Half Marathon Trainers

April (Read 44 times)

hog4life

12 mile LR completed, now my feet are hurting.

an amazing likeness

Hi everyone, a bit of  a drive-by posting at lunch, sorry for letting things drag out in the last few weeks with calendar and racing threads, I expect to be back normally for a while.

On the running front...made some progress. A few weeks ago, I hobbled through a 5K to test my leg and fitness and it wasn't pretty. It took at least a week to recover....and only last week had a pain-free run.  Yesterday I entered a 5-miler on a lark and actually ran pretty strong, hampered by some hamstring cramping and tightness from about 3mi to finish, so had to manage gait and stride really carefully.  But actually feel ok today, and anxious to see what tonight's (I'm an evening runner...) run brings for recovery indicators.

Even with a lot of cross-training, the loss of fitness from 4 months of light running schedule is pretty amazing -- yesterday's race was just about HM pace or a bit faster,  but it took 5K effort to do it.....uggh.

Hope to get a longer run, over 10mi, this coming weekend. If so, will be first since Dec 8th.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Nice race Zelanie-1:56, well done!

Welcome Fran. Congratulations on getting back into running, if you have a question about anything just ask!

Milk Truck, keep plugging away, you have overcome problems before, you will get there.

Last two workouts for me: yesterday 10.6 miles easy, today 3.5 miles warmup, then 10x400m at a 1:38 average (about 6:35 pace).

Tough workout.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Rse

Mitch - nice 12. Hope the feet feel better today.

MilkTruck - I hope this evening's run find you on the mend.

SimonR - Thanks for the offer. I'm sure I'll have questions soon

Today - I did my :30 wog.  I'm just in Couch-to-basebuilding for the next several months.

Fran

hog4life

I took a rest day today and my feet are feeling better. I really wanted to run for Boston, but will race on Saturday instead. Stuff like that makes me very sad.

There will be an inaugural HM here local in Sept that I'm going to sign up for, cost is just $40, and it's limited to 300 runners. There is also one local in Oct and Nov that I'll be signing up for. All of these will be in prep for me doing my first full in Dec.

That sounds like a very low entry fee, Mitch, I think I paid twice that for my half. (Coming up on May 5th, so I am getting a little anxious as I have done so little training for it.)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Mitch, are you familiar with the Nashville races?  We always wanted to visit Nashville and were thinking of going in November for the Hard Rock race, or next April for the RnR.  I believe Hard Rock is much smaller, but that might make the nightlife a little easier to navigate.  Thanks...

Snickers1230

Welcome Fran!

Planning on maybe getting out to the gym tonight.  If I do, it'll be my first run all week.  I've been battling this cough/congestion thing all week, but am feeling better today.  But I might watch a movie with my sicker husband instead Smile  We'll see.

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

hog4life

Mitch, are you familiar with the Nashville races?  We always wanted to visit Nashville and were thinking of going in November for the Hard Rock race, or next April for the RnR.  I believe Hard Rock is much smaller, but that might make the nightlife a little easier to navigate.  Thanks...

Jerry, I'm about 1.5 hours south of Nashville, but have not done any of the races there. I almost signed up for the RnR last year but decided not to. I have running friends that race there often. A lot of the runs finish in the big stadium, and that would be cool.

Ran 10 miles today, first loop at fairly easy pace, second fairly hard, about 85 minutes total.

I had been planning to do a long run today but got called into work for a while; I am taking a rest day tomorrow then running trails with my son on Sunday. We also have to  pack up some of his stuff as he is moving at the end of the month.

Jerry we do not have RnR races up here in Canada as far as I know. I have the impression they are big on promotion of the events but maybe not as strong on the organisation side. I am sure there has been a lot of discussion about them.

HappyFeat

I had a lot of post-race soreness this past week, but went ahead with my planned 10-miler yesterday. It should have been alright - except I tripped on an unseen rock at about 4.5 miles in. In saving myself from falling, I injured my left hamstring or some related muscle where they attach to the top of the femur.  The hamstring was already tight and painful for the last few weeks, but the pain when I tripped was through the roof. Being me - after the world stopped spinning and the adrenalin rush and the pain subsided - I continued on. I did my yoga/pilates workout today to test the waters. Except for not being able to keep the leg "straight" while bending forward (due to pain) and can't fully activate the muscle without pain - it doesn't seem as bad as I feared. I'll go for a 3-mile walk today and see how it feels tomorrow before I decide whether to run.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Snickers1230

Hope it's feeling better today HappyFeat!

Did a 4.7 mile progression run yesterday.  Probably the longest run I've done since my last half with hurting my toe and then being sick.  I have a 10K this weekend.  I think I might be able to PR if the weather cooperates, but if it's as hot and humid as it was last year, it might be difficult

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

HappyFeat

Hope it's feeling better today HappyFeat!

Haven't run since Saturday's eventful trail run due to injured hamstring. Soooooo frustrated over it.  It's better every day, but even yesterday there was no question that I couldn't run. I've been walking an hour every day instead. I want to try it out tonight, but common sense says wait another day.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Snickers1230

Haven't run since Saturday's eventful trail run due to injured hamstring. Soooooo frustrated over it.  It's better every day, but even yesterday there was no question that I couldn't run. I've been walking an hour every day instead. I want to try it out tonight, but common sense says wait another day.

Yes, probably best to give it another day.  I'm glad it is feeling better though.

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

an amazing likeness

Geez...hamstrings problems seem to be everywhere on RA lately.  Take care of it. Stop on the first twinge and walk it in!.  That's my advice...based on 5 months trying to get mine to heal.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.