Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 5/17/13 - Happy Friday! (Read 12 times)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

May:

Docket_Rocket -  5/18 -Women for Women 10K

SprinklesRunner - 5/19 - Run for the Red Marathon

Julia1971 - 5/19 - Capitol Hill Classic 10K

Runmomto3boys - 05/20 - Green Bay Marathon

Julia1971 - 5/26 - Alexandria Running Festival Half Marathon

CompetitiveChik - 5/27 - Patriots Day Half Marathon - Goal 1:55

June:

Julia1971 - 6/8 - Lawyers Have Heart 10K

Docket_Rocket - 6/16 - San Francisco Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 6/16 - San Francisco Marathon

hilltopper91 - 6/21 - Media 5 Mile Race

BruceD555 - 06/22 - Grandma's Marathon

marco59 - 6/23 - Bay of Fundy Marathon

July:

Patti678- 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K: goal: PR

Not too Swift - 7/4 - Peachtree Road Race 10K

AthenaofAmerica - 7/6 Dirty Half Dozen 6-Hour Endurance Run

August:

Patti678 - 8/23 & 24- Hood to Coast- 199 mile relay with 10 person team

September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

Runmomto3boys - 10/6 - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

BruceD555 - 10/06 - Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

RVDowning - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

AthenaofAmerica - 10/19 - Folsom Blues Breakout Half Marathon

RVDowning - 10/26 - Silver Comet Marathon

not too swift - 10/27- Atlanta Marathon

ImNotScott - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

JackDyl11 - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 10/27 - Marine Corps Marathon

November:

BruceD555 - 11/02 - Indianapolis Monumental Marathon

Julia1971 - 11/3 - New York City Marathon

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

Julia1971

All in for Boston

I hope I'm not the only one happy it's Friday.  Smile

I was already planning to run in to work today (since I ran home yesterday) only to discover it's National Bike to Work Day!  The trails will be crowded but I hope it won't be a problem.

My sinuses are still bothering me.  The medicine I took last night didn't work.  I didn't have anything that was actually a decongestant.  I don't usually take the stuff since it makes me so drowsy.  I'm going to have tea this morning in hopes the heat will loosen things up up there.  TMI?

Hope everyone has a great day!

D_R, Hope you're feeling better and got a good meal last night.

BruceD555

I'm dragging tail this morning and definitely need more coffee ... day two of busy end-of-week-craziness at work. I did manage to get in 10+ miles last night but my Garmin battery died after about 8 1/2 and I didn't notice until I got home from the run. Then it was a quick shower and off to the high school for the variety show/final concert. DS was co-hosting the event and it was almost 11 by the time I finally got home. I'm back at work early this AM and hopefully can get in a rainy 5 mile run over lunch.

Julia1971- I hope you're feeling better today and the head clears up. I think I remember you saying you were in the DC area? I've run there before when in DC for work and I can only imagine the trails because it seems there are TONS of bike commuters on a normal day.

Train smart ... race smarter.

10 easy on the greenway yesterday after work and will probably do the same today.  I say "probably" because we are trying to capture a feral cat that needs some serious medical attention and that may preclude my run.

6 done in a rare morning run.  Have to cut grass after work today.

Extremely busy as Beth's countrymen are on the move for Queen Victoria weekend!

Bad Ass

Morning!  I will be spending most of the day in court.  Hoping for a good 6 miler and weights tonight.  10K race tomorrow and I will get to meet a fellow forumite (bobruns).

Julia, hope you feel better.  And I'm happy it's Friday too.

Bruce, enjoy the run later.  Sounds like a busy night yesterday.

RVD, awwww, hope the kitty gets into the trap and gets the medical attention she needs (you know me and animals).  Nice 10.

marco, I thought you were going to do 9 (from yesterday).  Still, nice 6.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Morning!  I will be spending most of the day in court.  Hoping for a good 6 miler and weights tonight.  10K race tomorrow and I will get to meet a fellow forumite (bobruns).

You run 6 miles the evening before a 10k race?  I usually take a couple of days off.

Bad Ass

Yeah, but I am not racing it.

My best performances have been when I run the night before.  A favorite workout of mine is 5 recovery miles with 6 X 100m strides.

You run 6 miles the evening before a 10k race?  I usually take a couple of days off.

Blog

Has Broken Parts

Hey folks. Life has been very busy this week! Work is yuck and lots of stuff to do at home. Just got back from a hilly 5 miler on my lunch break.  I've had enough of the office for one week but the 5 gallons of paint waiting for me at home don't exactly make me want to rush out the door.  Still, I think I'm going to bug out an hour early and try to get a jump on the painting.  I doubt I'll be able to get a long run in this weekend but may be able to squeeze in a few miles somewhere.

TTFN!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                    Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

PressingOn

Hi all!  I've had a productive day today.  Well, productive if we're only counting exercise and not what I should be doing for this yard sale.

I got 1800 yards in at the pool this morning and then had a nice 3 mile run in the rain.  I have so missed running in the rain.  It was great even if it was only 3 miles.  I even ran it a little bit faster than I was supposed to.  Oops.  Now, once I'm done posting here I will get back to purging and pricing stuff.

SIAR - No idea on the bike. I plan on going to the bike shop and asking the owner to "set me up" with a beginner bike (cause I'm not going crazy here), whatever that might be.  Since I'm on the tri team through his shop and my coach, I will get a discount which will help.  Do I recall you getting a bike off Craigs List?  I thought about that route but I am so clueless when it comes to bikes that I'm afraid to go that route.

Julia - Sorry your sinuses are all messed up and the meds didn't work. Good luck with the tea.

Bruce - I cannot believe you didn't notice your Garmin died until after you got home. That is impressive. I check my watch far too often. Hope your ds did good at the variety show.

RVD - Will running after a feral cat count toward your run?

Marco - Hurray for your rare morning run.

Damaris - Have fun tomorrow at the 10K!

Scott - Work in the office or work at home, huh? I say go run instead!

Bad Ass

Thanks!

Taking a URD.  I'm just tired and got home just now, 1 hour later.  No time, no will.  LOL.

Blog

Julia1971

All in for Boston

My run in to work went okay.  I felt a little sluggish but am guessing that's due to the heat.  It's been pretty mild but the temps have been steadily rising.

Bruce, I hate when my Garmin dies during my run!  Did you just forget to charge it or is it dying?...  The trails weren't as bad as I thought they would be.  I did see a woman being helped on the side on the trail by some fellow bikers.  When I passed, I saw them applying pressure to her chin and some droplets on blood on the trail. Sad  Hopefully she was okay.  Running downtown can be pretty scary, though.  I did yell at a driver, "You have to yield!!!!"  As she turned left while I was mid-way through the intersection.  I know I should not engage the bad drivers but this is an improvement.  Usually I give them the finger.  Smile

RVD, You are good to try to help the cat.

Marco, Now I have to Google what Queen Victoria weekend is.

D_R, Good luck tomorrow.  I saw you replied to my question about the race but forgot to say I thought the race seems awesome!  I've read other people like to run the night before a race so I experimented with running the late afternoon before the Nike Half.  I can't say I felt a difference but I may try it again tomorrow for my race on Sunday.

Scott, Get that painting (and all other household projects) done before the end of June!

Pressing, I hope the yard sale goes well and you get rid of a lot of stuff.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Eh, no run for me today.  I wasn't good about getting it in very early.  I only worked half the day, then I tilled the garden, mowed my own yard, and the church yard too.  That was about 8 hours activities that I enjoy very little!  One of my friends from D.C. is coming in for the weekend to see her parents, so I wanted to get some of this stuff out of the way so we could hang out for a bit when she has time.

Julia...Glad the work run worked out okay for you.  Have you ever tried one of those Netty Pot deals?  Personally, I'm not into the idea of stuffing stuff up my nostrils, but I know some people swear by the thing.  Your bad driver behavior sounds funny.  I wouldn't have pictured you as the finger giving kind of gal.  I usually opt for the stare of death, or the exasperated hand toss.

Bruce...Sounds like a fun event last evening, although I'm sure you would have liked it had it started a few hours sooner!  My Garmin really gets unhappy when the battery goes dead - doesn't want to upload afterward, won't connect, etc.  Have you had that trouble?

RVD...Hopefully between the cat chasing or your actual run you got a good workout.

Marco...Just 6?  I'm disappointed.  I wanted to see how long you could go with the ascending runs.  You should definitely blame any bad Canadian behavior on Beth.

Docket...Good luck with the 10k tomorrow.  Hope the FE works out too and that he's not crazy haha.

Scott...I wouldn't be rushing home to paint either.  Not only do I hate doing it, but I'm horrible at it.  Good luck getting some miles in.

Pressing...You've come so far with your swimming.  1800 yards is awesome.  It seems like just a few weeks ago you were doing just the face in the water breathing exercises.  I'm glad you enjoyed your rain run.  I think my 3 would have been on the TM had those conditions been mine.  You did remember correctly - my bike was from Craigslist.  I really had no idea what I was looking at when I started either, but it didn't really take too much research to figure out the hierarchy of components, brands, and all that kind of stuff.  Basically it seems like for the same price you can either get an older bike that's a better model on CL, or you can get a new bike that's a more basic model at the store.  The nice thing about the store is that they'll fit it exactly to you and you'll also likely get some type of service plan where you can get tune-ups for a while.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Yes, I have a saline rinse bottle.  The last time I used it when I was this congested, it made my ears pop something terrible so now I'm afraid.  I did find some prescription strength decongestant in my medicine cabinet from few years ago that I'm going to try. Wink  LOL re your profile of me.  I'm nice up and until the point where you try to kill me.  Then, I'm like Uma Thurman's character in Kill Bill  Smile

Julia...Glad the work run worked out okay for you.  Have you ever tried one of those Netty Pot deals?  Personally, I'm not into the idea of stuffing stuff up my nostrils, but I know some people swear by the thing.  Your bad driver behavior sounds funny.  I wouldn't have pictured you as the finger giving kind of gal.  I usually opt for the stare of death, or the exasperated hand toss.

BruceD555

OK, so I'm cheating by catching up on Saturday morning but oh well. I did manage to get in my run over lunch on Friday and the rain ended by mid morning and the sun came out to warm things up a bit by the time I got to run. Anyway, I did 6 hilly miles around the office and the legs felt a bit sluggish ... but I take that as lack of sleep and food over the past couple of days.

RVDowning- Nice work on the 10 on Thursday and hopefully you got that cat wrangled in so you could get in another 10 miles.

marco59- Excellent job on getting in the morning 6 ... I'm really going to need to work on moving my runs to the mornings as summer approaches.

Docket_Rocket- Sorry that you didn't get in those planned 6 miles, but good choice on taking it easy after a long tiring day.  Here's hoping the asthma stays away and you have a speedy and easy 10k.

ImNotScott- Ughhh, painting ... not one of my favorites. Sorry you're having a busy week too and I hope you can get some free time this weekend to get in a nice easy long run to clear the mind a bit.

PressingOn- Sounds like you had a double wet workout today ... swim & rain run. Wink I've actually been working to ignore my Garmin during the run and just go by feel. I'll keep track of pace over the first few miles but then just try to run by even effort. Unfortunately that's meant I've been running faster than I should for recovery runs but it could also mean fitness levels are continuing to improve.

Julia1971- Nice to hear that woman was getting some help on the trails.The Garmin is actually a bit of both ... I had forgotten to charge it - it was in my workout bag still - but the battery doesn't seem to be holding as much of a charge lately.

So_Im_a_Runner- Sorry you didn't get in the run but it does sound like you got quite a bit of cross-training done with all the mowing & gardening. I haven't had any uploading problems with the Garmin but like I said to Julia, I have noticed that the charge doesn't seem to hold for quite as long as it used to.

Train smart ... race smarter.