Half Marathon Trainers

Fall 2017 Running (Read 25 times)

jeffdonahue

The 7 race series I am looking at is all the New England states plus New York, but they have series' just like this all over the US.  Check out

http://mainlymarathons.com/

I think at each venue, they also do Marathons, 10K and 5K series as well.

I think it will be a cool challenge, though the most challenging part may be the drive from state to state each day. 

My daughter talked me into doing a 5K with her for charity last weekend.  I was hesitant because I did one in August for a friend's memorial race and it hurt and it was really slow (for me at least).  This one was very encouraging though.  My pace was a minute and a half faster per mile than August and my legs and hip felt really good.  I had a 6 miler scheduled for that day so I actually ran a nice slow 3 miles to get to the race start - maybe that loosened me up and helped.  Did some extra stretching and core work later that day, but things are still progressing well and I've been able to get a few more 3-4 milers in this week.

It almost got my hopes up that I might be able to do some speed work for next month's HM, but I'll probably still just keep to the easy stuff.  I really want to heal more than I want to try to PR.

hog4life

The 7 race series I am looking at is all the New England states plus New York, but they have series' just like this all over the US.  Check out

http://mainlymarathons.com/

I think at each venue, they also do Marathons, 10K and 5K series as well.

I think it will be a cool challenge, though the most challenging part may be the drive from state to state each day. 

My daughter talked me into doing a 5K with her for charity last weekend.  I was hesitant because I did one in August for a friend's memorial race and it hurt and it was really slow (for me at least).  This one was very encouraging though.  My pace was a minute and a half faster per mile than August and my legs and hip felt really good.  I had a 6 miler scheduled for that day so I actually ran a nice slow 3 miles to get to the race start - maybe that loosened me up and helped.  Did some extra stretching and core work later that day, but things are still progressing well and I've been able to get a few more 3-4 milers in this week.

It almost got my hopes up that I might be able to do some speed work for next month's HM, but I'll probably still just keep to the easy stuff.  I really want to heal more than I want to try to PR.

This is very smart IMO!

hog4life

I got in 9.4 miles in the rain. The outer bands of hurricane Nate have reached northern Bama. I’m just 2 weeks out now from doing MCM. I feel a bit undertrained, but also feel I’ll survive. I’m not looking to set no PR or anything, just wanting to have a good time with my rider and enjoy the sights of DC. I’ve got one more longish run planned for Tuesday with hopes to get about 16-18 mikes, after that, it’s all shorter and easy runs for the taper.

Tiger Rag

Not sure what I'm doing now. Got a race in November (10k) and some parkrun. Looking at half marathons for next year though.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Today it was a crazy run. 76* with wind 25 gusting to 32mph. The wind isn't that odd, but that temp is very warm for this time of year. Seasonal would be more in the neighbourhood of 54* for the daytime high. So I did a solid 5 miler which was tough in the wind but pretty good despite it. I don't have any races for a while either. Santa Shuffle 5K in December (with my daughter so I don't set pace) and Resolution Run in January to start off the year which can be very social and less speedy than usual. Right now, I guess running is about remembering why I like it and enjoying not being tied to a training plan, the flexibility that gives me to run longer or shorter.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

hog4life

I got in 9.1 miles on Wednesday, and started my trip to DC for the Marathon. Looking forward to running this, but also looking forward to it being over!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Running is that love-hate dichotomy sometimes. Have a blast in DC, HL! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

Running is that love-hate dichotomy sometimes. Have a blast in DC, HL! Smile

The logistics for this one are staggering! And to add to the misery, all the Ainsley’s Angels logistics are completely different! It’s like trying to follow two sets of rules.

hog4life

I finished in 5:31:47, and boy was it hot!! There were so many people, I’m not sure I’ll ever do that one again.

I finished in 5:31:47, and boy was it hot!! There were so many people, I’m not sure I’ll ever do that one again.

I was there too and I KNoW I will never do it again!! The race itself moved me in ways I never imagined - so very emotional!! My training had been hindered with a couple of injuries during the year, but the nail in the coffin was the horrible cough I had for the last 2 weeks before the race. I was so sick and it drained me way more than I anticipated!! The sun and heat really did me in and by mile 18ish the bridge really beat me up. Survival, finishing and not ending up in the med tent became my goal - along with thanking every marine I could along the route!!

1/2 marathons and triathlons - yep that's where it's at for me!!

denise

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Nice work, guys! Those hot and crowded races are tough for sure. Smile

Denise, are you over the damn coughing now? That's the worst!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

I finished my HM today in 2:23:26, which is my second slowest. No big deal bc I wasn't racing this anyways. Next weekend is another HM where the Angels are not participating, so I'll get to run as fast as I want. However, I need this to be a fairly long run day so, I'll be adding miles before and after.

jeffdonahue

Another test for my leg and hip this weekend.  My HM is only 2 and a half weeks away, and I am signed up for the Falmouth in the Fall race this weekend - 7 miles.  I did the same race this summer (though it was really hot, weather should be nice this weekend, in the 50s) and just trying to run pain free I ran a 1:05:38 (9:23 pace).  Not trying to actually kill it this weekend but I'd like to get down closer to 8:30 pace for this weekend to give me a bit more confidence for the HM.

Overall the leg and hip have been feeling much better.  I've been able to get more and more distance in each week (no speedwork, just easy running) which included a 10 miler (ok, my hip was a bit stiff after that one) and several 4-5 milers each week as well.

hog4life

I’ve got another HM tomorrow called the Huntsville Half. This was my very first HM back in 2011, and will be the 4th time to run it. It’s local and put on by the local track club, and it’s cheap, at $26 for early registration. I have not been training to race, so not sure of what to expect. I really need to get in about 20 miles, so I might try to split it up and run the race at tempo with a WU and CD.

hog4life

I’ve got another HM tomorrow called the Huntsville Half. This was my very first HM back in 2011, and will be the 4th time to run it. It’s local and put on by the local track club, and it’s cheap, at $26 for early registration. I have not been training to race, so not sure of what to expect. I really need to get in about 20 miles, so I might try to split it up and run the race at tempo with a WU and CD.

I showed up way too early for the race. It has always started at 7:00, but this year(or last), they moved it to 8:00. I did a 5.1 mile WU and timed it perfect, made it back to the start line at 6:45 and cars were still piling in like crazy. Oops! I sat in the car for a few minutes drinking water and some Nuun. Decided to go back out for a few more miles, so did 3. I started the race at a tempo pace and it only lasted to the 6 mile marker, then had to start a run/walk, and finished in 2:22:16 and 21.2 miles for the day!  I made a couple mistakes with this plan. First, I didn't fuel and hydrate leading up to the day like I needed to. Secondly, it was way to hot at 75 degrees which further complicated the fuel and hydration. And thirdly, maybe I should have kept all the miles easy instead of pushing myself after 8 miles.