because some of my doctors don't recommend doing marathons because I did have a stroke 1 year ago (Sept 7) Some docs say ok to running after I passed a stress test with no problems. The doc who doesn't recommend it does not run or understand running or runners at all. Consequently, I am just trying to build a base to maintain my weight loss and my health. However knowing my competitive nature I will probably sign up for some race in 2007. Lots of time though. It usually only takes about 6 months after you have a good weekly base established. Looking at your running logs and your desire for speed I would say a sub 4 hr marathon is a realistic goal. Over 5 hrs would entail a lot of walking.I can't even imagine 8 hrs that would be torture. If you really want to gauge your speed for a marathon (as I mentioned b4) you would be wise to run a Half first. As far a Raquetball goes you have to watch your ankles & knees and don't wear running shoes as they have no side support. A cross training shoe would be better. Running shoes are designed for forward motion only. I used to play both raquetball and squash while running but was cautious not to dive crazily after balls. Sounds like you can look forward to some nice running weather over the next couple of months. I'm already thinking about long underwear here. Big grin Dave
        WHO FARTLEK"D ?