Half Marathon Trainers

Upcoming Races - 2011 (Read 1481 times)

Loves the outdoors

Sorry to hear about your injury Mandy. The Rotorua half looks like a great race though. I might make that a goal for next year!

Vino - congrats on the free ticket to the Auckland Marathon. Good luck for your first Marathon! I'm still a long way away from wanting to attempt one of those. Half Marathon's still seem pretty long to me.

I'm training hard for my half in June. I'm doing the Harbour Capital Half Marathon on June 19th. I did the 10k last year so I'm a little torn by wanting to do the same distance again and improve, but this is the year of the half so I will go long!

MilkTruck - Do you kiss the bricks mid-race or finish and go back to do it? 

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Former runner

See this thread on the proper etiquette for kissing the bricks.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/hmt/forum/Post/764437848e3f4d258af87101a01f1664#focus

The bricks are just before mile 8 so you stop during the race to kiss them. My form was pretty poor last year and I nearly did a face plant when trying to get back up.

Ross

an amazing likeness

I'm flying half way across the continent to a strange and scary city...I plan to make out with few of the bricks. Mid-race. There may be no reason to rejoin the race...other than to get back to the starting area. Wink

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

HoundMom

I'm doing the Disney Half marathon in Sept. It will be my first organized race and I'm super excited. Right now, I'm averaging about 20miles per week and my longest run is 5miles. I'm a slow runner (approx.12mm on the long runs, but it's hard to tell since I have to stop occasionally for the dog), but my aim is just to finish and get my medal for participating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. "Kissing the bricks"...someone care to explain to the newbie?

HoundMom

Wink oops posted twice and can't delete this post.

All races should be up to date to this point. (Can you tell that this post is more for me than y'all!)

Houndmom  - welcome to the group. I can't tell you about kissing bricks but did put some really brief advice (if you can call it that) over in the April Thread

2017 Goals
              1) Run more than 231 miles
              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Matt - is that an extra specially hilly 10k you are doing next week.  Up Mt Everest or something?

Matt - is that an extra specially hilly 10k you are doing next week.  Up Mt Everest or something?

Nah Smile

Running it with my better half.

Good luck at the 1:30 this weekend - we're all rooting for ya.

2017 Goals

Former runner

"Kissing the bricks"...someone care to explain to the newbie?

It's an Indy Mini thing. At about half way the course goes around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The finish line on the race track is a strip of bricks. It's tradition that the winner of the Indianapolis 500 will kiss the bricks. So some of the runners will stop and kiss the bricks during the mini. They usually have the photographers taking pictures at that spot.

Ross

an amazing likeness

I'm also planning on the Indy Mini for 2011.  5/7/2011.  "A" goal, kiss the bricks. "B" goal sub 1:40.  "C" goal sub 1:42.

Goal: Kiss the bricks

Kissed the bricks, twice. The bricks seemed to be fresh, new bricks with fresh dirt. I kissed once, got halfway up, then down again. It was...awesome, I was jazzed.

Goal: Sub 1:42. 

Ran a 1:40:30.  If I'd known it was that close I probably could have gotten to sub 1:40...maybe. 

It was a good day in a land far away from home.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Nice Milktruck, really nice!Well done!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Former runner

Kissed the bricks, twice. The bricks seemed to be fresh, new bricks with fresh dirt. I kissed once, got halfway up, then down again. It was...awesome, I was jazzed.

Sounds like my first attempt. I nearly did a face plant last year trying to get back up.

I kissed the bricks again and did a better job getting down and back up. I don't think it even slowed me down much. I put my bib number on the back side of my shirt in hopes of getting an official picture. I went out a bit too fast and ran a positive split but overall it was a good race. Glad the rain held off until after I finished.

My official time: 1:56:08. over 3 minute PR! Smile

Ross

So, I just signed up for Dallas's White Rock Lake Half on 05/07 (goal 2:15).  I also plan to sign up for the San Antonio Rock-n-Roll (HM) on 11/13 and look to break 2 hrs...assuming my training survives the Texas summer heat... Dead

Ran a pretty consistent race on Saturday, as my first attempt at a complete run at this distance.  Never felt particularly good, but was able to hold my pace through the finish and beat my goal with a time of 2:12:50.  Next up, a Fall shot at sub-2:00.

That is some great racing from all of you. What a start to May for this group!

Andy - going back for seconds on the bricks... a class act Big grin

(even those of you who did not post your results here... I went a log stalking and you all ran fabulous times!) Blush

Great work folks

Next up - me & hbarney on the 29th

2017 Goals

happybarb

Cellcom 2012

Completed my first half on Sunday, 2:32:53, pace 11:39 which is good for me.