Diabetic Runners

Some of my runs. (Read 871 times)

Got up at my usual 6:00 to eat my oatmeal and then run 45 minutes later. Today though, I felt really sluggish, even before hitting the roads. So today was a slow one. BG at the end was 94 even with a ginger snap half way through the run. Maybe a tad low but okay. I think the problem is I didn't eat enough the past 24 hours. Yesterday we were running around all day doing errands and getting my son's computer repaired and really didn't take the time to eat all that much. So yesterday's run and evening walk, combined with this morning's run may have just sucked the calories out of me. I felt like an old man running today. Wait a minute...I AM an old man running! We can't always blame the diabetes for those occasional tired runs.

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

If you are an old man that make me one too! So far I am only up to 2k running combined with 29k on the bike and my BG is always in the normal range. I suspect that when I increase my distance I will have to check my meter a little more closely.I think in my case I am being overly cautious as I never get wide swings anyway. But I am a control freak. I guess most of my concerns are for the marathon distance. I cannot imagine finishing without carbo loading the night b4 as you have suggested. I don't think I can eat enough during the race to make up for not carbo loading. Oh well, its going to be a long time b4 I will be in that kind of shape again. It takes a long time for an old man to get in that good of shape. lol
      WHO FARTLEK"D ?
        When you speak of carb loading, are you talking about REAL carbo loading when you deprive yourself of carbs for a period of time then load up the night before? The theory is the muscles will then "soak" up the carbs better. If so, I think that theory has faded somewhat (could be wrong). Regardless, I see no way that we can load up without putting our numbers over the top. If we do I believe the sugar will only spill over into the urine anyway which obviously is not good for the kidneys. I must admit (unless it is my imagination) that I run better, longer if I simply put a few carbs into the system every 20 minutes or so. And I think the numbers bear this out. I do notice a slower pace overall however (could be onset of old age--ha ha). I am going to work up to a half marathon distance this fall and see how it goes. Maybe a full marathon is out of the questions. However, looking at www.insulinfactor.com there seems to be many T1's who are marathoning. Is it possible that insulin could be a silver lining for long distance runners????

I've heard that there are marathoners that run marathons successfully and have to inject insulin as well. That has to be very complicated. They must carry BG monitors and insulin with them. I think it is probably a lot less complicated for runners like us who control BG with diet and exercise and no drugs. I had an idea about carb loading. I wonder if the week b4 one cuts down on all carbs and increased protein and fat slightly and then on the day b4 consume Low Glycemic (slow digesting carbs) only and avoid all high glycemic foods. I don't seem to get highs from these foods but I've never tried eating them exclusively. This would be for the marathon distance only. I have found loading for lesser distances is unnecessary. I don't know why I am getting so concerned about this distance as it will be a long time before I get there (if at all) at my age. lol. I do know if I set it as a goal I will make it happen.Right now my goal is a non-stop 10k. I have run a 10k PB of 39:45 but I know it is unrealistic to expect to get back to that level.
          WHO FARTLEK"D ?
            Had a much better run today. Yesterday I tried nibbling on unsalted whole wheat crackers and small amounts of oatmeal covered with cinnamon and splenda every hour or so. (Over and above my meals.) Kept the numbers in check while building up some glucose reserves in the muscles. This may be the way we can safely carbo load, Forrest, little by little. I don't see any way we can load up the night before without ill effects. More carbs and more calories gave me the best pace this season!

I am thinking that carb loading before a race would not be a bad thing unless of course you are racing a lot. Right now I plan on a 5k next month and the Mini in Indy in May. So between now and May I would carb up fro the long run before the 5K, the 5K, the long run before the mini and then for he mini. How bad can haing higher then controlled numbers 4 time in teh next 8 months be as long as I am in control the rest of the time? As my doctor told me: "You are a diabetic not a monk!! So once in a while............"

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

My only question is, are we actually using the extra carbs or is it possible that we are simply spilling that excess sugar into our urine and not converting it to muscle fuel like a non-diabetic would? I tend to like the theory of little bits over time knowing my muscles are receiving the benefit of converting the carbs to the fuel they need. (Only a theory mind you.) I would be willing to drive my numbers up once in a while if I were assured there is a benefit in doing so.

As far as I know, real carb loading is only effective over the longer distances. As long as you eat regular the day b4 you should be fine in a 5 or 10k. A snack just b4 these shorter races always worked for me in the past.
                  WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                    Say, have your ever thought of running the Indy 500 Mini? It is the world's largest mini

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Not familiar with "Indy 500 Mini" running race? How long is it? 500 laps of any length sounds long.
                      WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                        Wel we do run on the Speedway Track!! One lap!! And you MUST stop and at least touch the Yard of Bricks!!! http://www.500festival.com/marathon/

Checked out the site. Wow - 35000 participants. Thats bigger than Boston. It wasn't really clear but I take it there is a 5k and a 1/2 marathon. I assume you will be trying the 1/2. Sounds like quite an exciting event! I'll have to see how I am doing next spring. Are you registered for 2007 already?
                          WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                            You assume correctly!! This past race 27635 finished and I was one of them. OK I walked it. Still a rush!! 2007 I am going to run it!!! I registered the very next day as soon as registration opened. Don't wait!! Copied from the web page: Last year’s Mini-Marathon and 5K were sell-out events, reaching capacity on the earliest date in event history, on December 2, (nearly 5 months prior to the event). • Not only the largest half-marathon in the U.S., but the 500 Festival Mini-Marathon received praise in Runners World, listed as one of “A Half Dozen Hot Halfs” in the world, based on participant experience in the 13.1-mile half-marathon.

Forrest. You ought to put up a log of your workouts. Don't worry if they are a mix of fast walk, bikinig, etc. That way we can encourage you on and celebrate your progress with you! I think you can custom enter different types of courses or workouts. Just a thought. John

Your're right I should be logging. I was waiting until I can convert my walking and biking to running and my runs get a bit longer to be worth logging. I figure I should be able to do a non-stop 5k in a couple of weeks and go from there.Logging 3k /day hardly seems worthwhile right now. I could log the biking separately but its hard to see the combined value the way this site is set up. Right now my goal is to work up to a non-stop 10k and that goal seems reasonable.(no matter how slow) I'll see what happens after that Thanks, Dave
                                WHO FARTLEK"D ?