Diabetic Runners

Running with Med tags (Read 368 times)

Mark_C

I am not on any Meds that causes me to produce insulin, nor am I on insulin, so I can't see how it would be possible for me to experience a low BS. The lowest I have seen is 82.
    Actually, without being on medications or insulin, I cannot see how Joe would need an ID to the extent an insulin controlled diabetic would...
      Actually, all runners are advised to run with ID. and by having diabetic info on board (insulin, meds or no meds), EMT personel know how to treat you if you should be involved in an accident and cannot communicate. During the summer we run (no pun intended) a higher risk of heat complications and there are always the possibility of other med emergencies where knowledge of our condition is helpful.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Gregg, I am on Actos only. Actos increases the sensitivity to insulin, but does not cause an increase in the production of insulin, or pervent the liver from producing glucose. By the time most T2 diabetics are diagnosed the pancrease is well on its way to being exhausted and is no longer producing enough insulin, thus the rise in BS. Stress, such as running causes the liver to produce glucose and at the same time causes the pancrease to reduce production of insulin, as the muscles are suppose to be more sensitive to insulin, and so needs less. In T2's this is out of balance, and actualy one should be concerned that the BS might rise. Many T2's are on meds that increase the production of insulin, and I think Metformin, stops the liver from producing Glucose, so T2's on that sort of medication would be wise to watch for going low during stressful situations like running. John you make a valid point, I keep forgetting to take any ID with me when I run, should I get hit by car, have a heat stroke, heart attack, etc. My family would not know about it. A tag on those shoes etc would be a good idea.
        Age is not an illusion