Half Marathon Trainers

Decem-Brrrrrr (Read 25 times)

Cyberic

I'm going to take it easy for the first few days of December. November was big miles (for me) and big spped work, and I'm feeling tired. So I'll take a week of easier running and see how my body reacts.

Got a call from the shoe store. They said that the shoes I ordered over two weeks ago is not available in size 12 1/2. WTF. They're a running shoe store and it took them over two weeks to realize that? Guess what store I'm not going to again for a little while...

What does everybody have planned to end the year?

hog4life

I started December off with a 6 mile run with Bella in 67 degrees. Last week the high was 37 one day. My work schedule is really messing with me as I'm trying to prepare myself for the Little Rock Marathon. I'm working 12 hour shifts, rotating, and working 5 days(or nights) on, then 2.5 days off. There are a lot of 60 hour paychecks, so at least I'll have some extra money.

Cyberic

This morning it's 5 F out, with a windchill factor of -7 F. Gulp. But, I'm running indoors today.

Mitch, as an answer to your November question, I don't know which marathon plan I'm going to use yet. I have the Pfitz book, Hansons and Daniels and am *familiar with all of them (I read them). I recently looked at Higdon's page and he seems to have great programs, but since I already own three books, I'll probably opt for one of them. Right now I'm leaning towards Daniels, as his plans are less rigid than Hansons and Pfitz. I like the Daniels approach of knowing what to do in the week, and having the liberty to spread it how you like,but have some rules to follow. But I have time to change my mind at least 10 times before my real training starts.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Sorry I have been MIA but lots of work since the last time we spoke.  I ran the Space Coast Marathon this weekend and did great, especially considering my asthma bout of three weeks and my fall and scratched knee.  A great time, IMO.

Before the end of the year, we have one more race.  Whether we are running the one in Central Florida (marathon) or the local one (HM) we'll see.

Cy, ugh at the store.  Hope you find the shoes.

Mitch, I hate when work messes our running lives.

Damaris

redleaf

Ideally, I'm just plodding along till the end of the year. I started an 18 week plan to the 30k at the end of March. I'm also doing that holiday to holiday streak - so US thanksgiving to New Years. I did okay with the streak last December and this year it'll be nice because I won't have the back-to-back halfs on the 31st and 1st.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yesterday, it was -25*C but the windchill felt more like -35*C. I ran inside on the DM. Today I'm going to the gym for an hour so I kept my morning run short at 1.5 miles. Just a little something to stretch out my legs and keep my streak going. This is my second week going to the gym (Tue & Thu afternoons) with some friends of mine. It's more strength than cardio and working with a trainer so it's never the same workout. There are 3-5 of us so it's a small group. I'm bad for neglecting the strength work so some weights are good for me.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

From the Internet.

Hello! I've been popping in here off and on for like, a year and a half now, but I finally registered for my first half marathon this morning (in May), so I guess I actually belong now Big grin

Just base building planned for the next few months - goal is to get comfortable at/over 40 mpw with a regular 10 mile weekend long run and midweek long-ish run.

Cyberic

Hi Lauren,

With 40 mpw with a regular 10 mile weekend long run and midweek long-ish run, you will be ready for that half of yours in May. Happy training!

Cyberic

Meg, I just looked and your streak has been going on for 371 days!!! That's impressive. Congratulations on your determination of steel.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I ran 2 with hubby and lifted weights last night.  Recovery is going well.

Meg, nice streak!

Damaris

redleaf

HI Lauren!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Welcome Lauren! Which part of the planet are you from?

Just base building planned for the next few months - goal is to get comfortable at/over 40 mpw with a regular 10 mile weekend long run and midweek long-ish run.

I found that mid-length run mid week is really a good one in training for a half. My goal in training is to work up to a 7 miles for a mid-length midweek to complement my long run on Sundays.

And thanks all for comments on my streak. The goal is at least a mile a day. There's always time for one mile. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

From the Internet.

Meg - I'm from Massachusetts Smile

Mid-week long-ish run number 1 is done, did 8.25 since I had time yesterday. Is that too long in comparison to a 10 mile long run? I'll probably wind up capping it at 7 most weeks just due to time constraints (i.e., my inability to wake up early enough when it's cold and dark!).

Glad you popped in Lauren,

Sounds like you have  a great plan. I'm working my way up to a seven hour workout week 35 miles (I'm slow) or 25 miles plus a weight training class and spin class before starting up a firm plan for a May goal race.

Rest day for me today (I'm no streaker, ha!)  I need it, legs are rubbery from a multitude of squats on Tuesday. Short run tomorrow.

happy Thursday folks, A

Recalculating...

Cyberic

...did 8.25 since I had time yesterday. Is that too long in comparison to a 10 mile long run? ...

I personnally don't think it's too long. The idea is to get some rest (can be an Easy day or completely off)  between workouts. If you did hard intervals the day before, and a tempo run the day after, then maybe 8.25 miles out of a 40 miles total week might not exactly be a great way to recover. But in itself, a middle of the week 8 mile run is great with the weekend long run of 10.