Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 1/9/13 (Read 175 times)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Thanks everyone for keeping my niece in your thoughts.  She's a tough, little fighter.

Scott, Wow, she's tall!  And, talented based on that picture.  I'm sure she'll have options for college.

RVD, Stalk away.  Just don't show up at my door unannounced.  Wink

Marco, Have you tried putting screws in your shoes?  I think I would probably still be anxious about my footing but I've read that people do that for snowy conditions.  Also, 1000 miles sounds like a lot.  Do you normally get that kind of mileage out of shoes?

D_R, Have fun with the recovery miles.  Have you done the Goofy before?  Are you nervous?  I'm asking all these questions because I'm supposed to be doing it next year with a friend.  Smile  She wanted me to do it this year - which now, would have been cool because I would get to meet you.  But since I was planning to run RnR USA, I thought it would be too close.

B.S., I imagine that's gotta hurt.  I hope the nerve works its way out.

SIAR, Refresh my memory - what plan are you doing again?  I'm trying to think about what moderate pace might mean.  I don't know about you but MP feels pretty darned hard to me.  You could be like me - a duffer in training that shows up on race day.  Smile ...  I've been running this type of mileage for about 2 years now.  I had a surgery in there where I was hobbled for a couple months.  And, there are some weeks where I was on vacation and couldn't run.  But, I've been pretty much motoring since I started marathoning in 2010.  The 100+ day streak was my training for Boston and I only took that day off because I felt I had to break the streak for my own mental health.  I trained so hard for that race.  I also trained very hard for NYCM.

Swift, Isn't it hard reigning yourself in?  Congrats on the 12+ miler.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...Without having the book in front of me, I'm really not sure which of the plans I'm using, but it's from Hudson's "Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon" book.  Okay, I just found it.  It's the Marathon Level 3 plan.  I completely agree that MP feels HARD to me, and moderate and  hard are terms that he uses as perceived efforts levels.  Still, I was a little worried that I'd been running the moderate progression runs at MP +20, so I looked around online to see what I could find.  Sure enough, the consensus was that moderate was about MP and hard was about HMP.  And, I am like you, a total duffer in training Smile  Seriously though, in sports I was never a great practice player, but always a heck of a competitor in games.  Were you the same way?

2 years at that level is a killer base for you, even with some stops.  We started marathon training about the same time, but I've unfortunately had longer breaks from the PF ruptures.  That's a bummer that your streaks and hard training went for tough luck races.  I hope this time really is the one for you.  Also, I agree completely about streaks starting to take a toll on your sanity more than anything else.

As for you thinking about doing Goofy, you could totally handle it on you mileage.  You may think about switching to some consecutive long runs, but as far as total volume, you already do more mileage than a lot of folks that successfully do ultras.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Julia...Without having the book in front of me, I'm really not sure which of the plans I'm using, but it's from Hudson's "Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon" book.  Okay, I just found it.  It's the Marathon Level 3 plan.  I completely agree that MP feels HARD to me, and moderate and  hard are terms that he uses as perceived efforts levels.  Still, I was a little worried that I'd been running the moderate progression runs at MP +20, so I looked around online to see what I could find.  Sure enough, the consensus was that moderate was about MP and hard was about HMP.  And, I am like you, a total duffer in training Smile  Seriously though, in sports I was never a great practice player, but always a heck of a competitor in games.  Were you the same way?

2 years at that level is a killer base for you, even with some stops.  We started marathon training about the same time, but I've unfortunately had longer breaks from the PF ruptures.  That's a bummer that your streaks and hard training went for tough luck races.  I hope this time really is the one for you.  Also, I agree completely about streaks starting to take a toll on your sanity more than anything else.

As for you thinking about doing Goofy, you could totally handle it on you mileage.  You may think about switching to some consecutive long runs, but as far as total volume, you already do more mileage than a lot of folks that successfully do ultras.

Okay, I have that book.  How did you make sense of it?  LOL!  I read pieces of it from time to time.  I got the sense that there's a lot of fast running in it.  So, I would guess his moderate pace is going to feel hard (compared to someone like Pfitz).  I will also say, for me, HMP also feels hard.  That's Pfitz' tempo pace and I struggle to run anything close to it in training.  I have a tempo scheduled tomorrow and am prepared to once again miss 15K-Half pace.

If something happens with RnR USA...  OMG.  I'm not even allowing myself to think about it.

Yes, I worry that people think I think I need to run this much to be a good marathoner.  I don't.  It's weird but I think I like high mileage training more than I like running marathons.  It's like marathoning gives me an excuse to run this much.  Which is why, for example, I didn't feel the need to find a make up when NYCM got cancelled.  Doing these workouts week after week is its own sick reward for me.  Smile

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I'm right with you about enjoying the training and the mileage.  I talk to you folks on here primarily because I, like you, don't really think it's that weird.  Or I do think it's weird but don't care....either way.  Still, for the purposes of Goofy, you'd be golden.

Maybe Hudson made sense to me because I've read the other books too so it wasn't that different?  Or, maybe it was because I only read it once, copied the pages I wanted, and then took it back to the library so I couldn't ponder anything in it for too long.  I don't know that it's really a lot of fast running.  Actually, I think it feels like less than Daniels.  Basically it's just taking a couple of your easy runs and running a little faster to finish them off.  Other than that, the plan seems to have the typical 2/3 quality sessions.  Still, HMP and MP are always going to feel like hard running for me I think.  That's just the way it is.

Don't think any bad thoughts for RnR USA...you're gonna be golden.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

I'm right with you about enjoying the training and the mileage.  I talk to you folks on here primarily because I, like you, don't really think it's that weird.  Or I do think it's weird but don't care....either way.  Still, for the purposes of Goofy, you'd be golden.

Maybe Hudson made sense to me because I've read the other books too so it wasn't that different?  Or, maybe it was because I only read it once, copied the pages I wanted, and then took it back to the library so I couldn't ponder anything in it for too long.  I don't know that it's really a lot of fast running.  Actually, I think it feels like less than Daniels.  Basically it's just taking a couple of your easy runs and running a little faster to finish them off.  Other than that, the plan seems to have the typical 2/3 quality sessions.  Still, HMP and MP are always going to feel like hard running for me I think.  That's just the way it is.

Don't think any bad thoughts for RnR USA...you're gonna be golden.

The thing with Hudson, though, is that it's supposed to be adaptive.  So, if you're tired or something, he gives advice on how you're supposed to change the workout that day to account for the fatigue.  Maybe I should send you my copy of the book because despite trying to read it, I never make it through a few pages.  Smile

I've been thinking very positive thoughts about RnR USA.  In fact, I think about the race on almost every run.  Mostly, I think about the last water stop - I think it's Mile 23sih - and the very encouraging women that have staffed it in the past.  I'm looking forward to saying, "Thank you" to them and then thinking about Boston and NYCM and then laying down the hammer.  Wink

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You're right with the adaptive part - I'm totally, purposefully doing it wrong ha.  I mean the plan is in there, and it looks great.  Eventually, I'd love to feel confident enough to make my own changes throughout the plan.  Right now, I really don't feel like I know enough to do that.  I think all the plans are a lot about picking 2-3 key workouts and then just filling in the miles for the rest of the week.  I'm just letting him do the picking for me at the moment.

I love that you're visualizing the last water stop for your race.  Saying thank you in that moment is also very thoughtful of you.  I spend half my runs daydreaming about crossing the finish line sub-3.  The latest iteration of my visual has me crossing the finish line, doing the superman pulling the shirt back from his chest maneuver that athletes do, and then screaming wildly.  I'm trying to promise myself that I'll never do this.

CompetitiveChik

Hey Guys, sorry I've been MIA lately. I've changed up my routine a bit as I usually do the week of my race. I've been sleepin in and gettin my short runs done in the evening after I get off. I come home, eat dinner, shower and go to bed.

I got 4 miles done tonight. very slow going

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

Julia1971

All in for Boston

You're right with the adaptive part - I'm totally, purposefully doing it wrong ha.  I mean the plan is in there, and it looks great.  Eventually, I'd love to feel confident enough to make my own changes throughout the plan.  Right now, I really don't feel like I know enough to do that.  I think all the plans are a lot about picking 2-3 key workouts and then just filling in the miles for the rest of the week.  I'm just letting him do the picking for me at the moment.

I love that you're visualizing the last water stop for your race.  Saying thank you in that moment is also very thoughtful of you.  I spend half my runs daydreaming about crossing the finish line sub-3.  The latest iteration of my visual has me crossing the finish line, doing the superman pulling the shirt back from his chest maneuver that athletes do, and then screaming wildly.  I'm trying to promise myself that I'll never do this.

Yeah, that might be a bit much.  My BFF and I have joked about a finish line pose.  Usually, I'm stopping my Garmin.  I've debated doing a peace sign a la Lindsay Lohan but think I can do better.  Let's think about this in the coming months.

Yes, I worry that people think I think I need to run this much to be a good marathoner.  I don't.  It's weird but I think I like high mileage training more than I like running marathons.  It's like marathoning gives me an excuse to run this much.  Which is why, for example, I didn't feel the need to find a make up when NYCM got cancelled.  Doing these workouts week after week is its own sick reward for me.  Smile

At some point in time, those of us who put in a lot of mileage seem to come to a realization that it is the training itself, the journey, that is actually the destination.  Races are more like restaurants along the highway where you stop for a bit, grab a bite, then get in your car and just keep going.

Sorry to wax philosophical so early in the morning.