Diabetic Runners

Experimenting with foods (Read 444 times)

Big grin Sorry about this. I thought my last post didn't work but it was on page 2 and it can't be deleted, only modified.
    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
      It is frustrating when you can't run. Most of my runs are on elevated trails (old railway line and dike systems. Nice views but worse than a golf course for being exposed to lightning. It's the only thing that stops me. I don"t mind running in the rain in the summer as it is not cold. Just have to remember to stuff my shoes with newspaper for a day if they get wet. (works wonderfully) I'm heading out at 8:30 with a friend. It's nice here at night when the sun goes down, We wear a flashing red light on our waistband if we are on any roads at night. We"ve been told we can be seen up to a mile away by oncoming traffic. I prefer the trails though. I have a pedometer & an odometer on my bike for measuring our runs. Can't afford those new fangled GPS watches. John did I read a your post indicating you have a GPS.Well , I think I'll have something to eat b4 my run but no Corn on the Cob! lol
      WHO FARTLEK"D ?
        Forrest, No, I certainly wish I had a GPS though. However, the mapping system on this site serves me quite well as I have a half dozen courses, and the logging system is absolutely great. I really see no need for a GPS except in my car when I go see my son in DC! Getting around that city is impossible. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

I agree the maping capability of this site is very accurate. I've made some maps and checked the milage and it is dead on. very impressive. I just got in from a great run! biked 20k and ran 5 2 minute stretches and ran a straight 3.2k at the end of our run and I felt I could have easily done more but I stopped at the 10% rule. Nice and cool here at night and early morning. I was surprised to see my BG was 72 at the end of my run, Do you think that is too low? Maybe I should eat a little more b4 I run?
          WHO FARTLEK"D ?
            I really do miss not running this evening. I almost took a light and started a run at 8:30 tonight, but I work days and my wife works mids, so this is our time together before she goes to work. She already worries about me running and having a heart attack or getting hit by a car etc, so I see no reason to chance further ticking her off by taking away our time in the evenings. But man do I miss doing the running!!!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Starflight, Here is a solution that my wife and I found. She sees the benefits of running but is not interested in running herself. But evenings, to spend quality time together we briskly walk a couple of miles together. It certainly isn't running, BUT it does give you the same calorie burn per mile as running and my dr says that all the diabetic benefits are still there; i.e. lower BP, lower BG, etc. Besides, the occasional walk is perfect for building rest into our running schedules while still getting good exercise. We walk together about 4 times each week and each walk only takes 30-40 minutes. Smile John

Sounds good to me!! BTW I broke 50 on the resting heart rate while taking my BP last night!!!49 Big grin Big grin Big grin

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Just a little concerned My prerun BG was 140 and after the run 77. It's still in the normal range but the drop is really surprising to me. Do you guys experience similar numbers? I'm thinking that it may drop more as I increase my distance. Maybe I should get in the habit of snacking on the run. I believe John uses ginger snaps. I found an interesting article while surfing diabetic sites and here's a quote People who have Type 2 diabetes, on the other hand, can often exercise safely with elevated blood glucose levels. In fact, since physical activity tends to lower blood glucose, a little exercise may be “just what the doctor ordered.” However, it is still prudent for people with Type 2 diabetes who begin exercise with high blood glucose to check their level after about 15 minutes of activity to see whether it is going up or down. Here is the url if you want to see the entire site : http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/sections/section.cfm?sid=9&sk=9AAP
                  WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                    Thanks for the link Forrest. I have often wondered what is going on with my BG during a run or walking the mini. Doc has me checking my FBG and after a big meal. BTW both the doc and my insurance (I have a nurse that called me once a month to go over my numbers) don't want me going under 80. And to tell the truth I don't like getting in the low 70s as I'll turn and when I stop the rest of the world seems to keep going for another 10 degrees of turn.

I used to check twice a day Fasting and after a meal . Now I have added two more once b4 and after a run. The strips are a little expensive so 4 times a day is max for me. I have no symptoms running in the 70's so far. In fact I actually feel pretty good after my last two runs. Meeting someone for a run early today. bye for now.
                      WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                        Forrest--until recently I was testing before and after each and every run as well but found that my shorter runs had become reasonably predictable so I now test before and after my longer runs only. I don't know if that's good or bad but the test strips do get expensive. John

John I'm not dropping much on my BS anymore since I start my daily runs in my normal range -70 -110. I think I will only test b4 and after my weekend long runs as you are doing. I have solved my issues with corn on the cob. If I consume a lean protein and some lower glycemic vegetables and then 2 cobs of corn I get a good rating. (unfortunately 2 is my limit) I did just that tonight and only rose to 104. Probably need to do the same thing with potatoes as well. I am eating a banana or a small bowl of All Bran or Fibre 1 b4 every run with no problems so far. Have not tried eating on the run yet. (Will try when I reach my next goal of 10k non stop) Dave
                          WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                            I've actually stopped eating during the long runs. Today I did my long run (11 mi--what is that, about 18K for you?) with water only and my numbers remained quite constant from beginning to end. If I should continue after next week to increase my mileage in hopes of a marathon in October, I may start to add a little diluted gator juice just out of principle. You may not see numbers necessarily fall with your increased mileage, but as time goes on and your mileage increases, I'll bet contol will become somewhat easier and predictable and you will be able to eat more liberally. John

FOLLOW UP: Yesterday's long run was with water only and as I said, my BG stayed fairly constant from the beginning of the run to the end. However, later in the day it took a pretty good dive and by evening I had a headache that lasted until early this morning when I ate breakfast. I have no proof the headach was related to low BG although it was a headach unlike a migrain or sinus which I've experienced before. I have read that exercise can effect sugar levels well after you're finished and I believe headaches can be a symptom of low blood glucose. Has anyone ever had a similar experience?

John I read about the late post run drop too but never experienced it. I have never experienced symptoms of a low even though my numbers seem to run naturally on the low side. Here is an interesting article about atheletes and low BS. You probably have read it already. I don't think it's on your pertinent links. http://www.momentummedia.com/articles/tc/tc1103/bigdrop.htm Dave
                                WHO FARTLEK"D ?