Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers - July 4th week (Read 281 times)

day after day sameness

The calender has steadily marched onward into July and the racing and training continues!

************This week and weekend*******************

Jul 4th vegefrog  Firecracker Fast 5K  5K  Little Rock, AR  23:30

Jul 4th MilkTruck LL Bean 10K 10K Freeport, ME 47:20:00

Jul 8th HappyFeat Timber Town 10k 10K Port Gamble, WA

Good luck, fleet feet and following winds to all our trainers and racers - have fun!

I've done my best to live the right way; I get up every morning and go to work each day...

day after day sameness

Ran a 47:36 on my watch at the LL Bean 10K, so a little off planned pace. This is a tough course, very little is flat and finding any rythm is a challenge. As a nostalgia trip, here's a link to one of my first postings on RA -- a race report for the first time I ran this race.

I've done my best to live the right way; I get up every morning and go to work each day...

Good runs by Vegefrog and Milktruck!

Hope to hear soon from Happyfeat.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ran a 47:36 on my watch at the LL Bean 10K, so a little off planned pace. 

I could never hope to run that fast, MT. Well done!

MTA: For my trail race on Sunday, I don't have a time goal. My goals are to:

(a)  get there early enough for a 15-minute warmup jog

(b)  not go off course like last time

(c)  not fall or twist an ankle

(d)  have FUN!

Last Saturday I ran a strenuous 2.5 hour trail run (a little over 12 miles) and the Saturday before that I ran a 10-mile strenuous trail run; so I think I'm as prepared as I can be.  The trail HM is one month away and I almost feel ready for that. I think this 10K will help towards getting more comfortable with the trail race experience.

Use your momentum...keep going.  You know you can make it.

day after day sameness

MTA: For my trail race on Sunday, I don't have a time goal. My goals are to:

(a)  get there early enough for a 15-minute warmup jog

(b)  not go off course like last time

(c)  not fall or twist an ankle

(d)  have FUN!

Last Saturday I ran a strenuous 2.5 hour trail run (a little over 12 miles) and the Saturday before that I ran a 10-mile strenuous trail run; so I think I'm as prepared as I can be.  The trail HM is one month away and I almost feel ready for that. I think this 10K will help towards getting more comfortable with the trail race experience.

That's a great list of goals HappyF !  Trail runners impress the heck out of me. At the one trail race I've done, I was so impressed with the warmth and inclusion and just general overall sense of being in something together.  It is so much harder than a road race -- you have to navigate, you have constant changes in effort from the terrain changes.

That's been my experience too, MT. When I missed a marker for a turn-off and headed up the wrong route last time, I had about 6 runners behind me calling out to reel me back on track - nice!  As far as this: "so much harder than a road race -- you have to navigate, you have constant changes in effort from the terrain changes." Truer words were never said! This is why it would be self-defeating for me to have a time goal. The last race, a 5K, felt like an obstacle course! and seemed a heck of a lot longer than 5K because of all the extra effort involved.  But Fun! I never had so much fun running!

Had a memorable 10K trail race today...my 4th trail race so far...every one completely different from the other. This one was very twisty-turny and primarily up or down, with little in between. Most of the grade was about 20%, with some around 25 to 30%. I power hiked a fair bit and there were some bits of downhill where I had to step sideways and sometimes hang on to something like a tree to make it down safely. I didn't get much of a warmup due to a conflicting need to use the PortaPotty Roll eyes Then the start was delayed for a news update on sale of the land, which further "cooled" me back down. So, once we started running, my breathing naturally got out of hand pretty quickly and I had a sideache for about the middle third of the race. The downhills were the hardest for me to breathe  in a regular controlled fashion. About halfway through my legs were pretty tired and I opted to fall back and get my breathing under control and just run comfortably.

It took me an hour and 11 minutes. I was quite pleased that they had taken extra effort to mark the course this time.  I probably ran a third of it without anyone around me and had not trouble following the route...whew! I came in 45th out of 80 finishers.

So...not the finish time I would have liked; but no mishaps and gained valuable trail racing experience.

I also got a pair of Smartwool PhD running socks in the raffle.Big grin

vegefrog

Back from vacation! I ran a 23:34 in my 4th of July 5K, nice to see that I haven't lost too much speed. I have been seriously slacking though in the running department and this week it's back to business! Smile

Great races HappyFeat and MT!!

Alright! Good job, you and I are very close at that distance, I am going to have to take up the challenge!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.