Los Angeles

Nikerun (Read 424 times)

I run for Fried Chicken!

Figured I'll start a new thread so I wouldn't threadjack the other one. Who all is doing the Nikerun this year? I'm running it and I got my sister to sign up. It's her first race ever. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to race it or just run with her since it's her first time.
      I am running the Disneyland Half that day. Bob http://bobrunner.blogspot.com
        Hey, I am thinking about running this race. It will be my first 10K though, so I am a little nervous. The website for Nike seems totally incomprehensible. I have even email the race director to try to get some more info. I wish I could know what the course is going to be before I run it. But according to the director they don't even know what it is yet because of construction. I am nervous that it will not be very organized. Do you think my worries are unfounded? Should I run it anyway?
          All of Nike's websites are horrible, it seems. It is hard for me to believe that this race won't work out-there will be a ton of people all over the world, and LA seems to be the focal point race. Also, the RHW races in the past apparently were a lot of fun-I've never done one as it is too many people for me. This may be a good first 10k because it will be more about having fun than racing.

I run for Fried Chicken!

I did the run last year and it was my first race ever. Didn't have any issues with it, it was a 5 mile though, slightly shorter. The race was well organized, didn't have any problems. Had a great time last year. I think the biggest difference this year is that it's at night, the other one was in the morning. Also, the cut off is faster than last years. I think you need to run 12 min miles before they reopen the street this year. I don't think there was a limit last year.
              Hey, thanks for the replies. I did finally find a page with some good info, and you're right. They are opening the streets back up after an hour and 15 min. That is going to be cutting it way close for me. My fastest 5K a month ago was 38 min. I might sign up and do it anyway. Seems they will have slower people move to the sidewalk to finish. Plus I have a month still, maybe I will get faster by then. Big grin

#artbydmcbride

Hey Dragon76, do you want to do the LB Nike training runs? We could meet up there. Smile

Runners run

So how does the race work? it seems like theres tons of all this extra stuff going on and i just can't figure it out!!
                    They are opening the streets back up after an hour and 15 min.
                    are they opening ALL the streets? Or just starting with the beginning? that seems incredibly aggressive, especially given how large the nike races end up. I've heard a lot of stories about being forced to walk due to crowds. I'd be really surprised if they kicked you off the street itself after only 75 mins. yfmf-not sure how the particulars of this race work. my guess is follow the crowds, don't plan on running a great time, have fun, and listen to music at the end.

I run for Fried Chicken!

I've only done one of the Nike runs and that was last years and that's also the only race I've ever done. It was definitely crowded but it wasn't that bad. I had to weave in and out a little bit but I also started towards the end of the crowd. They also definitely kept the streets closed for a lot longer this year. Maybe because they are doing it at night this year, they might have more restrictions on time?

Jazz hands!

I'm running this! It's actually my first race ever, and if they really reopen all the streets after 1:15, there's no way I'm gonna make it. I'm slow. Still excited though
                        run run run AHHHHHH run run run

Jazz hands!

Crap. I thought I could pick up my race packet today at the Niketown in BH... no. Today you can only pick up in Torrance. WTF?
                          run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                            I hate having to go to packet pick up. Torrance is a bit out of the way, too. Unless you live in Torrance. Good luck tomorrow, though!