Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon Long Runs (Read 976 times)

I am training for my first Half this Feb... only 1 month away now. I have been following the Jeff Galloway (modified) training "to finish" but I would like to finish in under 2 hours. I am still a fairly new runner in the past year. In Jeff's plan he has you doing a 14 miler before race day. I have done 13.1 about a month ago just so I know I could do it, and I just did my 14 miler Saturday. I personally would have done it anyway, and just started training longer in advance because I need the confidence that I can do it. Any input would be appreciated on my logs. Thanks! Tim
    "Better to take the slow approach then the no approach."
    My Quest to a Marathon blog.262quest.com

Prince of Fatness

In Jeff's plan he has you doing a 14 miler before race day. I have done 13.1 about a month ago just so I know I could do it, and I just did my 14 miler Saturday. I personally would have done it anyway, and just started training longer in advance because I need the confidence that I can do it. Any input would be appreciated on my logs.
      I'm far from an expert, but have run a handful of half marathons. I see from your logs that you have the speed to finish in 2 hours, but I worry that your total mileage is a little low. My recommendation if you're shooting for 2 hours would be to pace it evenly. 9 minute miles is 1:57 and change, so try to run a few seconds over 9 mm and see if you can last the race at that pace. Be careful not to go out too fast. The crowd and adrenaline make that easy to do. You want that first mile or two to feel real easy. I can't stress that enough. Since you have a month, try to get in a couple more longer runs in the next couple or weeks. They don't have to be 13-14 milers, 10 would be plenty. 10+ minute miles, too, just for time on your feet. Good luck.

Not at it at all. 

Thanks for the reply. I do plan on running a couple more long runs. Thanks for the input, I was concerned about my total mileage, but was following the Galloway plan and thought I was doing even better than what he suggested. I am really not concerned with the time nearly as much as it may have come across. The main reason for the hope of getting there was because I was close in training. You nailed my biggest concern on the head, starting out too fast. I tend to do that in shorter races, but those don't hurt nearly as bad as if I do the same thing with 13 miles in front of me. How would you suggest I get more miles, I try to keep myself only running every other day, and 3-6 miles on the two shorter runs for the week. Thanks, Tim

Prince of Fatness

How would you suggest I get more miles, I try to keep myself only running every other day, and 3-6 miles on the two shorter runs for the week.
          Since you only have a month you want to be careful not to overdo it. Try to go 4 days a week. That's only 1 extra day in two weeks if you think of it that way. Maybe do 4-5 on 3 of the days and 8-10 on the other. That will get you in the low to mid 20's for mileage. The key is to run them easy. Don't worry about speed. I mean "being able to carry on a conversation" easy. Like I said before just get the time on your feet.

Not at it at all. 

Thanks again, but what is your opinion on running two days in a row? I have heard conflicting opinions on that, and have tried to stay away from it to try and avoid injury.... since I know I am still a really new runner and don't have a great base. Thanks!

Prince of Fatness

Thanks again, but what is your opinion on running two days in a row?
              I think you'll be OK. You are only doubling up once a week. Just run at an easy pace. Double up your short runs. A week might look like OFF-4-4-OFF-5-OFF-9. And by all means if you feel run down back off of the schedule. They're not carved in stone. Running on consecutive days won't hurt you unless you try to hammer all of your runs. Don't think of as too much. Think of it as too much, too fast.

Not at it at all. 

Thanks again. I am a creature of habit.... I guess I am going to have to change up my schedule a bit.... and it really is overdue. I, for some time, have run Tue, Thur, Sat, and did weight training on Mon, Wed, Fri. When I have tried to run multiple days in a row I have always tried to add it Wednesday which has always made me go three in a row and over-do it by the time I was done on Thursday. I think I like what you have suggested, I will have to modify and start next week because I have to do my long runs on Saturday, so I will plan on next week doing: Mon: 4 Tue: 4 Wed: off Thur: 5 Fri: off Sat: 9 Sun: off Or something similar. I did a faster run this morning, and probably shouldn't have. I did a 5k at 5k race pace. I am not hurting at all, but I need to remember what I told my neighbors when they asked me to do a 5k race this weekend - nope, I am focussed on my HM now, and need to not run hard, and just put miles in.... funny how I told them that, knowing what I was talking about, but doing just the opposite. Sad Sometimes I confuse myself Smile