Diabetic Runners

Welcome to Diabetic Runners User Group (Read 562 times)

Welcome to the board!! I too hated running until I figured out that it would keep me off meds for this disease. Now I look foreword to running. Wish we had your weather here! Last night was the first time we have stayed above 32* in a month, although you can have that damned traffic and the commute times that go with it. I will NEVER EVER miss that!!! I use to live in Simi Valley not far from your location

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Hi Terry, I ran the Marine Corps Marathon in 2005 with Team in Training and really enjoyed the experience. There used to be a similar program for diabetes, called Team Diabetes, and I ran the Kona 1/2 Marathon in 2002 and the Disney Marathon in 2003 with them. Apparently the ADA couldn't make it profitable enough and decided to discontinue the program shortly after I ran Disney. Good luck with your marathon - Team in Training is a great group to run with! ~Stacie
        Welcome, Terry - I'm on a Medtronic pump, too, which I like a lot, except for the fact that I can't swim with it. Good pump, though. Curious how you handle your basal rates for long runs (more than an hour)... that's where things tend to confuse me a bit. Marcus

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Marcus, I'm on a minimed pump too. For shorter runs (45 min or less) I take my pump off completely, and haven't had a problem with high bloodsugars from it. For longer runs, I leave the pump on until my bloodsugar gets too low. Then I take a gel or sport beans or clif blocks and turn the pump off for the rest of my run. It's not what my Dr. suggested (he suggested cutting the basal rate in 1/2 or 1/3), but it works for me. ~Stacie

The voice of mile 18

Hi Terry! good luck on your marathon and the fundraising!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Armybrat

Hello, all. Allow me to introduce myself. I'm a 25 year-old woman in the Army, stationed in Upstate New York (10th MTN DIV) where it is entirely too cold. I love to run, and am also at least pre-diabetic. I'll post the whole story separately, just wanted to say hi first. Pleased to meet you and delighted to have discovered this resource!
                Thanks for the warm welcome!! Marcus, Like Stacie, I've been taking the pump off for my runs, reasoning that I don't really have to worry about a high. So the answer is, my basal rate is 0 while I run. At first I was less than diligent about bringing my BG testing kit with me, but now I won't run over 45 minutes without it. I do a finger stick every 30 to 40 minutes. On runs of 45 minutes or less, I test before and after. (Well, I try to, anyway.) I always carry glucose tablets on long and short runs. If I forget them, I'll run back and get them. I'm going to try a variation of Stacie's method by bringing the pump with me on longer runs, but turning it off until I need it. My BG levels dip pretty low while I'm running, so I am wary of keeping my basal going. What's your experience been? Terry
                  Welcome, Armybrat!