Running Readers

Ultra Marathon Man - Confessions of an All-Night Runner by Dean Karnazes (Read 507 times)

Wow! I'm not normally a big fan of non-science based books on running (i.e. Daniels or Pfitz, etc), but I put this on my Amazon wish list because jlynnbob recommended it to me a while back. My wife got it for me this Christmas. For me, anyway, it was a page turner and I blew through it yesterday. I've seen a lot of controversy (on message boards) regarding this guy - but I had never heard "the other side of the story". I'm glad I did. This guy is a good writer and has an amazing story of transforming himself from a non athletic person into an amazing ultra runner. I've always believed that if you can run 5 miles - that you can run any distance if you put in the training and have the mental will to get to the finish line. Dean confirmed that for me time and again throughout his book. I am so glad that I read it.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Dean's a "media whore" (not that that is a bad thing) which is what polarizes him amongst the ultra running community. On the one hand, he's bringing a lot of people out for trail runs and ultra events that might not otherwise have tested themselves. On the other hand, he's bringing a lot of people out for trail runs and ultra events that might not otherwise have tested themselves. That, and he is very good about making a spectacle of what he does and bringing attention to things, and ultra running has a kind of community to it that likes to keep things low key and homey. Everybody knows one another. I wrote about whether we get a fair depiction of Dean or whether he is overrated last Summer after he got an ESPY award for best outdoor athlete. As for the book, I really enjoyed it for all the reasons that you mention. I enjoy that conversational style of telling a story.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I enjoyed this one as well...He IS a bit of an overdramatic personality, but I still enjoyed the reading....Makes me want to give an ultra a shot (still aways off though, I'm doing my first 1/2 marathon in January in Phoenix)
        "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.

Running safely

This was the first introduction I had to ultra running. I did not know anything about the controversy surrounding him until after I read it. I think he is a nut. But a nut who has inspired me to consider longer runs of my own. I have not worked up to a marathon yet, but I am constantly inspired by having read the book. It is well written and easy to read. I rarely read a book twice, but I have considered picking this one up again to enjoy his antics.
            I read this book when it came out or long before Karno was "ohmygodIfreakinghatethatguykarno!" so I like to think I am really unbiased, or at the very least untainted by the message board frenzy about the persona we all call an egomaniac. I liked the book. It was interesting to read about another person's turning point and how someone else dealt with dissatisfaction in his career/life and how others manage the sort of intense personality that can lead to ruin. That being said, I just set the world record for number of times I ran back and forth from one side of my living room to another. On a megascreen. In Times Square.
            2008 Goals
          • Run 1250 miles
          • Get down to 135!
          • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
            • That being said, I just set the world record for number of times I ran back and forth from one side of my living room to another. On a megascreen. In Times Square.
              Big grin I see you learned a LOT from the book! Still chuckling, Renee!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?