Half Marathon Trainers

half marathon trainers - March '08 (Read 627 times)

wbertha

Mary, are you out there? Did you and yours do the Shamrock Shuffle? Tried to look for you but there were just too many people. It took me 64 seconds longer to finish this year's 5k than it did last year. However, considering that the course was a constant 200 feet up and down with only the very beginning and the turn around flat as opposed to last years course which was very flat by comparison, I was pleased with my time. Plus for the first time ever in a race, I was able to run negative splits. I went out rather conservatively for the first mile knowing about the hills and that I had not done any hills in recent runs. Second mile was 20 seconds faster than the first and the third mile was 20 seconds faster than the second. The .1 was pretty much a sprint at least by my standards. Passed 3 people in the last 1/4 mile and it felt good. I think that my pacing for once was pretty good as I was pretty much spent at the finish line. But it felt like a good, hard effort. Met up with DH and DS who were cheering and DD who did the 2 mile walk after the race. Then went out for brunch (yummy pancakes) to celebrate DD's birthday and anyway, I felt like I earned them. Took Monday off as a rest day. Did 4 miles yesterday and the run went well. Did a 5 mile tempo run tonight and right now the legs a very tired. Have a 4 mile easy run scheduled for tomorrow. I was hoping to get outside for my long run this weekend but apparently winter is not over yet Cry The weather forecast is calling for 3 to 6 inches of snow. wbertha

Me and the boys

Simon/Jules-thanks so much, i felt fine, but thought I had heard sometihng about the salt/dried sweat stuff before, but never experienced it. Simon, read in your profile that you worried about knee problems from the earlier years. Do you have problems now that you are running? I blew my knee a few years ago and had ACL replacement and MCL/miniscus repair. I find that my knee bothers me LESS when I am running consistantly.
      -Misty "I would rather try and die, than live and wonder."
        Bertha, nice run, great pacing! Misty, no, I have had shin splints when i tried to do too much running before I was ready for it, this was last summer, but no knee problems, or any other kind really. Whether from luck, better shoes or running slower I don't know. I do sometimes (when I remember) take Glucosamine for joints but Not sure it makes any difference. Mr PH, you are really making a good, consistent effort. i am sure your reward will be excellent times this spring, I admire your dedication! I have been sidelined by stomach flu, then ordinary seasonal flu, so have really been slacking. trying to get back on track now but coughing hard when I try to run, and very weak. I have only done 5 runs since late February. I expect to do more over the Easter weekend, but am scaling back my expectations for finishing times in April and May. Oh well! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

jules2

Simon I took Glucosamine but stopped a while ago and haven't noticed any difference. I think its just a question of genetics not only in respect of your joints but also your gait, I have friends who seem to float over the ground whereas other people stamp or scuff their feet. You can overcome this to a certain extent by running on gravel and trying to run as quietly as possible, sounds crazy but it has worked for some people I have helped. I discovered this one day when out running with the stunning Jules1 who is 4 / 5 stone lighter than me but when we were on gravel she made more noise than I did.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I think its just a question of genetics not only in respect of your joints but also your gait, I have friends who seem to float over the ground whereas other people stamp or scuff their feet.
            LOL, my fast son didn't get my genes, then! He floats and I stamp and/or scuff. Big grin
            wbertha

Definitely not a floater here. lol But thanks for the tip about trying to run noiselessly on gravel. If we ever get rid of winter, I would like to try that. Did 4 slow easy miles on the treadmill last night or at least they were supposed to be easy. It's interesting that sometimes my easy runs seem harder to complete than my tempo runs. Any way got a cramp in my left knee and one in my right hip about 1 mile into the run. I am sure that at that point, my gait and form were picture perfect??? Today is a day off work for me and a rest day. However, my life plan calls for doing laundry and cleaning house before the holiday. Simon, hope you are feeling better. Good runs to all. wbertha

Prince of Fatness

Tempo run this morning. 2.2 miles warmup 5 miles @ 7:35 2 miles cooldown Real happy with this run considering that we had a wind advisory.
                Mr PH, you are really making a good, consistent effort. i am sure your reward will be excellent times this spring, I admire your dedication!.
                Thanks for the compliment.

Not at it at all. 

Mr.PHin you will do great in Allentown. Probably under 1:40, What's your goal?

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

wbertha

Did my long slow run today. Got in 8 miles outside. It wasn't too bad, about 33 degrees with some wind but it just felt good to be out. Going to try to get a short 3 miler in tomorrow before the festivities. We will see. Happy Easter to all! wbertha

Prince of Fatness

Mr.PHin you will do great in Allentown. Probably under 1:40, What's your goal?
                      You guessed it right, I'm shooting for sub 1:40. I think I have a good chance to make it. This will be my 5th year in a row running the race, so I know what to expect. Thanks.

Not at it at all. 

ohanapecosh

13.1 miles today. My running partner, who refuses to run in a race, wanted to be able to say he'd run the full distance, so we upped today's run from 12 to 13.1. It was probably good mentally for me, too, to have run the full distance. Anyway, I definitely had issues staying mentally in the game for the first half. I tend to really mentally psych myself out for runs 10 miles or more. The second half went fine, and overall it was a good run. As for the 1/3 rule, I'm no expert, but I do try to target achieving that. I find I'm less intimidated by weekend long runs if I've done more than 50% of the distance a couple of times during the week. (ie, a couple 7 milers for a weekend run of 11 or 12 miles.) Also, targetting <33% definitely helps motivate me to get my midweek runs in. however, sometimes it just doesn't happen (like the last couple of weeks!) and i agree with others that it's really important to get that long run in regardless. definitely="" helps="" motivate="" me="" to="" get="" my="" midweek="" runs="" in.="" however,="" sometimes="" it="" just="" doesn't="" happen="" (like="" the="" last="" couple="" of="" weeks!)="" and="" i="" agree="" with="" others="" that="" it's="" really="" important="" to="" get="" that="" long="" run="" in=""></33% definitely helps motivate me to get my midweek runs in. however, sometimes it just doesn't happen (like the last couple of weeks!) and i agree with others that it's really important to get that long run in regardless.>
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Got my long run (PR) of 8.6 miles in today, on the treadmill. Almost to the 2/3 point of an HM!! It was hard, but I never felt as if I had to stop. DS did 12 miles on the TM next to me, but finished about 7 minutes sooner. Afterwards, he made sure I got something to eat and drink. Another fun day with him! Pinwheel, thanks for your thoughts. Sounds good - I will try to get the miles in during the week, but if I don't, I won't skip the long run.

Prince of Fatness

14.5 this morning, giving me 41 for the week. Happy Easter to all.

Not at it at all. 

29.4 miles this week with a couple of good quality runs this week. 6 weeks til my half. Mr. PH, I did Allentown in 2004-5&6 1:44:46 in 2004 was my best time. Couldn't make it last year, this year I got a brother getting married, again. My wife has a brother there so I'll be back for it one of these years.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

marflair

Hi all! Bertha, I was surprised how many people were at the Shuffle. I didn't see you or Kevin - boo! Looked for deer antlers! I ran a very slow race - it was dh's first 5K and we took it very easy with walk breaks up the biggest hills. He is now hooked on racing and is trying to gear up for the Crazy Legs (8K) at the end of April. I have been fighting a cold, now sinus infection, all week and have not worked at all. Tried a short run on Friday - only did a mile before I gave up. I am going to the clinic tomorrow to get some meds as this isn't clearing up on it's own. A sub 1:40 half - wow!! I would love to do a sub 2:40 half. Glad everyone else is getting running in. And I am definitely not a floater! Mary