Marathon Training Plans

Run a Full-Marathon Each Month (Read 282 times)

2011 Redding (CA)

More and more runners, in this the third-marathon boom, are attempting to run multiple full-marathons each year.  With ever increasing race opportunities closer to home, some runners are even tempted to run a full-marathon each month, or every several months.  Obviously this is possible, with proper training, but most running books are void of such programs.

Let me share a training program I've followed (with minor variations) for the past three years ... during which I've averaged 8 or more full-marathons per year and even a few PR races along the way.

In the weeks prior to the "marathon season" (Nov-Feb), I follow this cycle:

Mon = 11 miles;  Wed = 11 miles;  Fri = 18 miles;  Total = 40 miles
    Mon = 06 miles;  Wed = 06 miles;  Fri = 18 miles;  Total = 30 miles

Mon = 10 miles;  Wed = 10 miles;  Fri = 20 miles;  Total = 40 miles
    Mon = 07 miles;  Wed = 07 miles;  Fri = 16 miles;  Total = 30 miles

Mon = 09 miles;  Wed = 09 miles;  Fri = 22 miles;  Total = 40 miles
    Mon = 08 miles;  Wed = 08 miles;  Fri = 14 miles;  Total = 30 miles

Mon = 08 miles;  Wed = 08 miles;  Fri = 24 miles;  Total = 40 miles

Mon = 05 miles;  Wed = 05 miles;  Fri = 18 miles;  Total = 28 miles ... taper
    Mon = 05 miles;  Wed = 05 miles;  Fri = 12 miles;  Total = 22 miles ... taper
    Mon = 05 miles;  Wed = 05 miles;  Sat = Full-Marathon;  Total = 36 miles

Throughout the "marathon season" (Mar-Oct), I follow this cycle:

Mon = 05 miles;  Wed = 05 miles;  Fri = 12 miles;  Total = 22 miles ... recovery
    Mon = 05 miles;  Wed = 05 miles;  Fri = 18 miles;  Total = 28 miles ... taper
    Mon = 05 miles;  Wed = 05 miles;  Fri = 12 miles;  Total = 22 miles ... taper

This training program is build on several "principles" ... common to most of the books described on this web site.

1.  First, run (run/walk) the distance ... then, increase the speed (hold the pace for the distance).
    2.  The long run is the most important element of a training program.
    3.  Rest is the second most important element of a training program.

4.  Alternate workout intensity (distance, pace) between days and weeks (easy/hard/easy).
    5.  Taper for two weeks before a marathon.
    6.  Run slowly for one week after a marathon.

A final word of explanation, on a personal note.

1.  The schedule features 3 run days and 4 rest (cross-training) days because I'm over 60 years of age, and this works best for me.  Be careful about adding "junk" miles on the rest days, just to increase the weekly mileage.  A better approach would be to add the miles to existing days, and keep "rest" days exactly that.

2.  Winter months (Nov-Feb) are reserved for "aerobic" (base) training ... because I live in an area with lots of snow and lots of ice and the body needs a rest after months of racing.  Spring, Summer, and Fall months (Mar-Oct) are for running both full- and half-marathons.  You can "run" lots of marathons each year, but not all of them can be "raced"

3.  The 40-mile weeks are designed to "simulate" the marathon in distance run ... and also intensity (two light days, and then a heavy load on the long run).  Remember, the long run is the center-piece of the program, so get used to the miles you'll experience on race day.

4.  The 30-mile weeks are designed to "step back" ... or alternate between weeks.  Most of the elite programs call for a "step back" every third week, but they also are not designed for monthly (or so) marathons.

5.  I'll leave the choice of "pace" for you to decide.  I try to average no more than 15% anaerobic training each month, which means just a few of miles of "tempo runs" during the 30-mile weeks.  A "race pace +30 seconds" should keep you within the aerobic range on most training runs.

Experiment with different versions of these schedules ... and see what works best for you.  There is no "one best" training program.  Each of our bodies is a little bit different.

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Running is for the Birds 10Km (OR),  2011 Sunriver Marathon (OR)

Do you do all your marathons at max pace?  I find that a full effort marathon takes quite a while to recover from... but maybe I'll get used to them more with practice.

2011 Redding (CA)

Good question.  No ... I target just two (Spring) marathons for best (maximum) effort and then just enjoy the others.

Over the Winter months (Nov-Feb), I concentrate on building (re-building) the aerobic base with steady long distance runs.  Then in March, I add a little speed work with medium length tempo runs.  The first weekend in April features the Eugene (Oregon) Marathon on a flat (near sea level) course and the first weekend in May features the Newport (Oregon) Marathon on another flat (at sea level) course.  Training at 4,200 feet above sea level year around, these two courses are a true delight for racing.

My training between these two Spring marathons depends on how satisfied I am with the results.  If, for example, I did very well in Eugene, the next four weeks will include lots of recovery runs (no speed work).  If, on the other hand, I did poorly in Eugene, the next four weeks will include a bit more speed work (medium length tempo runs).  You must listen to the body but coming off a Winter of aerobic training, you can push the envelope a little bit.

For the remainder of the racing season (Jun-Oct) ... I enjoy "just running".  Elite coaches say we need 1 day of rest for every mile of a (hard) race.  That would translate to 26 days between marathons, which seems to work for me.  You'll run during that time, but at a more conservative pace.

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Running is for the Birds 10Km (OR),  2011 Sunriver Marathon (OR)