Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Long Runs (Read 976 times)

Len

Damn Yankee

I'm running my first half marathon in February at Cowtown. Right now my long runs are 8 miles. I'm going to gradually increase the distance but I wonder what is the longest run I should attempt between now and 02-23-08. My mileage has been pretty inconsistent, but I'm a goal oriented kinda guy so I will be putting in the miles between now and then.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

My first half was White Rock, and my longest run prior was 10.5 miles. I had done 9 miles twice before that. I would have liked to get another 10 in, maybe 11, just so I had the mental "I know I can do this", but the motivation lacked big time. I think most people say if you can get to 10, you can do 3 more. Good luck! I'll be doing the Cowtown half also!
      Started running Nov 2006 1st race: Cowtown 10K 2/24/07 1:09:32 PR 5K 29:54 PR 10K 1:01:08 White Rock 1/2 Dec 07 2:27:50 2010 goals PR all!!!
        I think it makes a difference if you plan to run the race to finish or run it to race. If you just want to cover the distance, 10 is probably sufficient beforehand. If you want to race it, I'd cover at least the whole 13.1 before, probably more like 14. I did 16 before my first half and I really think the knowledge that I had gone well over the 13.1 mark before gave me confidence to go out at a good pace and race the whole thing. I've only done 1 half, so take this with a grain of salt. Good luck.
          I agree with Shaunna on going the distance or more ahead of time can inspire confidence for your first half. After training for my first marathon earlier this year - I've become a big fan of the medium-long run mid-week. This is in addition to the long run on the weekend. The more of these I do - the more I look at the distances between 10 and 15 miles as "easy" - which makes it easier for me to mentally stay with it throughout the workout or race. You've got good speed already. Piles of miles will allow you to maintain that speed on longer distances.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Len

Damn Yankee

I intended to put 10 miles in today, but my run didn't begin well and I struggled through most of it for some reason. I figured I'd just put in 3-4, but I incrementally increased my distance (just a little further) until I had managed 8 miles. Lousy run, but I'm happy about getting the miles in. I'm going to build towards a 15 mile run at the end of January. I believe that putting in a run longer than the half will build my confidence. My primary focus at the moment is just to finish, but secretly I want to run it in around 1:50.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good luck, Len! I will be following your progress. I'm 45 and have signed up (gulp) for a half marathon next September. The farthest I've run is 5.4 miles. I've just started Hal Higdon's half marathon program for novices. I know he says you only need to do a 10-mile run before the race, but I'm planning on doing at least the 13.1 beforehand. I'm definitely a waddling penguin, so I will just be attempting to finish the race! Thanks to all you experienced guys and gals for the advice you give us! I need all the help I can get. I do have a faithful running partner who is a beginner like me, so that helps a lot. Cool
                i'm doing a half in march and had wondered the same thing about how far i should run beforehand. i'm following hal higdon's plan as well, and that has you run a max of 10 miles, but i'm thinking i'm going to try to get at least to 12 (since i have plenty of time) because for me, a lot of it is mental - i just need to convince myself that i can actually run 13.1 Smile
                runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

When I did my first half, I did the same and followed Hal's plan but increased the mileage to match up with the routes around my house. But like hurricaneShaunna said what you do depends on your goals. Mine were more than just to finish. If you want to finish the race a max of 8 miles could get it done. But what ever you do have fun... I was giving high fives and had a smile Big grin the whole race (I think I did). Good luck

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

Oh Mighty Wing

i'm training for my first half in march. built my own schedule which includes 2 14milers. going beyond for a handful of runs helped with my 10k in december so i figure i should stick with that plan
                    Len

Damn Yankee

Started a planned 10 mile run today, ended up running 12 in just shy of 1:49. Felt really good, I enjoyed it. I'm starting to get excited about my first half!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Started a planned 10 mile run today, ended up running 12 in just shy of 1:49. Felt really good, I enjoyed it. I'm starting to get excited about my first half!
                        Way to go, Len! That's great that you went farther than you planned. You don't have much longer to wait!
                          LEN good run and I'm glad you're excited about your upcoming Half Marathon. I looked at your log it it seems you might too excited and in danger of over training. That was a big jump in your long run, be careful with that. My suggesstion would be do a weekly 8 miler with middle 6 at your desired race pace 3 days away from your long run. EASY on your long runs. Drop back to 10 miles then increase 1 mile every other week do not go over a long run of 9 miles the last 10 days of training. I know that a consistent schedule could be difficult for you I've been there. I see however that you have your priorities straight. Good luck and have a great race your only goal on your first half should be to finish with a smile. Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Len

Damn Yankee

LEN good run and I'm glad you're excited about your upcoming Half Marathon. I looked at your log it it seems you might too excited and in danger of over training. That was a big jump in your long run, be careful with that. My suggesstion would be do a weekly 8 miler with middle 6 at your desired race pace 3 days away from your long run. EASY on your long runs. Drop back to 10 miles then increase 1 mile every other week do not go over a long run of 9 miles the last 10 days of training. I know that a consistent schedule could be difficult for you I've been there. I see however that you have your priorities straight. Good luck and have a great race your only goal on your first half should be to finish with a smile. Big grin
                            I appreciate all of your input Sarge. I've been thinking that I have been pushing a little hard mileage wise, and my body agrees. I decided to take an extra rest day today, my legs were unexpectedly sore this morning; weird considering I didn't run yesterday. I had a really nasty compound fracture of my right tibia in 2005 and I would not let the doc to put a rod in; I think I need to be conscious of ramping mileage up too quickly more than most people do. Tomorrow I'll put in my long run, 10 miles this time.

Len I looked at your log and it seemsto me you are doing fine. I have only done one half, and managed 8 runs of race distance before the race, completed in 1:55:18, though it must be said on a net downhill course. I am 20 years older than you, so I would assume you can push a bit harder on race day than I could, so your time goal is probably realistic. Take care of that leg, and keep us up to date. We look forward to a race report! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Prince of Fatness

I can't remember exactly what I did for my first HM but I am sure I got in at least a couple of 10+ milers in. I think one of them was at least 12. I was able to finish fine. I've since done a handful more and added more longer runs in, resulting in improved times. I think you have plenty of time to get in a couple of 10+ runs in ... and may go up to 12 on one. 12 is close enough to cover "I've gone the distance". One word of caution ... Don't go out too fast. It's easy to get sucked in by the pack. The longer the race, the higher the price you pay for going out too fast. Good luck.

Not at it at all.