Marathon Training Plans

Shalane Flanagan (Read 223 times)

2011 Redding (CA)

Here is a "rising star" to follow in the coming years ... Shalane Flanagan.

http://www.flotrack.org/articles/view/3566-shalane-flanagan

She took the bronze medal in the Woman's 10Km at the 2008 (Beijing) Olympics and second place in the Woman's Division of the 2010 NYC Marathon.  A very successful collegiate runner (North Carolina), and recent addition to the Nike Oregon Project (team), she will likely breath new life into American distance running.

Notice her comment about long(er) "tempo runs" ... in the 12-16 mile range.  More and more of the elite marathoners are singing the praises of "tempo runs" these days ... at or just below race (day) pace.  Like Hal Higdon is fond of saying "... if you want to run fast[er], you have to run fast[er] ...".

Also notice her comment about "quality" vs "quantity".  More "speed" work (quality) vs. more "mileage" (quantity) is a long standing debate with strong arguments on both sides of the question.  In the end, each of us must find the balance which works best for our body.

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Running is for the Birds 10Km (OR),  2011 Sunriver Marathon (OR)

Yeah, she ran well for a first marathon in NY - although the womens' race was pretty slow this year... 

I guess it's not really quality *versus* quantity it's a question of finding the right balance between the two.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I certainly enjoyed watching NY this year and being excited cheering for her, even if I was "watching" it virtually.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

2011 Redding (CA)

One of our Group members (PerfesserR) ran the 2010 NYC Marathon, but was likely a little ways behind Shalane (humor).  Like you, I did see video of her effort, and was very happy for her.  For the immediate future, she will return to the "track", but I'm hoping there are more marathons on the horizon.

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

Imminent Catastrophe

One of our Group members (PerfesserR) ran the 2010 NYC Marathon, but was likely a little ways behind Shalane (humor).  

Yeah, but she got a head start! Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

PerfesserR I believe you would beat her next year! Just a little mileage maybe.

2011 Redding (CA)

Another good article ... which mentions Shalane

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=129608150200598800

and a few other runners sponsored by Nike.