Improving Your 5K

Is there a good predictor run for a 5k? (Read 616 times)

The voice of mile 18

yasso 800's are supposedly good predictors for the marathon and Mcmillan has his (her?) calculator. but does anyone know a good predictor run for the 5k? been off and on training and would like to see how I'm doing with 3 weeks to go before my "A" race

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy 

Slow-smooth-fast

I heard somewhere that if you go out and run 3 miles all out, this will give you the race equivalent of 3.1 miles. Better still, just wait until you race, and you will know for sure. Good luck. Smile

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Best predictor workout for 5k is 3x1 mile with 1 minute recovery. Run the reps at the best possible pace that you can sustain through the workout. (In other words, don't blast the first one so much that the other two suffer). The average pace that you can sustain though the intervals should be your current 5k race pace.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.