Half Marathon Trainers

redleaf's training thread (Read 83 times)

redleaf

Okay - the plan is all in the training plans here so you can all go look at my slight organizational obsession.

the plan for tomorrow is 5 x 800 at 7:30 min/km (or thereabouts - somewhere between half and 10k pace but, as MT pointed out I'll gauge by feel more than by my watch).

There is a track in the park across the street. I can't find anywhere official that says the distance of the track so I'm gonna work from the premise that 1 lap = 400 metres. But I mean seriously, how can I not use the track that's almost within spitting distance?!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Let us know how that goes, it will be a good test of your current fitness.

Note the temperature so you can compare future efforts and see your progress.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Let us know how that goes, it will be a good test of your current fitness.

Note the actual times and the details of the warm up so you can compare future efforts and see your progress.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

redleaf

It went well but I think I went a little slow now that I think about it.

When I set it all up I figured 7:30 min / km = 10k pace. But my PR = 7:15 pace (I checked just now) so I think I should have gone a bit faster.

Anyway, working from the 7:30 min/km pace I figured if I could be around 3 minutes per lap for the running part that'd be perfect. And I was. By the end of the second lap I was usually looking forward to the recovery portion. By 1 minute into the 3 minute recovery I was looking forward to the run. Does that sound about right? Ran by feel and was remarkably consistent I think.

I did a 5 minute run to the track to warm up (downhill) 10 minute walk back from the track to cool down (uphill)

The route looks funny on the garmin download - 50 bazillion dots in an oval.

My 4th and 5th runs were the fastest which is why I thought to go and look up the pace again. I'll change the plan to go a little faster next time.

Anyway the run portions (for 2 laps):

6:02.3

5:59.3

6:03.5

5:49.33

5:46.73

(I added or subtracted the time from the recovery intervals to make the runs always start on a multiple of 3 - easier to keep track)

Cool today - 16 degrees c; in the rain after a crappy night's sleep with the wee one.

HF #4362

an amazing likeness

Anyway, working from the 7:30 min/km pace I figured if I could be around 3 minutes per lap for the running part that'd be perfect. And I was. By the end of the second lap I was usually looking forward to the recovery portion. By 1 minute into the 3 minute recovery I was looking forward to the run. Does that sound about right? Ran by feel and was remarkably consistent I think. 

Hmmm....sounds about right. I've been schooled that you generally want to get to the recovery just as your legs and lungs are starting to complain, and then start to get antsy to start the next fast section about 30 sec before it starts.

You're early in this training cycle, so the consistency of the repeats is good to see -- it means you didn't run then harder than your current fitness. You'll want to see them decrease in time without the effort going up as you get into the plan.

By the way, thought of you the other night as I did this tempo workout. I think this is the type of structure you want in your upcoming tempo workouts -- warmup, glide into tempo, cool down.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

Thanks MT - that's great. Today got all messed up thanks to a screw up at work I had to fix. Tomorrow I have an eye doc appointment so I can't go to spinning so I'll just do today's run tomorrow morning and give spinning a miss for this week. I'll do the weights at home tomorrow night or Saturday.

The other thing from this week is that I went to donate blood yesterday and was turned down 'cause my hemoglobin was slightly under their cut off. The absolute cutoff = 125 and I registered 123. A little funny 'cause we've been eating keto since May 1. But I went back on myfitnesspal.com and I barely break 50% of my iron requirement on any given day. My doc reviewed the comprehensive blood work we did in January for an unrelated matter and thinks I would be fine for the next month if I just tried to up the food iron rather than take a supplement.

So I'm wondering if I'm the only slow one who didn't realize running affects iron levels? Weird. Other things I've learned: eat broccoli with your meat - vitamin C helps absorb iron; skip the coffee with the meal - it inhibits absorption. Absorb has 2 Bs, absorption does not. Big grin

HF #4362

redleaf

By the way, thought of you the other night as I did this tempo workout. I think this is the type of structure you want in your upcoming tempo workouts -- warmup, glide into tempo, cool down.

Sometimes I really think I only have one pace. First official tempo run here.

MTA: I hit 200 on the scale this morning. Down from a high earlier this year of 224. I am THISCLOSE to being <90 kg

HF #4362

redleaf

Blog post of the week - where I thank you guys for your help.

HF #4362

redleaf

A couple of questions about throwing some races into my training plan.

I am running a 15k race on August 17, 2013. The Ryan Hall plan I modified and posted here has that as a race sim day - running about 17-18 km split between easy kms and half-marathon race pace plus a bit. I figure "racing" a 15 km is probably an okay substitute as my 15km PR isn't that much faster.  (just looking to see if anyone thinks this would be dumb)

BUT I also want to do another 5km to try and better the June PR. Thoughts on throwing one in 3 weeks before the goal half-marathon? Stupid or okay? Torn between what's billed as a fast flat course close to home, smallish (1000 tops) (and looks pretty snazzy too - the post race food is provided by some very high end restaurants) and waiting until the half is over.

thanks

HF #4362

HappyFeat

I don't see any problem with any of that.  Go for it! Three weeks is plenty of time to recover from the 5K for the HM.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

an amazing likeness

I agree with HappyFeat on the 5K race.  Do it.  Use it to test your legs.  Pick a target pace per mile (or km) about 10% harder than your target HM pace and run each split rock solid on that pace.  It will show you that your planned HM pace is comfortable and well within reach.

(After re-reading...I think this is really my attempt at being polite and not saying -- don't do what you did in your last 5K which was jog, jog, jog, jog, sprint like holly hell...finish!)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

Thanks HappyFeat

I agree with HappyFeat on the 5K race.  Do it.  Use it to test your legs.  Pick a target pace per mile (or km) about 10% harder than your target HM pace and run each split rock solid on that pace.  It will show you that your planned HM pace is comfortable and well within reach.

(After re-reading...I think this is really my attempt at being polite and not saying -- don't do what you did in your last 5K which was jog, jog, jog, jog, sprint like holly hell...finish!)

And thanks MT - I really did laugh out loud at that.

MTA - and I thought you'd sort of laugh and sort of shake your head at my "hard tempo" run last night.

HF #4362

HappyFeat

Hi Lisa, I should be stretching or housecleaning, but my coffee cup and I have gotten sucked into computer-land....on the pretext of trying out the new desk chair...which I think I hate...boy is it uncomfortable! OK that's not what this is about.  I wanted to refer back to one of your log/blog notes

"Friday – tempo run – So the idea was a bit of a warm up (1.6km easy) 6.5km at 1/2 marathon pace, and then a bit of a cool down (1.6km easy). Ended up doing the 6.5km at 7:36 minutes per km. That’s a bit fast for me for 1/2 marathon pace (my PR is 7:57 minutes per km). There’s no way I can run a 1/2 at 7:36…"

To my mind, the tempo pace is supposed to be faster than what you can run in an event, but it will increase your current race pace. It will make your running form more efficient. It will make you more comfortable with running fast. It will make your EZ pace feel easier! It will develop your heart, lungs, and muscle capabilities more quickly than with just EZ running.

IMO, your tempo pace is not too fast and you will want to increase in the future as you get more comfortable.  When I do a run such as that, I now do the fast intervals at about 30 seconds faster  (in mpm) than my HM pace. When I very first started tempos sometime in the last year or so, I started out running them at my HM pace and over time, dropped the pace of the workouts down to where they are at now.

I started with only a couple of 1/4 mile interval sets since that's all I could do at that pace.  Eventually I worked up to the six sets of 1/2 mile intervals.  Then  I increased the interval to 3/4 mile tempo pace with 1/4 mile recoveries.  Then I got injured, but not from the tempo runs - want to make that clear.Smile

Right now my ham has recovered enough for me to start resuming tempos.  Last Wednesday,  I started up again with six 1/2 mile (800 meters) intervals with 1/2 mile recoveries. The recovery time seemed way too long. I prefer 1/4 mile recoveries; but for my first set last week it seemed like a good idea until I could see how my hamstring reacted in the following days.  Since the leg did alright, I'll switch to the 1/2 mile / 1 /4 mile sequence next Wednesday.  Hopefully that will go OK too. My lungs burned after last week's run and were irritated for about 24 hours after; so  I've lost ground there with the setback in April.

My long term plan is to keep extending the length of the tempo intervals until I'm doing full mile intervals with recoveries, and then to start incrementally stringing them together. Whether this is ever achievable remains to be seen!  My distant goals are to someday run a new 10K PB and another 2-hour HM. My immediate goal with the tempo running is to increase my EZ pace.

One final important note: Be sure you  are completely warmed up (heart rate, breathing, muscles) before beginning your tempo intervals. For me, this takes about 20 minutes.  You might need less, but I can't believe that 5 minutes is sufficient.   Without proper warmup, you risk injury.

I look forward to hearing how your running week goes. Have fun with it!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

redleaf

Thanks HappyFeat! I appreciate all the help and comments.

This week wasn't so great with the running actually. Just too much going on for me to work it all out properly but I'm trying not to get bummed about it. I started the training for my 1/2 a few weeks longer out (16 weeks)  than the plan I used as the base is long (10 weeks) so I have a few built in repeats - including weeks 1 and 2. So I'll get to redo these last two weeks and hopefully put this week behind me.

But I'll definitely increase the warm up for the intervals on Mondays - that's something I noticed as well. I think I did the tempo runs well because of that 1.5km easy at the beginning. (that's about 12 minutes for me so even that I should probably lengthen).

HF #4362

redleaf

And here's the weekly blog post

HF #4362