Half Marathon Trainers

September (Read 20 times)

Thanks - mom  is recovering well. She's practicing walking with a cane already. My plan is to be as fit and active at her age 71 to weather any storms that come along.

Happy race weekend Mitch and Meg, I'll check in next week to hear about your adventures, A

Recalculating...

hog4life

Thanks for the wonderful support of this group. I had a very good race, aside from the nasty spill I took on the pavement while doing my WU. I busted up my elbow, have a large spot of road rash on my thigh, and rolled my ankle. I'm honestly surprised I was able to run, my ankle has really swollen(been icing). Finish time was 1:51:55, which is just 22 seconds off my PR. I'll do up a RR with more details soon.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Nice job, Mitch, especially considering you were racing banged up.

It's going to be a hot run this afternoon. 28*C or 84* for the 5k with my daughter. It's likely run the first mile and run/walk the rest. She's 8 and it's just fun to be on a race course with her. Tomorrow is the half. Supposed to drop to 10*C (50*F) overnight and 15*C to 18*C for the race tomorrow (or 59*F to 64*F if you like that better). No wind in tomorrow's forecast either so looks pretty comfortable for the half. Pretty damn nervous, but I don't think a PR is out of the question if I can dig into the mental strength I've found in training this summer. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

hog4life

Good luck Meg, hope it goes as planned.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

5K went very well. My daughter set the pace and determined the walk breaks. She's 8; I want her to enjoy it and not be bogged down in the numbers. I want it to be about the doing. That said, PR by 6:24 which is huge! Her pace was pretty even with the second 2 miles almost the same. I'm very proud of her. If I could ever get her to train, I think she'd be blowing away my 5K PR. She had a good time and that made it even better for me. Now I am excited about tomorrow's half; today's race burned off the nervous. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

erinr

Oh no, Mitch!  That sounds like crummy timing on the fall.  I almost did that the day before a race a couple months ago.

Sounds like fun, Meg!  Hope your half went well today.

I did an easy 14.5 this morning.  With the cooler weather the past few weeks, my "easy" pace has probably dropped 20-30 seconds per mile, which is nice Smile  Two weeks until the Chicago Half.

hog4life

Lots of rest, ice, and elevating today. From the looks of it, I'm not sure how I even raced with it. I'm thinking I might need an Xray....

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Ouch! Adrenalin likely helped you finish. Take care of that ankle.

The QCM half today wasn't my best race and I will likely write a proper race report. It started with a crazy bottleneck (25 minutes to go 0.70 miles) and jumping out of the truck almost a mile from the race site and rushing with a ton of other runners to get to the starting line. It was a wild sight. (New start location this year, major traffic snarl as about 5000 runners were trying to get down one street to the site due to road closures.) I got to the start with about 15 seconds to spare. I had a tough race, walked more than I wanted to. Wind came up midrace to 33 gusting to  45kph which was awful, temps was mostly good. Chatted with Double Agent on the course and later he helped with a few kind words at a time I was really struggling which was cool. Course PR due to new course. 28 seconds slower than my QCM best finish. (28 seconds?! Seriously?! But the fact it was that close and I was struggling late tells me I can do better.) About 3 minutes behind my half PR (bc I had one of those most amazing days ever when I PR'd last October). I had a 2 hour nap and my legs are still feeling pretty trashed. I'm still processing it.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Back in Halifax.

Mitch - give us an update on that puffy ankle - I hope its feeling better by now.

Meg - a good race time for us. I think your training shows you can be a drop faster but each day is an individual experience. Was the course better or worse?

Ekat - Ack! Im in Chicago race weekend to visit my sister but my flight home is early sunday morning. I will have to cheer you on from the air.

Resting today, happy tuesday, A

Recalculating...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Back in Halifax.

Mitch - give us an update on that puffy ankle - I hope its feeling better by now.

Meg - a good race time for us. I think your training shows you can be a drop faster but each day is an individual experience. Was the course better or worse?

Yes, Mitch, we'd like an update. Smile

A, the course no longer goes out to a block from my house where my husband and kids used to wait to see me go past. I missed that. They changed the course I'm pretty sure because there's an overpass to get out to this end of town and two way traffic on the sidewalk creates a bottleneck if someone stops to walk. The course lost the small hill near the finish; it's a bump more than a hill but after 13 miles feels like a small hill. I think the changes are probably better, but at the same time, is some of it the novelty of a different course?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

Went to doctor, he thinks a sprain, but I will feel better with an x-ray so he ordered it and will go on Thursday.

erinr

Ekat - Ack! Im in Chicago race weekend to visit my sister but my flight home is early sunday morning. I will have to cheer you on from the air. 

Ha, thanks!  I'm starting to get nervous...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Ha, thanks!  I'm starting to get nervous...

You got this! You've put the work in. Go!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Well some bad news and good news.

Bad news - after an ill advised hot and slow 30 mile week in New York, the hamstring / back issue is not getting any better. I rested - from running -  otherwise really busy -  last week and I'm hoping to see the PT soon. But I think its unrealistic to race on October 11th. I could slog around the course but I think that would make me unhappy.

Good news - I had a nice (slow) run this morning. It was cool 10*C and still, predawn and beautiful. I'm sure I can keep running on a reduced schedule through the fall. I have a couple more short trips but then I'm looking forward to some quiet repair in October and November.

Happy monday, A

Recalculating...

hog4life

A, sorry to hear about the back/hamstring,  hope it is doing better.

Well, I haven't really run since my half due to my ankle. It is finally feeling much better, so maybe I'll try an easy 3 tmrw.